• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I was currently saving up to build a long range 308 build but some things came up and i wont be able to afford one now....sad day :(

But i already own an AR with a 16" and i was wondering what kind of range i could get with that gun. I may free float it so i can get a bipod. I heard thats better then putting it on the barrel.

As of right now i have it setup as a CQC so i was wondering what it would take to convert it to a long range setup. Any information would be helpful.

Right now im thinking of a free float quad rail, harris bipod, and maybe an upgraded trigger?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i can take a factory nothing special about it ar with irons and make hits @ 700 on a steal torso target about 25% of the time, and im far from anything special. if i put a acog on it id say id get close to 100% after i got my wind right.

it all depends on that your shooting at. if i was shooting a 7 inch plate id get a 0.01% hit rate with the irons and 40%:dunno: with the acog.

if your wondering wondering what improvements will make the most diffrence in your ar id say the order to your list would be

trigger
    free float rail
    bipod

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Well the only optic i have is a 6x that was on a 6mm Remington we had under the bed. I dont even know what it is but from what i remember it was an okay scope and for now itll work.

And id be shooting at a torse sized target also.

Any suggestions on a trigger? I already have my quad rail and bipod picked out. I dont know anything about triggers on AR's.

Ammo....i know ammo is a big factor when it comes to shooting long range. Any particular ammo to try out or just find what my gun likes? I also reload...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Well the only optic i have is a 6x that was on a 6mm Remington we had under the bed. I dont even know what it is but from what i remember it was an okay scope and for now itll work.

And id be shooting at a torse sized target also.

Any suggestions on a trigger? I already have my quad rail and bipod picked out. I dont know anything about triggers on AR's.

Ammo....i know ammo is a big factor when it comes to shooting long range. Any particular ammo to try out or just find what my gun likes? I also reload...

the first thing i would look for in ammo is a heavy bullet. a 5.56 on a windy day can be humbleing to say the least. a heavier bullet will help with that. not fix but help

as far as triggers im not the ar trigger expert here so ill let somone else field that one

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    42769vetter pretty much already hit it on the nail. Upgrade your trigger first, that's where you're going to get the most improvement for your money. The cheapest option there is probably going to be a rock river two stage match and you can find them under $100. As far as ammo goes, I'd look at the 69gr bullets. Those just seem to shoot well in just about everything.

Another thought. Do you have enough in the budget for an upper to go along with the new trigger? An upper would be cheaper way to go and you'd have a free floated bull barrel and for what some free float rail systems cost you may be better off just buying a whole new upper.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I looked into uppers but i dont think i can afford a complete one without selling the one i have now. The one i have now does have the bull barrel.

And my twist rate is 1:7

How much do you think 20" or 24" uppers go for?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I looked into uppers but i dont think i can afford a complete one without selling the one i have now. The one i have now does have the bull barrel.

And my twist rate is 1:7

How much do you think 20" or 24" uppers go for?

they can be found south of 500 but id personally stick with the one you have. espically if its a 1-7 twist. that means it will (in theory) like the heavey bullets. i think its better to stone cold know one rifle than have 2:twocents:

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    they can be found south of 500 but id personally stick with the one you have. espically if its a 1-7 twist. that means it will (in theory) like the heavey bullets. i think its better to stone cold know one rifle than have 2:twocents:

I agree with you there. I thought about it and i plan on sticking with my AR as it is now. I do plan on cutting down the FSB and putting a 12" free float rail. I was thinking Yankee Hill. Then a Harris 6-9 Bipod. And a Rock River 2 stage Trigger. I couldnt find anywhere that sells them so will i have to buy directly from Rock River? And whats the difference between single stage and 2 stage?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    You should be able to hit 3-400yrds no problem at all. Go with the free float rail, get either a RRA 2 stage trigger or if you want a real nice one I like the AR gold trigger for the AR. Get a decent set of rings I use the Millet AR rings they are real nice for the money. An I use 69gr Sierra Matchking bullets in My long range AR, Am I have no trouble at all hitting out to 500yrds with it.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Your order of the mods. to make.

What are the accuracy facts on the Geissele trigger? Is it the best, or just most expensive? DPMS Panther, Roggio upper, Columbia lower, 20-inch. MilSpec innards, so far.
    i can take a factory nothing special about it ar with irons and make hits @ 700 on a steal torso target about 25% of the time, and im far from anything special. <snip>

if your wondering wondering what improvements will make the most diffrence in your ar id say the order to your list would be

trigger
    free float rail
    bipod

joshua_xdm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Oh Vear
    I was currently saving up to build a long range 308 build but some things came up and i wont be able to afford one now....sad day :(

But i already own an AR with a 16" and i was wondering what kind of range i could get with that gun. I may free float it so i can get a bipod. I heard thats better then putting it on the barrel.

