• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ok, so I'm frustrated and irritated. Mostly at myself...

So, against my better judgement, I went ahead and bought myself a Stag lower for a specific build...

I say against my better judgement, because I fully intended to color-fill the engraving on the lower. After seeing how coarse the uncoated anodizing was, I got it anyway... Figured it'd be a pain, but I could get it done.

WRONG.

So now I'm trying to figure out how to get the paint off the lower without damaging the anodizing, because the excess paint has gotten into that coarse coating and won't come off. Any ideas?

90% Isopropyl alcohol - nope.
    Acetone - nope.
    Strong pressure with paper towels, rags, towels, etc. - nope.

Got my Spike's done, since they're not doing it at the moment, the smoother finish wasn't a problem, and the Doublestar I did a while back was a breeze.

This coarse/rough coating has got me ready to chuck it out the window... So I either need to get ALL the paint off (and possibly sell it, I don't care for the coarse finish at all, personal preference and all) or trade it off...

Anyone got a plain Spike's or Armalite? Lol. Or Sun Devil, Mega, Black Rain, AXTS, or anything else smooth for trade for a slightly colored Stag?

Seriously, this is just buggin me, and this is half rant. I just had an idea in my head of what I wanted to do, and now can't get it done...

/Rant off.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    You won't damage it. Spray it with brake cleaner and scrub with old toothbrush. Oil it up when finished.

Well, I was half-tempted to break out the steel wool, but stopped myself... Heh.

I know functionally anodizing is anodizing, but aesthetically, I much prefer a smooth finish (and because I prefer to color-fill, adds a personal touch without engraving costs...)

I'll have to find me some brake cleaner and scrub away... If I can get it cleaned might post pics of the family expansions tomorrow...

Of course if I get it cleaned I might be tempted to try to fill it again, and just end up repeating the vicious cycle...

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Well, after more liberal amounts of Acetone, some brake cleaner, aircraft stripper, and even a bronze brush (THAT was a mistake, went from smeared paint to smeared bronze...) it might look a little better. Going to wipe it down again tomorrow and see how it looks, maybe post pics and give someone a better idea of what I have going on...

Top Bottom