• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Ok, got my first chance to get it out todayand put some rounds downrange. First 35 rounds were flawless. Second 35 had one failure to feed. Next mag had two rounds fine then one spent casing stuck in the chamber. From that point on I had multiple fte and ended up with one so stuck it took a rubber mallet to get it out. We were using steel casing Tulammo fmj in it and an older mini-14. The ruger handled them all without a single hiccup.

Y'all think this is an ammo issue or rifle issue? If rifle, what's your suggestion? Accuracy was actually quite good, actually better than either of us could achieve with the ruger.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Steel cased ammo is iffy with many semi auto's. The minis are notorious for not liking, so congrats on finding one that does.

Before I got too worried about the firearm, I'd try some different brass cased ammo and see how it does.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Tear it down completely and clean everything especially the bolt and chamber. Century is notorious for leaving tons of crud in their builds. I speak from experience.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I did a good cleaning when I got home yesterday. Looks like the chamber may have a thin film of the parkerizing **** on it. Got to find a way to get that out without messing things up! I checked all the wire brush attachments for my dremel and they;re all too large for the chamber.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    OK, so two things have happened since I had my issues. First off I bought 100rds of PMC Brass 55gr .223 from Bradis on Sunday. I filled up one of my good mags and manually cycled it through and it was MUCH easier. When I put one of the PMC's next to the Tula I see that the Tula is actually longer. Just long enough to catch on the mags.

Second thing, I got a new Tapco mag in the mail at work. Filled it up with the PMC, and manually cycled it through with NO FTF's. So Saturday, I'll take it out to the folks and try a couple mags to see if it is truly fixed.

tbone1951

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Golani

Sometimes there is some parkerizing resedue in the chamber. If there is clean it out and you may be good to go.

Terry

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Looks like it doesn't like the steel cases herters. Ate a hundred rounds of brass PMC without a hitch. Third round of herters jammed and stuck in the chamber.

So it looks likeim going to have 133 rds of steel cases herters for trade!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    With old steel cases, you'll get carbon in the chamber because the steel doesn't expand like brass when you fire it, and there's room for the carbon to get into the chamber. Newer ones are polymer coated to address this. The problem usually comes in when you switch back to brass, and those expand into the fouling, and latch on. You won't notice it just cycling them, you have to actually fire them. I had to use more than a rubber mallet on an AR once. The extractor actually took a chunk out of the rim, and once I'd knocked the thing out, I could see where the chamber was about as rough as 200 grit sandpaper. I still don't trust that barrel yet.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Odd that I got the problem switching from brass to steel. But I know it loves the brass ammo so that's what I will feed her from now on!

Top Bottom