• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    I think a NM rear sight offers you a choice of two different rear peep sights that you can flip between. I am not sure what a NM front post is.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    the rear peep has finer adjustments and is a smaller diameter opening. A question to ask is what rifle?What is length of the barrel? What do you plan on using the rifle for? Highpower shooting?

There are some manufacturers now that make rear flip up peeps that have a smaller NM peep and mil-spec GI standard sight in one. My midwest industries on my xcr has this both on one outfit.

There are many quality aftermarket makers that make replacement peeps for your rear sight, or you can just buy a whole NM sight.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Std rear AR sight is 1 minute elevation clicks and 1/2 minute wind clicks. Rear sights are available in either 1/2 & 1/2 or 1/4 & 1/4 configurations and are good for general purpose or match shooting. You an also specify a rear aperature size smaller than std. Folks with young eyes go as small as .038. I use a .045 for all around match use.

Std front sight is a .072 wide sight. .062 and .050 are also available. Young eyes like the .050 because it is the same width as the black on the highpower target. Us older guys use the wider sights because they are much easier to see and focus on. I have shot some of my best scores with the .072 front sight. 200, 300, and 600 yards.

NM really is a misnomer for the AR because there are no "official" NM parts as there were for the Garand. There were actual drawings and NM marked parts issued by the government owned Springfield Armory for the M1 Garand. For the AR, there are parts that make it perform better, but they are not "NM" or marked as such.

The cool thing about the AR is that with a float tube, good trigger, 1/2 minute rear sight, and a stock 9 twist barrel you are ready to shoot highpower with 69 grain bullets out to 300 yards. A 7 or 8 twist barrel will allow 80 grain bullets out to 600 yards.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom