• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I have one and it's a nice plinker. The "gotcha" on mine was - it came with a Tiawan made mag instead of the original and it didn't feed correctly. I found a biz online selling orginal mags and after buying one it became a 100% reliable gun. You can learn more about them at surplusrifles.com

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Another thing is that they use a funky sized dovetail for the scope mount. I lucked into a set of scope rings made specifically for teh Romy Trainers. The one i had was wonderfully accurate and fun to shoot. they are a bit rough, but are well made rifles.

RomainianScopeLeft.jpg

Image055.jpg

Doug K

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the feed back.

I have read a little about mounting scopes it sounds like it will be a pain in the butt. But I think it might be worth the trouble.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I started with zephris at the INGO sks shoot and once I got it dialed in I was hitting 6in diameter objects at what im guessing is 100-150yds with it. Now his liked to FTF randomly but that was with the cheapest possible ammo around so I dont know what to blame.

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    IF you look around you can get one for around a $100. Most are more now. I know where two very nice ones are for $175 each. Bottom line is they are good shooters, alot of the problems are from the cheap magazines.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Well went and looked at the rifle. My gut told me to walk away from it. Everything looked nice but something didn't feel right.

Going to keep looking.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    So how do you mount a scope on one?

Also how can you tell how old it is? Can you tell by the S/N?

Hello,

It should have a date on it.

Some undercut the machine rail and use that; I just drilled and tapped mine (no longer have it).

Regards,

Josh

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I bumped into a fellow at the range one day who had his scoped. I asked about the rings he used and he said airgun rings ( I think BSA but not positive on that part of the story). He said airguns use a more narrow rail than typical rimfire's have.

jsnowy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Anything to be worried about?

I think that I'll be looking at that same rifle tomorrow, if its one that you saw on Armslist. I have some meetings in Fort Wayne tomorrow and I'm going to check it out.

Did anything in particular bother you? Or was it just "one of those feelings"?

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I think that I'll be looking at that same rifle tomorrow, if its one that you saw on Armslist. I have some meetings in Fort Wayne tomorrow and I'm going to check it out.

Did anything in particular bother you? Or was it just "one of those feelings"?

Yes that would be the same one.

The rifle looked like it was in good shape. Wood was a bit dark I think it was still soaked with comesoline, it was in the clip and the reciver so it needs a good cleaning.

The seller only had it a few months, and he told me he buys and sales guns. Seamed like a nice guy just got the over all feeling it was better to walk away at his price. Note sure I would have taken it at half his price. Good luck maybe it will be better for you.

jsnowy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Your report is quite accurate. Definitely can use a good cleaning.

I didn't have the same bad feeling as you and decided to purchase it. I kinda have a thing for these military trainers though and know these are hard to come by. I just couldn't resist.

Hopefully, I won't regret it!

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Hope it works good for you. Could have been just not right for me because it was meant to be yours.

I really like the military weapons also a lot of history in those rifles.

Congrats

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    Bought mine when it was on sale for 49.99 at Dunham's. Thought I couldn't go wrong with a 50 buck 22. When I got it home and shot it, I could place groups the size of a quarter at 50 with a cheap scope. Well after that I just had to refinish the stock, clean it up, reblue it and put a decent scope on it. I bought 2 more mags online and can't bring myself to sell or trade it it shoots so well. Easy to clean. Depending on what you have to spend I recommend getting 1, I would have bought more but all stores were out in my area. :(

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    probably uses the same Euro rail that is on CZ .22 rifles. I think they are 11mm. Ive also got a Diana air rifle with the same rail size.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    The CZ 452's (non-American) rail is 11mm, CZ 452 American is 3/8", and the Romanian trainer's comes in narrowest at 8mm.

Some of the more pliable rings will fit, as will the soft Al ones with a little metal removal.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    The CZ 452's (non-American) rail is 11mm, CZ 452 American is 3/8", and the Romanian trainer's comes in narrowest at 8mm.

Some of the more pliable rings will fit, as will the soft Al ones with a little metal removal.

:wallbash:

That is not a scope mount, and there were different sizes used!

If you take metal off of the rings, you will end up with an off-center 'scope. If that's OK with you -- ala the Mauser, M1 Garand, Arisaka, etc sniper rifles -- then have at it. Undercut the rail though so you don't lose the 'scope!

As for me, heck, the .22LR has too many variables already. I'm not going to try to try to compensate for an off-center 'scope mount.

1. Buy any one of the many one-piece 'scope bases. One piece keeps you from having to lap the rings in.

2. Use the template that comes with it (or the base itself, if no template is present) to mark spots for the holes.

3. Chuck receiver into drill press. Drill holes for the #5 screws that accompany the base. In a pinch I suppose you could use #4-40 or #4-48 screws, but realize this will be slightly weaker. By how much is debatable.

4. Tap. If you go all the way through (OK on this rifle, just stay away from the chamber), tap then deburr the bottoms of the holes. If you choose not to drill all the way through, use a bottom tap and plenty of cutting oil (or maple syrup, which actually works better).

5. Mount - torque to 15in-lbs, mount the rings with 30in-lbs, 'scope with 15in-lbs; bore-sight, and take it to the range. Use blue Loc-Tite or Gun-Tite if it makes you feel good; properly done, you should not need it.

Enjoy.

Josh

Top Bottom