• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I brought a deer rifle about 3 years ago and a new scope. I shot it a couple of times, the scope was off. I lost interest in it, so I oiled it down and never touched it again.

This year I'm considering going deer hunting. So I want to sight this gun and get it ready.

Anyone have some good tips on sighting it in. I don't want to shoot it more than I have to. It's a 458 socom and round cost 2.50, so I don't want shoot it too much.

I going to have it bore sighted to get me close, but is there anything else I can do?

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Here's the way I do it; Using a good rifle rest fire a round at the center of your target, after firing make sure the scope is still centered on the target and the rifle as immobile as possible and adjust the scope to the point of impact. It shouldn't take more than a couple of rounds to zero it in this way.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    sighting in scope

45-70's way can work, but the rifle must be locked down tight and can't move for you to be doing any good. I know the rounds are expensive, but the way I use is start with bore sighting, move to a close target of 25 yards. Shoot 2 shot relays as long as the impacts are in the same area. Get 25 yards zero'd and move to whre you think your shooting will be taking place and zero again with 2 shot groups. 1 shot and anything can happen to placement. It will take more rounds but you'll get a better zero.

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    Had a very knowledgeable friend tell me this and it seems to hold true. If you sight in at 20yards then your still good at 200yards. I typically follow this order and have very good luck. I sight in at 20 then repeat at the desired range to verify. If any adjustment is need it is minimal. Also I suggest a good lead sled to ensure accurate and consistent targeting. A sight job is only as good as the shooter.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Go to an Appleseed and learn how to sight your rifle at any distance with 6 shots or less, using just a sling.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    What's an Appleseed?

I've used the holding it down to do other guns. I'm not sure about this one since the recoil is so hard.

Does the sighting it in at 20 hold true for 200?

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    If your rifle is a bolt action, it really easy. Just put the rifle on a rest, pull the bolt out, site down the inside of the barrel to the target and without moving the rifle, adjust the scope to the center of the target. This should get your first shot on paper and then you can adjust from there.

This will also work for a cantilevered shotgun barrel but you just take the barrel off of the shotgun and do the above.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Does the sighting it in at 20 hold true for 200?
    In a word... Maybe.

In a sentence... It depends on several factors, including caliber, type of ammo, height of the sight or scope above the barrel, etc..

An AR-15 shooting 55gr, .223 ball ammo, with a 2.5" sight height will have the round approximately on the same elevation point at 50 yards, and again at 250 yards -- first on the way up, then on the way down.

Slap a 22LR conversion in that AR, and (not only will it need to be resighted) a high-velocity 22 round will pass the same elevation point at about 25 yards and 75 yards.

Top Bottom