So.....My M44 Mosin Nagant is missing its bayonet...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    If you notice in this pic of one of my M44's that there is bracket that attaches to the barrel. You would have to find that and the bracket. But I would think that its probably soldered onto the barrel so might be kind of a pain to put one on it. Some of the others may chime in about it, if not PM 2cool9031 if its been done to a Mosin he has probably done it. Hope this helps

005.jpg

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The bracket is, indeed, attached permanently to the barrel. The bayo attaches to the bracket and is removable for servicing. If you don't have the bracket, are you sure it's an M44 and not an M38 (a 91/30 cut down to carbine length)? It would be unusual, to say the least, to lose the bayo off an M44 as they're meant to be permanently attached.

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    i have the lug there, just no bayonet or spring attachment thing so i found a website where i can buy the spring the thing that latches to the lug and the bayonet itself i was just wondering about the installation of it...is it just simple like attach screw here and fold? or what?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    The bracket is, indeed, attached permanently to the barrel. The bayo attaches to the bracket and is removable for servicing. If you don't have the bracket, are you sure it's an M44 and not an M38 (a 91/30 cut down to carbine length)? It would be unusual, to say the least, to lose the bayo off an M44 as they're meant to be permanently attached.

Actually it was the M91/59 that is a cut down 91/30. The M38 is one of the only models that the Russians made that didn't include a bayonet either attached or issued alongside. Basically the M38 looks like a M44 without the integral Bayonet.
    In these same lines the Russians didn't have a plan for how the soldier was to carry the issued bayonets (Obviously not an issue for the M44.) It was usually just looped in their belt but unless it was on their rifle they had to figure it out for themselves.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    i have the lug there, just no bayonet or spring attachment thing so i found a website where i can buy the spring the thing that latches to the lug and the bayonet itself i was just wondering about the installation of it...is it just simple like attach screw here and fold? or what?

Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2005) - Surplusrifle.com

Figure 3

It is easily done. Keep in mind these were designed to be incredibly simple. Don't over think it or you are not the person they designed it for. :D

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    If you notice in this pic of one of my M44's that there is bracket that attaches to the barrel. You would have to find that and the bracket. But I would think that its probably soldered onto the barrel so might be kind of a pain to put one on it. Some of the others may chime in about it, if not PM 2cool9031 if its been done to a Mosin he has probably done it. Hope this helps

005.jpg
    Exactly what he said....

Top Bottom