• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Ok, while watching that Disaster Preppers show the other nite my wife freaked about it happening. I mentioned that I do not have a semi-auto rifle and would probably be a good idea for that kinda thing.

She agreed and told me I could save for one! :rockwoot:

I decide I like the AR platform the most for semi auto and want to get into .308 caliber since I already have that ammo on hand. I realize the .223 is cheaper, but meh, I want .308. That being said, what would be the best rifle to buy for about $1200?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    The dpms is a good choice, they build quality stuff. I love mine and havent had any problems with mine. Or you could always put yourself one together

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I know you want an AR...

In your budget you could probably get a better FAL (DSA) or CETME than a DPMS-brand AR.

Could also probably get into a used M1-A, too.

Heck, even Ruger's new Scout Rifle might be in your budget; but mags will be expensive.

Are you set on the AR platform? If so, then don't be dismayed at the lack of choices. Be prepared to buy used; or even build your own.

-J-

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Well played sir.

Thanks! I thought so too! :D

Where does everyone "build" theirs at? I tinkered around a bit and buying the individual parts was more expensive. Am I missing something?

I did look at the FAL and the M1A and have not ruled them out completely. I am still learning about what to look for in a rifle so bare with me. I am familiar with the AR platform from the Marines so I guess thats why I am partial to it. I guess I could go .223 if that was the best option. Uggh!

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Well here it is! I finally got one.
    Rock River Arms, LAR-15 CAR A4 (I believe), 5.56
    picture.php

The previous owner painted a digital pattern on it that I would like to remove, how does one go about doing that?

Plus I want to take the FSP off and add a gas block, is that hard to do?

Any feedback would be awesome.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Probably going to have to blast it to remove the finish, then most likely put on a new one. May be best just to have it painted, or do it yourself. The sight should remove with pins, then you can replace it. I've done that sort of thing. It's easy. Cool you got something AR, I was going to say don't get an HK91; mine chews the hell out of brass.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    You can still mount a scope on it with the front sight there. It will disappear in the scopes picture with a magnification over 2x. I know it sounds weird but it does. I feel that for a SHTF rifle iron sights as a back up are a must have. I have seen far too many optics go south or get knocked out of zero.
    Nice rifle by the way, I have one similar.

Top Bottom