• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What's the best way to sight in a 91-30? By that I mean, there are markings on the rear sight that are calibrated in... meters? Meters x 10? Meters x 100? (Mine's not in arshins) Should I start out with the sight all the way at its lowest setting? And at that setting, at what distance is it supposedly sighted in?

After the initial sight-in, what do the markings then mean? ie. Is it a range estimation type thing?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Me personaly, I started out at 25yrds got a baseline on were it was hitting, then moved back out from there. Honestly I never really messed with what the numbers ment, because its all in meters. But the big downfall to the mosin is the ammo, the surp stuff is only going to be so accurate so dont get frustrated if you dont get super tight groups out of it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What's the best way to sight in a 91-30? By that I mean, there are markings on the rear sight that are calibrated in... meters? Meters x 10? Meters x 100? (Mine's not in arshins) Should I start out with the sight all the way at its lowest setting? And at that setting, at what distance is it supposedly sighted in?

After the initial sight-in, what do the markings then mean? ie. Is it a range estimation type thing?

That's kind of what I figured I would do, but was hoping there was some Mosin guru out there that would give me the fast track to quarter-sized groups at 200 yds... ;):):

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    my elevation was close enough at 100yds. 100 meters equals approx 110 yds I believe. I left elevation alone. Someday I'll try to shoot mine at 200 or 300 yards. I took a small hammer and metal punch with me to the range that day and had to tap the front sight slightly to get the windage on. Mine was off by @ 4moa. One big tap to get it moving and smaller ones to get it in place did mine just fine. Like said before start with large clean paper at 25yds or 50yds.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Don't be too surprised if its way high at 100 yards. Many were originally sighted in to be zeroed at 300 meters with the rear sight all the way back. That way the illiterate Soviet conscript just had to aim at his enemy's belt buckle and be likely to score a hit out to about 400 meters.

Top Bottom