• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    Give me your top 5 choices for brands of black rifles in order 1 thru 5 and then what did you like about # 1 to make it your #1. :ar15:

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    1: Smith & Wesson M&P 15 T #1 - Comes with everything but an optic ( troy ind. free float quad rail with troy ind flip ups) just the best value.

2: Rock River comp - Very well built and respected weapon

3: Colt M4 - Not the best but will do the job...very over rated and over priced but has good resale value

4: Bushmaster xm-15 - Will go bang everytime and is priced well

5: DPMS m4 - just as good as bushmaster but doesnot have the resale value

TRLREDY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    Indianapolis
    1. Colt-The standard by which all others are judged.
    2. LMT-Could swap places with Colt for #1 but I have a Colt and not an LMT....though I do want one as well.:D
    3. Sabre Defense
    4. Rock River
    5. Bushmaster

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Are you asking to rate:

a) Who builds the best AR?
    I like the A, B, C adage. Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt. Rock River seems good too. I know nothing of DSA's AR builds... only their FAL - their FAL has a great reputation.

b) What is the best platform? (ie. CETME/HK, FN FAL, AR, AK, M14, etc.)
    I like FAL and M14 for battle rifles...

c) Best "black rifles" platform and manufacturer? Would "black rifle" be a battle rifle or assault rifle?

Me? I'd like to have a DSA SA-58 OSW. (Instead, I've got a Bushmaster AR and a inch pattern FAL.)

SA58OSW.gif

;)

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Give me your top 5 choices for brands of black rifles in order 1 thru 5

Are we talking strictly about ARs here? Cuz I have some AKs that are black, too. :)

My preference will always be to build my own ARs, so I'd have to put "Shooter521 Custom" as the #1 brand. ;) But as far as off-the-rack complete rifles go:

1) Charles Daly - they sought input from end users when planning their AR line, and offer a variety of solid setups at competitive prices

2) LMT - .gov supplier that builds more or less to the TDP, but without the Colt attitude or pricetag. Only downside is lack of variety (if you want something other than an M4 type carbine, look elsewhere)

3) Smith & Wesson - good quality & feature set, willing to listen to user feedback, excellent value for the money

4) Rock River Arms - generally solid, and offer extra features (extended safety/selector, match trigger, Hogue grip) for the same price as equivalent models from other brands

5) Bushmaster - longtime industry leader, product is generally available, competitively priced and a decent value

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Are you asking to rate:

a) Who builds the best AR?
    I like the A, B, C adage. Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt. Rock River seems good too. I know nothing of DSA's AR builds... only their FAL - their FAL has a great reputation.

b) What is the best platform? (ie. CETME/HK, FN FAL, AR, AK, M14, etc.)
    I like FAL and M14 for battle rifles...

c) Best "black rifles" platform and manufacturer? Would "black rifle" be a battle rifle or assault rifle?

Me? I'd like to have a DSA SA-58 OSW. (Instead, I've got a Bushmaster AR and a inch pattern FAL.)

SA58OSW.gif

;)

I want one of those too. .308 DSA. The best round in what could be the best/most usable presentation.
    My first choice for 'black rifle' is the M14. Smith Enterprise, Fulton, Springfield, I love them all. That DSA .308 looks like it is something I could love to have. :)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Are we talking strictly about ARs here? Cuz I have some AKs that are black, too. :)

My preference will always be to build my own ARs, so I'd have to put "Shooter521 Custom" as the #1 brand. ;) But as far as off-the-rack complete rifles go:

1) Charles Daly - they sought input from end users when planning their AR line, and offer a variety of solid setups at competitive prices

2) LMT - .gov supplier that builds more or less to the TDP, but without the Colt attitude or pricetag. Only downside is lack of variety (if you want something other than an M4 type carbine, look elsewhere)

3) Smith & Wesson - good quality & feature set, willing to listen to user feedback, excellent value for the money

4) Rock River Arms - generally solid, and offer extra features (extended safety/selector, match trigger, Hogue grip) for the same price as equivalent models from other brands

5) Bushmaster - longtime industry leader, product is generally available, competitively priced and a decent value

I'd pretty much go with this list, but I'd take Smith & Wesson off the list and substitute in Alexander Arms for #3. AA guns are hard to get, in non-normal calibers, expensive, but made to very very high tolerances.

