• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I've been wanting a "tacti" .22lr just for the "fun factor" for a while. I keep going back and forth in my head as to a GSG-5 or an AR in .22lr. I've got AR's and have lowers I could set an upper on or even build a dedicated AR .22lr. The M&P's and other factory built AR's just feel like toys to me, so they are out. The GSG-5's look like so much fun. I stumbled onto a local deal for a never fired GSG-5 SD for $390 and I fear that deal won't be around long. So my question to the fellow INGO crowd. Which to buy for the fun factor?:dunno:

Anyone owned both and can give input on which is just more enjoyable long term?

One long term line of thinking would be to Form 1 the GSG-5 to SBR it then head down the real silencer path. Just sounds fun to me.:ar15:

Decisions ... decisions ... decisions ...

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    I have the Colt M4 15-22 and really like it. Also been looking at the GSG-5. Seem to be several nice used ones out there for sale. Was into Plainfield Shooting supply a couple months ago and they had NEW GSG-5 with the standard stock for $349.00. As Turnerdye1 said " May have to mix it up" !

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Being a huge fan of the MP5, having the GSG-5 was a no brainer. Plus it goes nicely with my ATF legal HK-94.

My daughter and I have put several thousand rounds through our GSG-5 and have had no real issues. Actually my poor daughter was shooting her competition AR-15 which weighs about a ton and when she picked up the GSG-5 she actually fell forward as it is so light and has virtually no recoil. It is a fun, reliable, and very accurate bullet hose!!!!

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    No thanks to the conversion. Either dedicated .22lr upper or the GSG-5. Leaning towards the GSG-5 right now for something different, but going to sleep on it.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have shot the GSG-5 once. A nice gentleman at Attuerbury let me fire off a few on his. I loved it and am considering getting one myself. It grouped really well for me and would totally get one if I had the cash right now.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    For a "fun gun" how do you figure? I've got one and love it, she does just fine. I think your expectations are too high sometimes... not everyone is looking for peak performance all the time buddy ;)

usuallya rimfire is 1-16 twist, a ar is 1-7 to 1-12. with 1-9 being most common. all the reports ive read show 6 inch groups at 50 yds and i dont think that would be really fun. personally i just would not even consider this option but to each his own.

also mabye i have a messed up definition of fun gun/fun shooting. some folks are perfectly happy with a gun that goes bang every time. im not, i need a gun that the acuracy is not going to **** me off every time i take it out and spend hours trying to figure out what to do to make it better.

Last edited:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I love my GSG-5! Sure, it's just a little plinker, but you can add so many accessories for cheap. Besides, ATI got sued and they won't be around forever... :twocents:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    ATI got sued? Over what?

H&K sued them for design rights and all that good crap. It happened a while ago. Let me see if I can find some articles on it.

Edit: Ah, here it is. If you can find a Gen 1 or Gen 2, you've got yourself a winner, as the new ones they are producing have different sights on them and a few minor cosmetic changes. They aren't exactly like the MP5 anymore...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/10/17/hk-and-ati-settle-lawsuit-gsg-5-sales-will-cease-shortly/

More info on it...
    http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107496

If you just google GSG-5 Lawsuit, or H&K/ATI lawsuit you can find all kinds of things about it. I bought my GSG-5 when I heard about the lawsuit, as I wanted an actual MP5 clone and wasn't even sure if ATI would still be making them...

Last edited:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I love my GSG-5! Sure, it's just a little plinker, but you can add so many accessories for cheap. Besides, ATI got sued and they won't be around forever... :twocents:

Depends on which ones you are looking. They re-designed them to look a little LESS like the MP5 after a settlement with HK. Those will be around for a long time. If you stumble upon one of the original ones (which I prefer because they look more like the real thing) those are harder to come by.

I should clarify... the newer ones are GSG522's. The GSG-5's are the older ones.

Also, check out the HK MP5-22. It's nicer in fit/finish than the GSG's.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    H&K sued them for design rights and all that good crap. It happened a while ago. Let me see if I can find some articles on it.

Edit: Ah, here it is. If you can find a Gen 1 or Gen 2, you've got yourself a winner, as the new ones they are producing have different sights on them and a few minor cosmetic changes. They aren't exactly like the MP5 anymore...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ettle-lawsuit-gsg-5-sales-will-cease-shortly/

More info on it...
    H&K lawsuit kills GSG-5 production/imports - Assaultweb.net Forums

If you just google GSG-5 Lawsuit, or H&K/ATI lawsuit you can find all kinds of things about it. I bought my GSG-5 when I heard about the lawsuit, as I wanted an actual MP5 clone and wasn't even sure if ATI would still be making them...

Very interesting, thanks for the links!

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Having had a GSG-5 and currently have a dedicated AR in 22, the AR wins.

It's more reliable than the GSG-5 ever was.

Just my $0.02 about GSG-5 reliability, I've had 0 issues with it. I also break mine down every 3,000 rounds into every piece and give it a really good cleaning.

I've put probably 20,000 rounds through mine, if not more and it doesn't miss a beat.

Top Bottom