Range Report: OneBadV8's new Savage 110BA .300 WIN MAG (pics/vids)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Recently fellow INGOer and pal OneBadV8 picked up a new precision rifle-- a Savage 110BA in .300 WIN MAG with AccuTrigger. Looking for an excuse to get together and shoot, we decided to stretch it out a little bit (not a lot) down at lovemywoods' range.

Factory specs on the rifle can be found here: Savage Arms Firearms > 110 BA

We arrived down at lovemywoods' place in the late afternoon. The first thing that got my attention about this rifle was the case he transports it in. Its an enormous hard-sided Pelican case that he picked up FOR FREE from thoughtful and generous INGOer Dave Doehrman ( https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ear/166690-long_gun_case_recommendations.html ).

Here you will notice how the large case easily spans the width of the ATV cart.

25c351a3.jpg

After unlatching 6 large latches the drooling began . . . . . :drool:

5c38d6c3.jpg

And the after the drooling we commenced the fondling. . . .

b1413481.jpg

bcd87c28.jpg

9bfc83f6.jpg

28b84a94.jpg

The weather was gorgeous and perfect for shooting! The air was slightly cool with almost no wind at all. The Brown County leaves had all turned to bright yellow. It was nice enough that Kr_Treefrog2 joined us and helped by snapping some of the pictures.

ed86a605.jpg

OneBadV8 gave us a quick rundown on the rifle, its operation, and why he picked it. lovemywoods and I then took a minute to check out the Falcon Menace scope. I have limited experience with this type of scope, but the glass was very clear and it worked quite well during our time shooting.

b353890a.jpg

1bf3be57.jpg

84553513.jpg

Of course we let OneBadV8 take the first shots. He started by shooting at a target 50 yards away, just to see if his zero was on paper.

b6514910.jpg

c83a6c9b.jpg

fe113bd9.jpg

[video=youtube;kJ4umXuAQQg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ4umXuAQQg[/video]

Not only was he on paper, but his group of 3 rounds was 1 tiny ragged hole! :eek:

f298a262.jpg

8fd7a30a.jpg

Next up was my time to shoot. I decided to see what it would do to a pumpkin. The results were quite surprising!

[video=youtube;AjaqRjWne_w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjaqRjWne_w[/video]

Entrance wounds:

77462185.jpg

Exit wounds:

adb6b8a4.jpg

We then moved to shooting from prone on the dam. Our targets were 211 yards away on the other side of the lake. Targets included 3 varying sizes of Bobcat Steel IPSC targets, some water jugs, clay pigeons, a bowling pin, a mostly empty can of spray paint, a splattering paper target, and one poor wooden Easter bunny.

989c2fc9.jpg

c7cfa5ad.jpg

5b4c981b.jpg

adb62371.jpg

db9136c9.jpg

97bac07a.jpg

1cbf7bff.jpg

39fb15f6.jpg

cd36d111.jpg

4f1cde88.jpg

[video=youtube;gh4amfUcwYw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh4amfUcwYw[/video]

[video=youtube;WfOP2ZuUH7g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfOP2ZuUH7g[/video]

[video=youtube;4rGZzWlPWyE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rGZzWlPWyE[/video]

Hits were EASILY achieved on ALL targets. The smallest IPSC steel was 25%, which roughly translates to an 800 yard hit on a full-size IPSC. The Savage would reach out and touch that without breaking a sweat. :yesway:

122e168d.jpg

d2f79b11.jpg

3d4417b3.jpg

be457dc3.jpg

c05a234f.jpg

6d9fd628.jpg

Last month at NFA Day 2011 INGOer Yukon227 donated his treasured "woof shirt" for future range fun. We decided that today would be a good day to bring it back out and shoot it. :D

cbbcc6e6.jpg

Ol' OneBad made quick work of it, completely shredding the shirt and tearing it completely off the steel target (we put it back for the picture).

0d218c50.jpg

We also placed a clay pigeon in front of a freshly painted steel target. When we hit it, the pigeon disintegrated and the remaining mark made us all do a double-take--- we thought maybe OneBadV8 had loaded a hot round. ;)

b0cfbdd7.jpg

OneBadV8 also apparently hates the Easter Bunny, as he shot him square in the face and took his nose clean off!

afa1d848.jpg

Trophy kill!

27f0641b.jpg

After returning to the house and sitting down to a wonderful dinner of smoked sausage, green beans, and new potatoes, I had one more aspect of this rifle to explore*.

Sure, it could knock the wings off a gnat on a dog's rear at 1k yards, but how would it fare in a CQB situation?

With so much unused rail space, I decided to mount an offset Aimpoint red dot sight and a Surefire weaponlight. This allowed me to engage across-the-room targets with just a simple rotation of my wrist.

dc1f95c1.jpg

cfd639ba.jpg

It could also be used as an entry gun. Note 5.11 Tactical socks for enhanced breaching.

8156264c.jpg

And let's not forget the importance of SUL with a gun like this. . . .

9752eaa5.jpg

*everything after the word "potatoes" should NOT be taken seriously. Remember that the author of this thread once did an entire range report on a Nerf gun. He can be prone to fits of Tacticoolness and acts of random picatinny accessory installment. Please disregard entirely. INGO cannot be held responsible for the absurdity in the last 4 paragraphs.

So here are today's take-aways:

• The AccuTrigger is LIGHT, and would take some getting used to.
    • Recoil was surprisingly tame-- perhaps just a smudge heavier than 5.56.
    • With scope and bipod, I'm guessing the rifle weighed in around 17lbs-- not something you want to shoot offhand.
    • The barrel never even got warm.
    • I was surprised at how the rounds zipped straight through the pumpkin and water jugs without exploding them.
    • We were limited to just 200 yards which provided no challenge at all, so I would LOVE to see this thing stretched out to 800-1000.
    • OneBadV8 was very generous in allowing us to shoot his very nice and very expensive rifle. He's welcome back anytime, regardless of what gun he's toting. :yesway:
    • lovemywoods was very generous for letting us play on his range. I also appreciated the fantastic dinner. :yesway:
    • Shooting stuff is fun! Shooting in great weather is even better! Shooting stuff in great weather with great people can't be beat!
    :ingo:

Last edited by a moderator:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I loved how loud the steel rang

:rockwoot:

Seriously fun day, thanks again lovemywoods, esrice, and Kr_Treefrog2

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Hey What's Tyler's Dad doing in all those Pictures!! J/K :D

Great write up as always Esrise, looks like you all had a great time!! Did you hide your Sister from Chuck? :D

Thanks for sharing your guys day with us!! You should write for a Gun Magazine, your reviews are far better than I see in most publications!! :yesway: :D

Top Bottom