• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    5.56 is loaded to a higher pressure. Before buying anything you should contact the manufacturer to check. In our letigious society, I'm sure all the manufacturers would be aware of this possibility, but I would ALWAYS double check with the manufacturer.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I shot some 5.56 through my Savage by accident. Grabbed the wrong bulk pack before I headed to the range. I thought something was odd because the rifle was jumping off of the bench, using a bi-pod. I looked an realized it was 5.56. I could tell a big difference between the .223 and 5.56. You want to chance it go ahead, I would not advise it though.

Spinaltapls1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Avon, IN
    Not sure what rifle you r looking at but check this one out Mossberg MVP (Mossberg Varmint Predator) it is a bolt gun that uses AR mags and can shoot the 5.56. Now i just haft to save up money so i can buy one.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    It goes the other way, you can shoot 223 in a 5.56 gun, not the reverse. Just pay attention when you pick it out, there are a few 5.56 bolt guns. If you already shoot 223, don't worry about it to much. If you are just plinking, check out the Savage Axis (formerly Edge). It's an affordable gun, and it is good for the price. I never had problems with groups the size of a quarter at 100 yards, it was better than I can shoot.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I do not know what all the big fuss is about, unless there are some really low grade bolt rifles out there I am not aware of. Any modern Bolt action firearm is strong enough for 62,000+ psi working pressures. Almost all .223 bolt actions are designed from actions that accomodate larger calibers, so the metal in the chamber chamber area is THICKER than it is with .473" bases cartridges (ala .308), certainly thicker than on an AR. That thick barrel screws into a chrome molly receiver, unlike an AR that attaches to an aluminum upper that you can cut with an axe. The Bolt lugs on a conventional Bolt action rifle have a large engagement area. The contact face area of the two lugs on a Winchester, Remington or Savage bolt action is much more than the actual contact area of those little lug faces where an AR bolt engages the barrel extension. I cannot understand why people think a Bolt action is not as sturdy as the lightweight AR chassis.

Also do not forget that a Bolt action simply must be designed to handle more pounds of force because a 62,000 psi medium base cartridge has more square inches due to size produces a lot more pounds of force than the smaller .223 just because there is far less surface area.

Remember the example that your thumb seals off a pin hole in a hose, but your thumb is not strong enough to seal the end of the hose even though the city water pressure is the same? Same idea here.

The only place you will get in trouble is with antique rifles, whose metalurgy is questtionable, and the .223 was not developed that long ago. Your not going to blow up a bolt gun with any round that will shoot in the AR.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I own an AR , and now I am considering buying a bolt gun in 223, my question is can I fire 5.56 ammo in this rifle without any concerns ?

The only real benefit of being able to shoot 5.56 ammo in a bolt gun I could see would be either using surplus ammunition, or shooting the SS109 62gr. bullets.

The generic 55gr FMJ didn't interest me in a bolt gun, but the SS109 did. I wanted the option of being able to shoot the SS109 out of my bolt guns without worrying about the pressure arguement so I bought a bunch of the pulled SS109's off of gunbroker and loaded them in my 223 brass at 223 pressure levels.

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    Thanks guys, I have come to the conclusion that this is a non-issue with a quality rifle, the only reason I might want one that will fire 5.56 is because I have so much of it for my AR , and I have no 223.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    And which bolt gun are you looking at?

Most of the manufacturers have cavernous throats, which mitigates the 5.56 in 223 Rem chamber problems.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm no expert in this but couldn't you have your 223 reamed out to 5.56 by a competent gunsmith? The dimensional differences are so small that it shouldnt take much to name it a 5.56 and then all the talk and concerns no longer apply.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    You'd want to cast the throat first, as once you buy a throat reamer to stick in there you might find it is nearly a 5.56 already.

You'd also want to peek if it is chromed.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I do not know what all the big fuss is about, unless there are some really low grade bolt rifles out there I am not aware of. Any modern Bolt action firearm is strong enough for 62,000+ psi working pressures. Almost all .223 bolt actions are designed from actions that accomodate larger calibers, so the metal in the chamber chamber area is THICKER than it is with .473" bases cartridges (ala .308), certainly thicker than on an AR. That thick barrel screws into a chrome molly receiver, unlike an AR that attaches to an aluminum upper that you can cut with an axe. The Bolt lugs on a conventional Bolt action rifle have a large engagement area. The contact face area of the two lugs on a Winchester, Remington or Savage bolt action is much more than the actual contact area of those little lug faces where an AR bolt engages the barrel extension. I cannot understand why people think a Bolt action is not as sturdy as the lightweight AR chassis.

Also do not forget that a Bolt action simply must be designed to handle more pounds of force because a 62,000 psi medium base cartridge has more square inches due to size produces a lot more pounds of force than the smaller .223 just because there is far less surface area.

Remember the example that your thumb seals off a pin hole in a hose, but your thumb is not strong enough to seal the end of the hose even though the city water pressure is the same? Same idea here.

The only place you will get in trouble is with antique rifles, whose metalurgy is questtionable, and the .223 was not developed that long ago. Your not going to blow up a bolt gun with any round that will shoot in the AR.

Should be, yeah. Ask the manufacturer, and let them have as much of the liability as possible. Put the 5.56 in your .223 and you're risking the rifle at least, or worse picking pieces of the chamber out of your face with tweezers, even worse having someone else do it because you're blind now. There's no reason to take that kind of chance these days. If you can show where they said it was ok, you've got a leg to stand on. If they won't say it, don't assume. I'm not gonna come off looking like an ass here, so that leaves you.

Top Bottom