Charles Daly is very very good, I like their stuff a lot.

For #6, and I know I will get grief for this, I'd put in Olympic Arms. They have a crummy reputation in many circles but they are actually one of the ONLY companies that actually makes their own guns. Most companies assemble guns from parts. Many actually buy some of their parts from Oly. Oly is a bargain out in the market, their finish is not as nice as some of the other brands but their guns are better than their reputation and their prices are often lower than other brands. Plus they have the best warranty in the industry.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    1. Colt- Have one and its sweet.
    2. LMT- Want one bad.
    3.Bushmaster- Been 100% in 6,000 rds.
    4. Rock River - Had one sold it and never looked back lol . 5. Thats all Ive had so cant rate any more

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Ok I thought of two others to make an even five:D

1. Colt
    2. Bushmaster
    3. Rock River Arms.
    4. Armalite
    5. Stag Arms. *if your left handed*

Last edited:

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    My Top Rated

1...Colt 6920 ( agree with above post "What all others are judged by ")

2...LMT

3...Rock River

4...S&W

5...Bushmaster

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    For #6, and I know I will get grief for this, I'd put in Olympic Arms. They have a crummy reputation in many circles but they are actually one of the ONLY companies that actually makes their own guns. Most companies assemble guns from parts. Many actually buy some of their parts from Oly. Oly is a bargain out in the market, their finish is not as nice as some of the other brands but their guns are better than their reputation and their prices are often lower than other brands. Plus they have the best warranty in the industry. __________________

I will not give you grief. I have sold hundreds of their rifles in the last few months with not one single problem. Yes, they got sort of a bad rap about 20 years ago, but that was a bogus rap and you really need to see/use one to understand. They are without a doubt the best value in an AR right now. I am particular on what I take home and use personally and for my family, each one of my boys has a K3BM4A3!
    They are GTG in my opinion.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    Warning: Colts are BAD. I will take them off of your hands for about half of what you paid for them so that you may go out and buy a good brand. 6920 are probably the worst so I am only offering $300 each for them.

I am doing this in the spirit of Christmas, prices may drop Dec. 26th.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    1...Colt 6920 ( agree with above post "What all others are judged by ")

The biggest problem I have with Colt, and why they didn't make my list, is that they don't make the 6920 and other "LE" series guns available to the general public. I can't bring myself to support a gunmaker who doesn't support the shooting public. Colt wants to put all its eggs in the .mil/LE basket at the expense of the commercial market - their "civilian" guns are still made with pinned stocks, permanently attached comps, and shaved bayonet lugs, fer cryin' out loud! As with their 1911s, Colt is getting eaten alive by other manufacturers offering more features for less money, with equivalent quality.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    The biggest problem I have with Colt, and why they didn't make my list, is that they don't make the 6920 and other "LE" series guns available to the general public. I can't bring myself to support a gunmaker who doesn't support the shooting public. Colt wants to put all its eggs in the .mil/LE basket at the expense of the commercial market - their "civilian" guns are still made with pinned stocks, permanently attached comps, and shaved bayonet lugs, fer cryin' out loud! As with their 1911s, Colt is getting eaten alive by other manufacturers offering more features for less money, with equivalent quality.

I agree. They supported the crime bill, b/c it put them in favor w/ Uncle Sam... I will NEVER own one. Welded muzzle brakes, low round mags BEFORE the ban came out...hummmm someone just happened to want to sell something :ar15:

Dr. Pretorius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I own one of the new Bushmaster M4 gas piston uppers that I put on a lower I built. It was expensive ($1,100 just for the upper), but this thing is as reliable as my AK's and as accurate as any direct impingement AR that I've ever shot. I can even feed Wolf ammo thru her and she don't miss a beat. Hell I had it out shooting three times before I got around to cleaning it the first time and it never failed me once.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    My list is longer. But as fair as my personal opinion can be. An Im only listing what I have personally shot.

VZ-58 The best in 7.62x39 Quallity, Reliabillity, and yes its EVil and Black :)
    Ak-47 With a tactical setup
    Bushmaster <<< If I ever own one it will be a Bushy :)
    Colt
    Armalite
    Dpms << Had a friend hate his but I shot another guys and it was sweet!
    rock river
    Olympic

Top Bottom