• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    How often does everyone clean the gas tube on their AR's?
    And what is the best way to do it? Do you need the long "pipe cleaners" or do you just hose them out with something?

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    You guys are wasting your time and product cleaning the gas tube. Do you think with all the pressure that there is really going to be anything left in the tube that really needs to be cleaned out?

:popcorn:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    As long as you're firing jacketed rounds with the right powder, the gas tube will remain clear. Powder was one of the problems in the old XM16s in Vietnam; they were loading the shells with powder recovered from surplus WWII ammunition, which doesn't work. Not for long, anyway.

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    Clean guns, really??? Oh yeah, clean em, but don't worry about the gas tube. Unless you shoot lots of very early 5.56 it's no problem.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    You guys are wasting your time and product cleaning the gas tube. Do you think with all the pressure that there is really going to be anything left in the tube that really needs to be cleaned out?

:popcorn:

Uncle Sam does.... we went thru alot of long, white pipecleaners !!!!

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have put thousands of rounds thru my Smithy M&P15T without cleaning the gas tube. The thing still fire without any problem. Like mentioned, stay away from old surplus ammo. :ar15:

trpsteelnuts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I gotta agree with not needing to clean the gas tube. I've had a armour's school put on by Rock River and they said it is not needed. my AR has had over 10,000 rounds through it without touching the tube once. It won't hurt to clean it, but it is not needed.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I field strip mine at around 400 or so rounds. I actually ran 1,200 rounds before I field striped it the first time. I wanted to see how many rounds fired before it started malfunctioning. The BCG and upper receiver where caked in carbon.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I field strip mine at around 400 or so rounds. I actually ran 1,200 rounds before I field striped it the first time. I wanted to see how many rounds fired before it started malfunctioning. The BCG and upper receiver where caked in carbon.

What does that have to do with the OP?

How often does everyone clean the gas tube on their AR's?

Just sayin'. :D

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Every time you pull the trigger, your cleaning gas tube. I've never understood the "I clean my rifle after every shot" crowd. You are creating more wear and tear on your firearm by tearing it down so frequently. A little bit of carbon is not going to cause you any problems.

Top Bottom