• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Bought a Yugo 59/66 SKS today from an INGO member :ingo: and it came with synthetic furniture installed, but also had the original wood, bayonet and cleaning rod too and I would like to put it back to its original configuration, but can't seem to figure out how to do that. Not quite as obvious as Mosins on breaking it down! :): Any tips/instructions?

The synthetic stock does look pretty cool, and I'll hang on to it in case I find a good deal on a barreled action in the future...
    IMG_1097.jpg

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Youtube is your friend.

Also if you have any burning desires to learn more about the sks, sksboards.com is great.

Several INGO members are on there as well.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Even switching barreled actions from one Mosin stock to another is sometimes a problem. They have to be inletted a bit by the rear of the reciever. Rifles made prior to WWII have a stepped receiver.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    One more question... the wood stock doesn't really seem to have any finish on it at all. Not sure if that's the way it was or whether it has been stripped previously. I was thinking of using either Tung Oil or Boiled Linseed Oil on it. Is one better than the other? Or is there even a noticeable difference between the two?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ive had real nice results out of the Birchwood casey Tru Oil, Ive refinished 2 Mosin stocks with it and they look very nice
    I've done some other reading and that sounds like a possible option too. I also something mentioned called Howard's feed-n-wax... It was a Mauser forum I was on, but it was spoken highly of too. I'd never heard of it.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ive never herd of that either but I speak highly of the Tru Oil, inexpensive to buy, and very easy to use with great results( providing your prep work is done correctly:D)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ive never herd of that either but I speak highly of the Tru Oil, inexpensive to buy, and very easy to use with great results( providing your prep work is done correctly:D)
    Is Tru Oil mainly carried at gun shops, or would I find it at Menard's, Lowe's, etc.? And really the only prep work I did on this stock is to clean it with Murphy's Oil Soap. Like I said, I don't think it even has any finish on it at all. And yes, I do value your opinion! :D

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I think that's what I'm leaning towards... Some of the guys on the Mauser forum thought it was too glossy for milsurp, but I dunno... I can't see an oil finish being all that glossy.

If its to glossy for ya after you get it put on , hit it with some fine steel wool, (the directions on the bottlewill tell ya what to do).

I have seen it available from most gun shops, if not Midway, Brownells will have it online.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Then again... I could just use what I have... a Red Oak stain and semi-gloss clear spar urethane (with a little fine steel wool to knock the gloss off)... worked on the last Mosin, and it was stripped bare to about the color that the sks wood is now...
    IMG_1095.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    "Yugoslavian PAP M59/66: Added 22 mm grenade launcher which appears visually like a flash suppressor or muzzle brake on the end of the barrel. Front sight has a fold-up "ladder" for use in grenade sighting (main sights on the A1 version have flip up phosphorus or tritium night sights). When the grenade sight is raised, the gas system is automatically blocked and the action must be manually cycled—rifle grenades must be fired with blank cartridges for safety, and this feature helps ensure that a live round is not loaded from the magazine. The gas system is not automatically unblocked when the sight is folded, however, and must be manually opened to again allow semi-automatic operation.[8] Barrel was not chrome-lined before about 1970. Both the grenade launcher and grenade sight are NATO spec. Stock is typically made from beech wood."

Well sunuvabeech... who would've guessed? So is it wrong to put red oak stain on beech? I've never seen a "beech" stain... (beech stain... there's a joke in there somewhere... :):)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Got 'er done!

Finally got the stock switched out. Everything was pretty easy except for the hand guard, which had a pin that had to be drilled/driven out. I like the wood stock better, personally.
    IMG_1097.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    I learned complete takedown of many weapons from youtube. It is an incredible resource for these kinds of things. Looks great, thanks for updating.

Top Bottom