• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    Can someone point me to a tutorial on components of the AR15 or respond with info here. I frequently see "Upper" for sale, "Lower" for sale. Does one have to piece together a rifle? Why would you buy the upper and lower separately. I realize this is a naive question, and there are probably many good reasons for this. Thanks.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    You can buy complete rifles, but there's lots of reasons to build your own...

- YOU control EACH component it's made of.

- It can take as little or as much money (and time) and you care to spend. (My builds are going slow to be financially responsible).

- Personal accomplishment.

- Personalization.

I build my own computers, why not my own ARs?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Great questions!

Here is a picture of my old rifle. You will see it separated into "upper" and a "lower" receivers.

23wnzlt.jpg

When the two are mated together, you get one complete working rifle.

33y2dr5.jpg

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    OP, keep in mind on an AR it is the lower receiver that is considered the "firearm". If purchasing a lower from a dealer you will need to go through all the background check mumbo jumbo and will need to have an FFL do the transfer if purchasing from out of state.

The upper is just a "part" and can be bought without any hassle from anywhere provided it has a 16" barrel.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    You can save the 11% excise tax (that manufacturers pay on a complete rifle, that gets added into the retail price) buy buying a lower and then the upper.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have some 80% lowers I'm planning to complete with just basic parts for SHTF purposes, no 4473s or anything :)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    yeah...unless i come across one of those "once in a lifetime, guy needs quick money deals"....I build ALL my own AR's and purchase the majority of the parts online because the combination of the two...you will not find a complete rifle for a cheaper price....and you can still build it the way you want it

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    OP, keep in mind on an AR it is the lower receiver that is considered the "firearm". If purchasing a lower from a dealer you will need to go through all the background check mumbo jumbo and will need to have an FFL do the transfer if purchasing from out of state.

Or if you build your own from the ground up. The lower receiver is considered the firearm and will require an FFL.

Below is a picture of a stripped lower receiver.

images

Top Bottom