• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I am a shotgun / pistol guy but I have decided that I need a rifle and I think I want an AR. I would love an AR in a 308 plat form but my bank is that deep right now.
    A friend told me about Del-Ton. What does everyone suggest to look at? I want to use it for close range as-well-as some longer range shooting.

Thanks!

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Want an AR, what to do?

Read, study, read some more. Decide what you want. Don't buy one because it is cheaper and then spend money on cheap accessories just so it is cool looking. Spend the money for something better, learn how to shoot it, and then worry about any accessories.

:twocents:

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Read, study, read some more. Decide what you want. Don't buy one because it is cheaper and then spend money on cheap accessories just so it is cool looking. Spend the money for something better, learn how to shoot it, and then worry about any accessories.

Thank you. That's the plan. I don't like to buy cheap things. I've been reading a lot and I believe the best thing for me is to buy a good "base" model or build one, shoot for a bit before adding accessories.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Is a chrome lined barrel something that's worth the money? I talked to a local guy and he said it was a waste of money but the forums say to get it.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Is a chrome lined barrel something that's worth the money? I talked to a local guy and he said it was a waste of money but the forums say to get it.

Honestly its hard to find barrels for ar that arnt chrome lined, there hard durable, and easy to clean... but non chrome line barrel tend to be a bit more accurate but a real pain to clean, but i doubt you would see much a different in the too in a ar platform

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    any of the hum drum companies will work for plinking.
    bushmaster, rockriver, dpms, stag etc...

if you want quality then go colt, lmt, bravo, noveske, or maybe cmmg.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville

Yes, in my opinion it is worth the money. It prevents corrosion, makes it easier to clean, and extends the barrel life.

It is expensive to get a chrome plating in a bore of uniform thickness, and this leads to a bit less accuracy in most chrome lined barrels - but we are talking like 0.5 MOA. In my case, I will likely never be a good enough shooter for that to make a real difference - my shooting ability is the biggest limiting factor (I would imagine that applies to nearly all shooters).

Stainless barrels are used on match rifles, because it is easier to rifle consistently.

Chrome lining gained popularity because of the use of corrosive ammo being shot at high volumes. You could get away with a barrel that is not chrome lined, just make sure you clean ritualistically.

The type of ammo you intend to use will likely be the biggest factor - if you plan on using corrosive ammo it would be a bigger factor.

If they use 4140 vs 4150 steel to produce the barrel is another factor (4150 contains more chrome in the steel itself before lining, and is more expensive).

Haikufunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Please define what you mean by long range? Also, is this going to be used to shoot targets at a longer range, or varmint (coyotes, etc.)? This will make a world of difference in the type of AR configurations people will suggest. If absolute accuracy is what you are looking to achieve, then you may want to consider a stainless steel bull barrel, however, this will increase the weight and limit its use in other situations. Decide on the purpose of the rifle and go from there.

As always, "buy once, cry once." It is better to delay gratification and get what you want then to be forever wishing you had done it right the first time.

desmodue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Peru, IN
    Stainless steel is actually more problematic to rifle, the tooling is more expensive and must be replaced at a higher rate. This and the fact the better SS barrels are hand lapped is the main reason stainless barrels are much more expensive, not the addition of a few ounces of chromium and nickel.

4140 and 4150 steels contain the exact same amounts of chromium (about 1%), and molybdenum (about .25%) The ONLY difference between the two is that 4140 has .40% carbon and 4150 has .50% carbon.

Your typical AR barrel might have about one half ounce of chromium and molybdnum combined in it. 4140 and 4150 steels are more expensive than plain jane steels like 1010 for one simple reason: Volume. CrMo steel barrel blanks are labor intensive and low production lots. In the big picture a run of 10,000 AR barrels would equal approx. 10 tons. This is a huge order of barrel blanks, but it is almost nothing to a huge steel mill, they probably spill that much in a day.

Buy a chrome lined barrel because it is easier to clean. The rifling wear isn't the huge problem people think, however a chrome lined chamber will greatly resist errosion, which is where barrels really "wear out" anyway.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana

CMMG belongs on the list with the other hum drum companies, add Daniel Defense to the "quality" companies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

I have about a dozen AR15s at any given time and I never buy chrome lined barrels. I prefer stainless barrels on my longer range guns and can get better than 1/2 MOA at 200 yards. Chrome lining is for folks who don't clean their guns or shoot corrosive ammo. It is "mil-spec" but the military doesn't necessarily spec what is best for civilian use, they spec for durability in combat.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

Still can't see how people throw rockriver in the same boat with dpms and stag.

Besides the buffer tube and lack of staking on the castle nut, I'm scratching my head on how exactly it isn't ABOVE a colt.

Top Bottom