• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Need some help. Brother wants me to tag along and do some trapshooting with him. Problem is I know pretty much zero about shotguns.
    Anyone have a shortlist of what I should be looking for? Brands, models, gauge, chokes, pump vs. single shot vs. semi vs. double barrel? He is currently running a 20ga, but I'm not set on the same ammo but would be nice. Realistically never do anything other than target sports-no hunting.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My rule is to never buy anything for a new gun sport before I have tasted the sport.

Surely your brother will share his shotgun with you? I know that the first time I went trapshooting, about a dozen guys were trying to loan me a shotgun and ammo.

But to, answer your question, my next door neighbor shoots trap with a single shot and I use a O/U. Both 12 gauge and that is about the depth of my knowledge.

He wins money and I don't.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    A lot of guys who shoot trap shoot 12 gauge O/Us.

Personally, I would look for a semi-auto 12 gauge. I love blasting clays with my Remington 11-87.

What budget are you working with? If you are just looking for a cheap shotgun to trapshoot, you probably could not go wrong with just a standard Mossy 500 pump. That is going to get a nice pump and into the sport with a minimal investment.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    You could get a Remington 870 home and field combo. Comes with a 26 or 28 inch barrel for clays(plus small creatures), and an 18 inch barrel for bad guys.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Get a saiga 12 with a 20rd drum... It'll **** everyone off which is more fun than shooting clays. Ask me how i know...
    images

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Get a saiga 12 with a 20rd drum... It'll **** everyone off which is more fun than shooting clays. Ask me how i know...
    images

We did that minus the conversion and the drum. Also used a couple 18" barreled, pistol grip only shotguns (a 12 and a 20). I tried my 20g Stoeger Coach Gun. None of us did that well but we made a lot of noise.

I'm wanting to get an O/U (probably a Stoeger) in 12 or 20g pretty much for this purpose. The Stoegers are fairly cheap and are pretty decent shotguns.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I'm wanting to get an O/U (probably a Stoeger) in 12 or 20g pretty much for this purpose. The Stoegers are fairly cheap and are pretty decent shotguns.

Not meaning to lead the discussion in a different direction - but any experience with Stoegers? I have no experience with them and have always been curious - affordable!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Sloughfoot gave good info. The trap game designed for 12 gauge and is single shot friendly, even if you have a repeater, you load shells one at a time. Doubles trap is the only time you load two. The common trap set up is a combo break open, with long single barrel, and a slightly shorter double barrel set fitted for the same stock & receiver. A true trap gun has a stock biased for a slightly higher head position and well as a taper on the rib that places more of the pattern above the beads at 40 yards. My Beretta Gold trap is about 65% high, some people like them 100% high. This is so you always have full vision of the clay target. Since a true trap gun is pretty expensive with entry level O/U being around $2,000, I agree with the man above, get well versed on the sport before you start spending money. At any of the bigger shoots $15,000 plus shotguns are pretty common. You can get by with anything that safely shoots.
    Once peoople get used to seeing you around the trap club and you act like a gentleman, some trap shooters will let you try their guns so you will be able to understand what kind of gun you are looking for.

The Beretta 391 trap and the Remington 1100 or 1187 trap models to pretty good too, just be sure to but a shell catcher so your spent hull does not dent another shooters stock. Some stock sets are over $5,000 and you would not want to have to replace something you damaged.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    You could get a Remington 870 home and field combo. Comes with a 26 or 28 inch barrel for clays(plus small creatures), and an 18 inch barrel for bad guys.
    Funny that u say that, i was looking at them.

And as far as a $5000 stock and $15,000 guns....uh, no. This is just purely for a fun time with friends and family.
    And not familiar with Stoegger's. Don't know anything about shotguns...yet.

IF I were to do anything competitive it would be pistol shooting. Just "feels" more natural

Last edited:

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    I had a Stoeger Condor O/U. I shot trap with it and it was fine in my opinion. Plus it was inexpensive. I had never shot trap before and first time out I was hitting 18 and 19 clays out of 25 per round, with no practice. I am no expert at trap, but it shot very well in my opinion. O/U is more reliable that semiauto. Less parts. They are usually less than $400 new. You can find used ones in the $200-$300 range. My 2 cents.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Need some help. Brother wants me to tag along and do some trapshooting with him. Problem is I know pretty much zero about shotguns.
    Anyone have a shortlist of what I should be looking for? Brands, models, gauge, chokes, pump vs. single shot vs. semi vs. double barrel? He is currently running a 20ga, but I'm not set on the same ammo but would be nice. Realistically never do anything other than target sports-no hunting.

CHECK out BENELLI semi-auto:rockwoot:

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Grab any shotgun really till you get a feel for the sport to see if you like it. When I first started I didn't know if I would enjoy it, so for about a year I was shooting with my Rem 870 HD (no choke, 18" barrel... pretty much the worst setup you can have :D). After figuring out that I really enjoyed shooting trap I started moving into dedicated trap guns and ended up setting on a nice tricked out Benelli. But make sure you enjoy it before spending over a grand on a trap gun...

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    If you are just shooting at home witha spring operated thrower, find a shotgun that is multi purpose Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 are the most popular. Make sure that whatever you get has screw in chokes. This is very important to be able to change your shot pattern.
    Either of these guns will work fine starting out trap shooting at your local gun club. You will notice though that most shooters will be using single barrels or o/u's. The Browning BT99 is a very good entry level trap gun they can be picked up for around $800 if you shop around. WORD of CAUTION!!! if you buy a used trap gun make sure it does not have a release trigger!! They are common on trap guns and very dangerous for a beginner!!

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Ahem, I am ignorant on this subject, help me out here, what is a release trigger?

I was just looking at trap shooting threads and came across this. i went trap shooting for the first time last night, and saw a release trigger. i didn't even know they existed. it is a trigger that you pull back, and it doesn't fire until you release it. Supposed to eliminate flinching and other bad habits.

Juday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Not to be an ass, but I don't know why everyone is suggesting shotguns when none of us know what fits him properly?....

Shotguns feel different to every single person that holds one. The length of pull, the comb adjustment, the balance, the weight, etc. What fits me perfectly might not fit you at all. That being said, go hold/shoulder as many shotgun brands as you can. Find out what fits you PROPERLY and not what everyone else suggests. It might be the greatest shotgun in the world, but if you can't point/shoulder it without making adjustments, or sight down the barrel properly (with both eyes open) without moving your head up/down, it isn't going to be worth jack crap to you when you go to make the shot.

Take measurements to find your length of pull and start searching for guns from there. Best of luck to you!

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Wow, I forgot all about this thread. Yes, I know to find out what fits and I don't take that sort of comment as being an ass. It's true. The ultimate decision is the gun owner and what fits them. But suggestions to check out are always good, too.

Remington 870 BTW. Felt good, reach was good. Fun to shoot. Accurate. What can I say?

Top Bottom