• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Bremen, IN
    I can't decide which big boy rifle to go for. I would like to take my distance shooting to a new level. I realize there are good and bad things with all these calibers. The .338 lapua is probibly the best, but also the most expensive at $5 a round. The 300 win mag is the cheapest which is nice, but then there is the .50. And all I have to say is, IT'S A .50!!!! BOOM!!!!!!! What fun it would be to shoot.

Any opinion, comment or experience with these is appreciated***, Thanks

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    As much as a 50 cal would be fun to have ,the 300 win mag would be a logical choice due to the availability of ammo,price & places to shoot it , it also wouldnt require double ear protection. Thats how I would approach that decision as nice as A 50 cal in the arsenal would be , i dont think it would get as much range time if i were flipping the bill for ammo

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    If your wanting a superior round for long range target shooting I would go with the .338lapua. Unless you have need to stop a moving Humvee at 800yrds, then go with the .50bmg:D. Im just hoping you reload, shooting any of these calibers is going to get expensive:spend:.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    My plan is for the 338 LM. I have a 300 short mag and it is fun. I can hit 2 moa at 1000 yds with it. But I am wanting a 338 for a dedicated long range rifle. My understanding is that the balistics are about as good as anything else and better than most. If you reload, the cost of the 338 is about the same as other rounds. About 80-85 grains of powder compared to 70 grains in my 300wsm.Bullets are just a little more expensive for the 338 but not much.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    The 338LM brass cost alot also. Have you ever thought about a 338remington ultra mag. The ballistics are vary close, if you reload for them. The 338 rum will save you alot when you buy the brass.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Have you looked at the 338 Remington Ultra Mag? The ballistics, at least on paper look to be comparable, the rifles tend to be just a bit less expensive, and I think brass is less expensive too. I havent seen many reviews on this caliber, but from the looking (ans daydreaming) I have done, it looks to be a poor mans Lapua mag.

The 50 would be the ultimate, but reloading would be mandatory to afford any sort of regular shooting, and setting up for it would require a bigger press, and possibly a few other larger items that are specific to the caliber. That, combined with the extra cost of components and practical places that it could be fully utilized, the big 50 isnt the most practical long range caliber for this area.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    My understanding is that for less than 800 yds, the 338 RUM and 338 Win Mag are comparable to the LM. After 800, the others "run out of gas" and start dropping lik a rock. The LM has enough "umph" to keep a flatter trajectory out past 1000 as well as carrying more energy downrange.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Any opinion, comment or experience with these is appreciated***,

My experience in this area is very limited, but shooting OneBadV8's .300WM did put a grin on my face. :D

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...s_new_savage_110ba_300_win_mag_pics_vids.html

c05a234f.jpg

Go .50 or .338 if you've got the pockets to support it. :yesway:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    The .338 lapua is probibly the best, but also the most expensive at $5 a round.

Regardless of which one you choose if you aren't going to be hand loading for it you'll be starting with a massive handicap.

If you look at bullets first, and you should, the 300 Win Mag doesn't come close.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My understanding is that for less than 800 yds, the 338 RUM and 338 Win Mag are comparable to the LM. After 800, the others "run out of gas" and start dropping lik a rock. The LM has enough "umph" to keep a flatter trajectory out past 1000 as well as carrying more energy downrange.

The RUM has muzzle velocities that are comparable to the Lapua. Keeping this in mind, how could the RUM run out of gas while the Lapua keeps going? Given similar bullet weight, and ballistic coefficient, the performance should remain similar. Granted, the Lapua has a much greater following in the tactical crowd, but it isnt the end-all for long range .338 caliber rifles. Take a look at the .338-378 Weatherby, and maybe the luster of the Lapua might be a little less bright.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    It was explained to me that with the 338 Win Mag that the same bullet with only about 10 grains less powder, it drops to transsonic at closer ranges than the LM. The LM maintains supersonic well past 1000 while the WM is supersonic only to about 800. The WM has only 100 fps less than the LM at the muzzle. I don't claim to know the physics of how this works. This is what has been explained to me by experienced and intellegent long range shooters including one who was a sniper in the military. I trust what they have explained to me. I admit to not having a lot of knowlege about the 338 RUM, only that which I have seen in the reloading book. If it does maintain supersonic speed comparable to the LM, then my above post is not totally accurate.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    I use to shoot and reload for the 338rum and all the data that I had showed vary minimal. I shot 1000 yards regularly and I shot with a guy that used a 338LM and not much differance. Even at 1200 yards.

50bmgshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'd say 50. Because.....well, it's a 50! And some production 50's are capable of sub-moa accuracy with matchgrade ammunition. Custom builds will be capable of even better accuracy!

Of course it all comes down to how much $$ you want to put into the rifle.

Theslab1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Lafayette
    You have the facts for cost and ballistics. What factors are you considering?
    Heck, why not get one of each. ; )

IMO,
    300WM is the most practical.
    50 cal is ultimate he man caliber.
    338 is most unique shooter and would be my choice if I could ask Santa for just one.

All would be fun to own and shoot.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think we have to take a second an be honest with ourselves about how far we're actually going to be shooting sometimes. Yeah the 300wm, 338lm, and 50bmg are awesome all in their own little way, but you really have to be shooting out past 1000 yards regularly to merit having any of those.

The 300WM is going to be the least expensive to shoot because 30 cal bullets and brass are cheap when compared to the others. The 338LM is as big as you're going to get and still be able to shoot it at just about any rifle range. The 50MBG is for bragging rights and showing to your friends when you get right down to it.

Personally, I've seen guy shoot the 338 lapua's at 1000 yards and it's an impressive round. Then further down the bench I see a guys with a 308 doing the exact same thing. Then further down the bench there's a guy with a 260 who shoots at 1000 yards. Then there's a guy like me with a heavy barreled 30-06 who handloads 200gr loads and shoots out to 1000 yards.

Are you really going to be doing anything besides punching paper or denting a steel target at 1000 yards? If not, all you're going to get with the three big calibers you're looking into are more recoil, more cost, and fewer rounds down range range before you're done. It doesn't take a genious to shoot out to 1000 yards, and all you don't need a great big magnum to do it. Supposedly there's guys doing it with 90gr bullets in their 223's.

Now if you just want one just to have one, then all bets are off. I just don't want you to think you "need" some whopper magnum to shoot far.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have to agree with teddt12b about the usefulness of beating the snot out of your shoulder and wallet with the big magnums if your main intent is punching holes in paper. I cant argue that the big magnums wouldnt buck the wind better with heavier bullets, or have a flatter trajectory with all the velocity that they have over the .308. But how long did the military use the old 30-06 in a polished up springfield as an effective sniper rifle? Marine snipers have for years "made due" without the magnum for anti-personnel use out to and past the 1K mark. Heavy bullets arent even a necessity, just take a look at the Palma matches, and the 155gr pill they use.

If your intent is shooting and polishing skills on long range, the lighter caliber rifles that have proven effective at the ranges will force you to learn and master the basics. The big magnums will only crutch and mask any of the places that a shooter can stand to improve on. Think of it like substituting a 22LR for a 30-30, and shooting out to 100 (or even 200) yds. The bullet will make the flight, and the rifles and ammunition available today are certainly capable, but things like wind drift, and trajectory will be exaggerated, forcing you to make tighter calls on wind dope, and ranging.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If your intent is shooting and polishing skills on long range, the lighter caliber rifles that have proven effective at the ranges will force you to learn and master the basics. The big magnums will only crutch and mask any of the places that a shooter can stand to improve on. Think of it like substituting a 22LR for a 30-30, and shooting out to 100 (or even 200) yds. The bullet will make the flight, and the rifles and ammunition available today are certainly capable, but things like wind drift, and trajectory will be exaggerated, forcing you to make tighter calls on wind dope, and ranging.

I'd agree with what he's saying. The day I hit the steel plate at 300 yards using a 22lr with subsonic ammo was just as amazing if not more so than the first time I hit the steel at 1000 yards with my 30-06. In the big scheme of life there's very few shooters who will ever accomplish either of those, but to the people who understand what it means to do either, it's a bragging right to be proud of.

I'd agree that you don't need the heaviest bullets for your caliber, but they sure don't hurt either. I used to run 168gr matchkings in my 30-06 out to 1000 yards and it dawned on me one day that my rifle was capable of so much more if I used a heavier load. I tested teh 200gr bullets and got the same accuracy, but because of the additional weight the new 200gr load required about 6' less of elevation to reach 1000 yards, bucked the wind much better, and the impact energy at that distance was nearly doubled. That heavier bullet was a WIN in every catagory. It wasn't needed, because all I'm doing is scuffing up steel, but it sure makes it easier.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Good call to both teddy and 45. I can't disagree with what you have said. When I shoot my 300 wsm, my hold over at 1000 is about 22 feet. I can hit the target with this rifle. It is a hunting rifle and not a "dedicated long range" rifle. You can shoot any of the calibers you listed and be all right at 1000.

Top Bottom