• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cfgunworks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Clinton Co.
    I have a build to do this week for a customer in .358/.25 WSSM (IDC). I was wondering if there are any INGO members using this round. I am considering building one for myself as well and would appreciate anyone willing to share their experiences with it.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    001.jpg

i assembled one a couple of years ago. very pleased with the rifle and the round. bfg here on the forum will sell you a barrell, brass and dies. its easier to buy his than try and make your own. mine will shoot groups under an inch with the 225 grain sierra game kings over blc 2 powder. i put a luepold scope with ballist reticle on mine. very easy to hit my 10" steel plate at 300 yards.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I posted a thread about a year ago. It's about as good it gets in Indiana, though not the cheapest. Ballistics are very similar to .358 Win, and exceeds the .35 Rem by about 300 fps. Muzzle energy matches the .30-06. Accuracy is just as good as my Savage 110FP in .308.

Mine is built on a Savage WSM action with a McGowen Barrel using Redding's dies and reamer print. My buddy and I are getting super accuracy with the 225gr SGK and the Hornady 200gr Interlocks. 225's are pushing 2400fps and 200's are pushing 2600fps in a 22" barrel.

The Redding dies neck up in two steps and I turn the necks to 0.014" and anneal.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I've been shipping barrels, brass and dies for the 358 BFG-WSSM as fast as I can process and package them for the last few weeks.

What is it you are wanting to know about the cartridge?

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    mine is an idc. i think the neck is a little looser than the bfg. when i run my fired brass thru the bfg dies the neck is still to loose to hold the bullet tight. what i do is size the die in the bfg dies and run the neck of the brass in my .357 mag die. tightens it up just right. i actually had a barrel (24")made by sinman on savageshooters.com. and tried to make my own brass. wasnt working out so i bought brass and dies from bfg design. in the long run it would have been easier to buy everything from bfg. my 225 sierras are running right at 2400fps. brass life is good so far. i have fired some of my cases several times so far. but i dont think 2400 is pushing them to hard.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    How is your brass life?

My first batch (50pcs new Winchester brass) of brass has had three firings, and no problems... I'll probably anneal again after the next firing, but that will probably be after this hunting season. I had to trim the brass again after the initial firing, but it didn't grow at all in the 2nd and 3rd firing. I am full-length sizing.

If your customer has the Redding dies he will need to turn necks, not a big deal, but the seating die and the chamber are dead on 0.390" (at least mine are), and not turning the brass and trying to seat a bullet will lock up the press. My unturned necks measued 0.017" to 0.018". 2*0.017"+0.358"=0.392". I turn to 0.014" which gives me 0.004" of clearance in the die and chamber.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i have a 358 bfg built on a blueprinted model 70 action. it has a mcm stock, shelin barrel, swarovski z5, rifle basix trigger, and a vias muzzlebrake (im threading it tomorow so it will have a brake)

upchurch67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    I just finished my 1st 358 on a Savage M11. Actually, this was my 1st rebarrel...period. I got the barrel, dies and brass from BFG. So, far I am pleased with the results. 2360fps with 225 grain Accubonds. Accuracy is acceptable at 1.5" at 100, but I think I can do better as I had some primer problems and have only been able to seriously test one powder.

The whole project has REALLY been fun.

brasshead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    I have a Savage model 11 with the BFG barrel and love it. I got the Hornady die and the brass from Fireball he is great to work with and makes a nice product. After I got mine two of my friends shot it and had to have one also. I am getting 1" groups with 200 grain Hornady Interlocks

brasshead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    I thought the 14 twist would be too slow for the 225gr. Seems like it's working for you guys,I'll give that a try. Should have better BC than the 180 and 200 hornady.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Yes, but...

Plugging in the numbers into a ballistics calculator, I have found that there isn't much difference in actual trajectory out to 300 yards, if you sight them all for MPB.

(For rough numbers you can plug in 2350fps for the 225gr and 2550 for the 200gr and 2650 for the 180gr, but you can probably get 50fps more.)

There's not much out there yet (that I have run across) on terminal effects with the different bullets yet, though I'm not seeing any "bullet failure" stories. The big question in my mind that remains is what is the terminal effect?

I have had e-mail discussions with Hornady and Sierra. With the 225 SGK they said expansion on whitetail deer will get "tough" below 1900fps. So there's one data point. If you take that number you will hit that point somewhere out around 235 yards, even though you still have plenty of energy out beyond 300 yards. Regardless, a double lung shot with a 35 caliber bullet = dead deer.

At the other extreme, the 180gr SSP bullet is probably not built to take WSSM velocity - it's not even recommended from a .35 Rem lever gun.

In between there is the 200gr STX, which according to my e-mail from Hornady was designed for 1600-2000 fps. By those numbers, it's good out to 300 yards... but then you have to wonder if it will hold together at 50 yards -- a much more common shot. I suspect that it will and I hope so because I just got a mess of factory Blems on the cheap.

The chances of me having a 300 yard shot with a SGK would be slim, so based on that I went with the SGK for my bullet last season and my buddy went with the 200gr Interlock (non-FTX).

Top Bottom