• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Ok, it is just what the title says what is the difference between the basic model 700 and the basic model 770? what are the pro/cons of each and which one is "better".

Thanks
    Tyler

joeman3285

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Montgomery County
    I'm not sure but I think it's mainly the finish and stock, possibly the trigger as well. The action and the barrel are the same. I THINK. The 700 just comes with a better finish and more bells and whistles. I've owned a 700 adl and it was a fine rifle. Any 770 I've held at the store just seemed "cheap". I can't speak to how they shoot though.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    I believe it has a different action, considering the price difference I would say a lot is different, I think the only thing common between the two is the Remington name.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Put the 770 down and run like hell. The 770's often have sticky bolts, feeding issues, plastic trigger guards, and are overall poorly designed. The 2 can't even be compared in quality. Save up a couple of bucks more and buy a 700 ADL.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    The 700 has an recoil lug sandwiched between the barrel and receiver. The 770's lug in part of the stock, which is a dumb idea.

A 700's barrel is threaded to the receiver and the 770's is press fit, which is a dumb idea.

A 700's bolt uses 2 lugs and the 770's uses 3, which is a dumb idea.

A 700's bolt lugs lock into the receiver and the 770's lock into the barrel. I'll stop short of saying this is directly dumb but it isn't exactly an advantage to anyone other than Remington.

A 700 receiver uses a higher tensile steel than the 770, which is why the 770 is more flexible despite having a solid bridge.

The 700 has a quite good adjustable trigger, the 770's is not adjustable.

There are probably a few other differences that matter that I can't think of off the top of my head, but if you still want a 770 after the above they won't make a difference.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    It was an 'improved' 710, which was Remington's attempt to compete on the low end of the market with Marlin and Savage. But that just isn't their game.

I did think of another: Remington left the J lock off the 770. A point in its favor.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    i actually own a 770 in .308win. it was a black friday purchase for 279 bucks a few years back and one that was made with some decent research. i got it as an inexpensive riflle that i could use and ABUSE in the woods and "playground" with out fearing breaking it and being out a large sum of money. yes they are plastic, yes they feel cheap, and heck yes the bolt is sticky(which went away after some TLC).
    on the accuracy side of the rifle. its not a sub moa shooter by any means, but i can consistantly pattern 1.5inch 3 shot groups at atterburys 100 yard range and on some private property i have put some 5in 5 shot groups at 300yrds. i did a few improvments to it which i feel deffinately helped out. leupold rifleman 3-9, bi pod, and cheak piece and played with the trigger a bit.

if you are looking for a 1000yrd gun then do not buy. if you want a decent little rifle to have fun with then might be in your sights. thats my expierenced opinion

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    As an inbetween,(price not quality) look at Thompson Center Venture. I recently bought one in 243 and Saturday I made a 3 shot group that was covered by a quarter with factory cheap ammo at 200 yards. The price is in the upper 4's.

Top Bottom