As of right now i have it setup as a CQC so i was wondering what it would take to convert it to a long range setup. Any information would be helpful.

Right now im thinking of a free float quad rail, harris bipod, and maybe an upgraded trigger?

First thing i would do is change the barrel. For example with a 20in barrel your max effective range would be 550 to 600 meters. Free floating barrels are good. Get a rail mounted bipod, not barrel. You will be more pleased. The trigger is toatally up to you if you want to change. I personaly like the stock trigger pull. Then after that, range time is the key. I went to a military school for 2 weeks on marksmanship to learn the fundamentals on shooting. Everything from breathing to trigger pull. We used M16A4 with ACOGS. We had everything except bipods. We shot anywhere from 50m to 600m. 1 key note with a rail system and the free floating barrel. Make sure you have everything mounted that you want on it cause the slightest bit of weight on the barrel will change you accuracy. At longer distances is where you notice the difference. Hope that was good enough info for you. If you got anything else let me know.:rockwoot:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The Yankee Hill rail is pretty nice for the money. I installed a 10" on a friends 10.5" SBR, and was pretty impressed.

As far as triggers go, the RRA 2 stage NM is a good buy if you want a 2 stage trigger. I recently swapped mine out for a Timney, but it cost almost twice as much.

I think your barrel should be fine if it is heavy. As stated already, 1:7 twist barrels tend to do very well with heavier ammo.

As far as bi-pods, you are hard pressed to beat Harris. The non swivel, notched leg, 6-9" ones can be had for around $50 if you shop around.

That leaves optics. I'm a firm believer in getting the best you can afford. I've got a Leupold Mark AR on my current SPR, with a Larue mount, and am in love with it.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Thanks for all the great info guys!!!

Im gonna go with quad rail and bipod and maybe a trigger after i try out the stock one first. Figured id save some cash that way.

And from what ive read ive seen anything for 300 to 700 with the 16" heavy barrel. Is that what i should be expecting?

And thank you! Im gonna start reading up on the .223 round and its capabilitys

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    As you will find in the link I posted about .223. The round is very effective for the size. Yesyou can get to 700 but with practice and hardley no wind. Plus you would have to using a Match load. But realistically 3-400yrd range you would have no trouble the round is small and will get pushed around a bit if in windy conditions. Other adive would be if your going to spend money get a nice piece of glass. Try one of the Nikon M-223 series scopes, thats what I use on my long range AR, mine is 3x12 great scope for the money, and designed to work with the AR. But other than a nice scope and rings, Id shoot it in its current state and see how it does at longer range and see how it does, It may do what you want it to do already.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Well i was reading in the page you sent me and it said my 1:7 twist rate would take up to 90gr bullets? I dont plan on putting them through that but 69gr or 80gr would work well wouldnt they?

As far as glass goes....Im gonna try what we have already and see how it works. When i get some more cash i may upgrade to a nikon or vortex. Im a big fan of vortex lately.

So man decisons....so little money :(

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    triggers. you asked the difference between a 1 stage and a 2 stage.

2 stage: its like taking up the slack on a single stage till it hits second resistance (2nd stage) then short pull for firing.

1 stage is like 99 % of all weapons, pull till it fires.

i like 2 stage the best, personally, but shoot both. have single stage at 1.5 oz. a double at 6 oz ( 3 plus 3), my plate rifle is set at 1 lb and 2 lb (2 stage), just bought a jard for my ar15 set at 1.5 lbs, havent done the 2 stage on new armalite ar10, but will be around 2 lbs when finalized.

if you arent used to REAL lite triggers, stay at least 3 to 3.5 lb pull.
    just my:twocents:......daryll

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you have option - 20" stainless barrel. More barrel equals more velocity and a longer gas system which means lower felt recoil (not that it is that much any way). But if you're planning on making long shots, those are two things I consider to be minimum requirements.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    On my long range AR, I've got a 24" 1:7.7 barrel on it. That rifle really likes 77g SMK bullets.

As other have said, a good trigger will make a world of difference. That one has a 2 stage Geissele Match trigger. 2 pounds on the 1st stage, and about 12oz on the 2nd stage. Light, but offers great trigger control. I know exactly when it's going to break and time the last bit of pull with the wind, breathing, heart beat, etc.

The biggest areas where I picked up accuracy were trigger and ammo. If you reload, find the load your rifle likes the best and stick with it.

Top Bottom