• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just learned that I can "check-out" an M1 Garand from the Rifle & Pstol club I belong to! I can check it out for 30 days, FREE OF CHARGE, I just have to return it cleaned. :rockwoot:
    They even give you an instructional video detailing takedown, cleaning, and re-assembly. I can purchase "club-ammo" for this at the rate of $.50 p/round.

The question is NOT whether or not to take advantage of this opportunity, but rather what can I expect?
    If I want to stretch it out, what kind of effective range can I get?

The club has a range out to 300 yards. I imagine the "check-out" will be iron sights only. Is 300 yards enough to play with, or do I need to take this to Bass & Buck, where I can reach out a little farther?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I don't understand the question.

The M1 Garand with ball ammo was a 4 moa rifle. It won WWII and beat back the Chinese in Korea. The rifle is capable of 1000 yard hits, but most soldiers are not capable.

Match M1's with match ammo can do better than a service grade with mil-surp ball ammo. Nothing new here.....

Most M1's with ball ammo are frustrating to shoot at 300 yards. 200 makes you feel better. It is why CMP Garand matches are held at 200 yards.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don't understand the question.

The M1 Garand with ball ammo was a 4 moa rifle. It won WWII and beat back the Chinese in Korea. The rifle is capable of 1000 yard hits, but most soldiers are not capable.

Match M1's with match ammo can do better than a seevice grade with mil-surp ball ammo. Nothing new here.....

You sort of answered my question, whether you understood it or not.
    What is the "effective" range of the M1? I like to test myself as well as the rifle, so I'm looking for the rifles' limitations.

Likely be using Mil-surp ball ammo.
    This is not for a competition shoot, just for fun.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    you can expect to purchase one after you take it for a test run. alot of history with those rifles and hearing the ping gives me goosebumps. Gotta love the M1 Garands
    http://youtu.be/jobfbmwVu9o
    watch

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The Garand is a REAL WEAPON.
    No compromises in design.
    It has the feel that only the combat proven rifles can provide.
    It's a legend rifle for a reason you'll soon find out.
    I'll have to put my Garand on the "Never get rid of list"

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    you can expect to purchase one after you take it for a test run
    . alot of history with those rifles and hearing the ping gives me goosebumps. Gotta love the M1 Garands
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jobfbmwVu9o&feature=player_detailpage#t=17s
    watch

This is about what I was expecting. I guess I have a growing penchant for older war-rifles.

In the past couple of years I've managed to gather an Australian Lee Enfield SMLE .303 British, two Mosin Nagants (91/30, and T53), a 7.7 Jap Arisaka w/ anti-aircraft sights and an intact mum!

I fully expect to be in the market for one shortly after I return the check-out.

I AM eligible to purchase from the CMP store. Any advice as to what to look for?

You can probably tell, I'm new to the Garand.

kcwolf200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Lafayette
    I bought a service grade from CMP and the rifle that arrived was MUCH nicer than I was expecting. Shoots great too! Came with the CMP birch stock that many do not like (I personally like mine). I think you will be happy with a CMP purchase.

For my first one, I got one built in 1953 because I wanted a better chance of getting a decent shooter. There will be more though....

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    more addicting than you could ever expect. you will find yourself on the cmp forum and website all the time. buy one, then some how you cant just live with one. just like the carbines.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I'm really hoping to make a visit to the CMP store and pick one out in person.

The ones that they ship are much nicer than they display in the store.

It has always been true. They hate complaints and any complaints from somebody that hand picked one from the store are automatically invalid.

If you order one, chances are REAL good that it will be better than one in the rack at the store. If it is a defective rifle mail-ordered, they will fix it. I

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Mine rings steel out to 500 yards with standard milsurp ammo. That's from a seated position and resting on a sandbag mind you but she will do it. Fantastic rifle, if your eyes are good enough the rifle will do its job. :)

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I shoot the CMP Greek HXP ammo....not the greatest for accuracy at distance. I think I'm getting about a 3" group at 110yds....but seems 2 out of 8 shots kinda stray. At 340 yds at Bass n' Bucks I shoot at 13 clicks up an get about a 11" group...once again some group real close but some want to stray out. At the 540 yd gong I can hit once or twice with each 8 rd. at 19 clicks up....I have not yet shot match ammo or reloads, but I'm sure the accuracy would increase alot.....its just a great rifle to shoot!!!

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I have a GARAND, but it's heavy, en-bloc only holds 8 rounds. Once you're use to an AR-15 that is light & has a 20, 30, or even 100 round drum, the GARAND just doesn't excite me like it used to

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a GARAND, but it's heavy, en-bloc only holds 8 rounds. Once you're use to an AR-15 that is light & has a 20, 30, or even 100 round drum, the GARAND just doesn't excite me like it used to

I like the AR15, enough that I have 5 of them, and an AR10, but the AR15 feels more like a toy to me than the old "war-rifles" of yesteryear.

There's a reason the troops used to joke about AR's, (actually M16's) being "..made by Mattel."

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I like the AR15, enough that I have 5 of them, and an AR10, but the AR15 feels more like a toy to me than the old "war-rifles" of yesteryear.

There's a reason the troops used to joke about AR's, (actually M16's) being "..made by Mattel."

^^^ This!
    I also like my AR15, but there's just something about the "heft" and "feel" of the old wood and steel battle rifles... Don't have a Garand yet, but I will... oh yes... I will have one! :rockwoot:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Be warned...M1 Garand-itis is as bad, if not worse than Evil Black Rifle disease. Once you shoot it you will want to own 1 or more for your personal collection.

Patton wasn't kidding when he called it the "greatest single battle implement ever devised."

While there are now better battle rifles out there, the M1 still command respect, and is an absolute joy to shoot. :ar15:

Top Bottom