• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've recently purchased a very gently used Remington 870 12ga that came with a magazine tube extension. I think it's a +1...not sure. 2 3"shells will fit in the tube, but that doesn't leave any room for the compressed spring. It may very well be a +2 extension with 2.75" shells, though.

Anyway, I'm having issues:

When I load the magazine tube full of shells, the magazine spring hangs up at the mag tube-to-extension interface.

As in: The first shell out of the tube is under tension and racks just fine. But all subsequent shells are just sliding too-and-fro in the tube under no spring tension.

Any ideas as to what would cause the spring to hang up like this? And how to correct it?

As I've said, I bought it used. It didn't come with the original mag tube spring or cap.

Advice welcomed!

-J-

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    check to see if the mag tube has detents. some factory remy tubes had detents to deter using extended tubes. unscrew the extension and check the factory tube. if they are present, this could be the problem. i use a mill, but they can be drilled out with no ill effect. just use a bit slightly larger and make sure you center in the dentent.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    check to see if the mag tube has detents. some factory remy tubes had detents to deter using extended tubes. unscrew the extension and check the factory tube. if they are present, this could be the problem. i use a mill, but they can be drilled out with no ill effect. just use a bit slightly larger and make sure you center in the dentent.

You're the man!

It does indeed seem that my shotgun has...at least at some point...had the detents. That someone attempted to drill out. And didn't make it.

So, where does that leave me? Partially drilled out magazine tube detents that are screwing with my spring. I HATE it when that happens...

Pics:
    Top of mag tube
    topoftube.jpg

This is the bottom of the mag tube
    bottomoftube.jpg

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The pictures show the remnants of the detents at about the 1:30 position on both photos...

So, any suggestions on how I can remove the already-attempted removal? Would an oblong hole in the tube cause any issues? Like if I put the bit in the hole and then ran it into the remaining detent?

Thanks again.

-J-

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    were it me, i would simply continue what is started in your photos. using a half round swiss #2 (med fine) file, i'd dress the inside of the tube down then polish with some 400 or 600 crocus cloth on a wooden dowel. all you are looking for is smooth travel for the spring. from your pictures, i'd say you are still in good shape. if you still have trouble after dressing the holes, you may need to chamfer them a bit from the inside. go slow, try often. please resist the temptation to use a dremel. please.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    How about using a center punch? Set the tube on a block of wood, insert the center punch and gently tap the other side out...

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    How about using a center punch? Set the tube on a block of wood, insert the center punch and gently tap the other side out...
    that would work if you had a punch or drift radiused to match the ID of the tube. good idea, but too easy to get the tube out of round.

keep us posted on your progress. i'd be glad to take a look if you run into more trouble.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I was suggesting to put the punch in one hole and tap out the indention on the other side. Looking at the pictures, the previous owner just about got it all - a little tapping with a punch might be easier than removing more metal.

Or, use a Dremel. :naughty:

Top Bottom