• ...and so much more!
  • What would YOU do ($0-$700).

• Total voters

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Seems like a dumb question, but I honestly cant find anything online. I havent seen them in fun stores either, although I havent looked very hard.

What price range am I looking at here? Anything to look out for?

Finally, Im considering a remington 1100, but someone suggested the saiga, any opinions on a shotgun vs a shotgun.

Im going to use this primarily for home defense however it will be used for deer season as well.

Thanks for your help!

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Thanks, I just checked a few... which brings up this question.

Obviously there is a reason, but why are some $600, and some $1000.... does "converted" have anything to add to the value or what...

Similar to an ak, how there are wasrs or russians or whatever... I just dont know what to look at/for.

thanks!

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Bradis and Plainfield shooting supplies both had them in the $600 dollar range a week ago.

The ones that cost over 1k have most likely been converted. This takes a bit of gunsmithing/skill and time to be done right. Which is why they cost more. If you are dead set on getting one and have the money, make sure you buy a converted one from someone you trust.(or at least one you have had a chance to shoot) Many of them have been poorly converted and overall functionality suffers.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Thats exactly what I dont understand though... whats the point in converting them? They sell them ready made like that, why bother. Is it the 922r compliance bs? Is that something I need to worry about in indiana and for deer hunting especially.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Thats exactly what I dont understand though... whats the point in converting them? They sell them ready made like that, why bother. Is it the 922r compliance bs? Is that something I need to worry about in indiana and for deer hunting especially.

They come into the country without the evil items on them, pistol grips, flash hiders, etc.

Converting them is putting them bad to the way they were orginally designed.

922r says they have to have so many USA made parts in them.

I think your wasting your money if you keep it unconverted. There are better shotguns out there for the money.

Converted is the way to go with these for sure.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Saiga is the manufacturer, and although different companies import and perform conversions, Saigas if I recall correctly are Russian.

Because of previous gun laws they started shipping/selling them in the US in "sporterized" form... Think standard gun stock - which means the trigger group is farther back so it can be reached while holding the standard gun stock. Most of these could also only accept smaller capacity magazines, 5 rounds generally I believe.

A conversion generally means to make it similar to a standard pattern AK... Changes will allow it to accept full capacity magazines, the stock would be changed, a pistol grip would be added - because of this the trigger group must be moved to make room for the pistol grip. Sometimes the front furniture is changed.

So, yes - a "converted" Saiga 12 is valued more than a standard "sporterized" version, since the parts for and conversion costs money/work.

As far as where to buy, I believe someone in another post mentioned a shop somewhere in Indiana selling them around $550 currently (I believe standard sporterized).... You might search threads to find their suggestion.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Fantastic info, thank you!

I guess my biggest problem now is to decide whether to just modd my mossberg 500... or buy a saiga... or buy a remington 1100. ugh

I added a poll just for s**ts and giggles. Feel free to vote, if not, no big deal.

Thanks again to everyone.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    The guns seem to be going for around $600 at the moment, plus you can get a basic fixed stock conversion kit for $140 from Carolina Shooting Supply. Then all you'll need is a drill, a dremel, and a couple hours to complete the conversion.

I finally did mine two weeks ago. Cutting and drilling the rivets are what scared me the most, but it turned out to be a breeze, now the tedious little bolt hold open that is another story.

Also keep in mind the price of mags, drums, muzzle breaks, and other miscellaneous cool stuff.

Just one more thing, if you convert, don't worry about 922r, since the trigger, hammer, disconnector, and US made butt stock cover your 4 USmade parts.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    IMAG0274.jpg

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Conversion simply consist of moving the trigger group forward, installing a trigger gaurd, stock, and pistol grip. There are several do it yourself kits out there, and it requires very basic tools. The 545 and 762X39 saiga's require a bullet guide to be installed to run standard mags. This is not the case for the Saiga 12's. If you have any specific questions once you decide to do a conversion, hit me up. I've done several, and there is nothing to it.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    What tradertator said.... also for those who question the value of doing the conversion:
    Take an unconverted one and a converted one out to the range and you will see very quickly the difference. The balance and handling are restored to what they should be in the "converted" version.

Last edited:

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    What tradertator said.... also for those who question the value of doing the conversion:
    Take an unconverted one and a converted one out to the range and you will see very quickly the difference. The balance and handling are restoreed to what they should be in the "convered" version.

This man speaks the truth. The S12 doesn't fall into it's own until the conversion has been done.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Saiga-12. Git yo'sef sum. :yesway:

mark_saiga.jpg

Man, that's such a hot shotgun......

I voted go Saiga....

Is there any way to keep the wood furniture and only do the modifications to use the high cap mags/drums?

I'd LOVE to have a saiga 12, saiga 20 both configured similarly to my AK with 75 rd drum (obviously the saiga drums don't hold that much).

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    There is no mod needed to use the high cap magazines with the exception of 922. As far as the furniture goes, you would need to add a handgaurd retainer bracket. Dinzag sells them.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom