• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoctorJ32174

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Ok, I'm an admitted newbie regarding rifles. I'm trying to break into the AR scene and want some realistic advice from you seasoned veterans.

Right now, I have no desire to attempt an AR build - maybe after I become familiar with them.

So, what's the good, better, best and worst of the out-of-the-box ARs out here? Any junkers out there to absolutely avoid?

With my age increasing, and my vision fading, I'll be looking to put an optic sight on it. The gun will be used for plinking and getting to know the weapon inside and out.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Doc

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    personally i think the rock river options are great bang for your buck ar's.

what are your intentions for the optic? are you thinking about long range, short range, both?

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    PSA is probably the best bang for the buck right now. Their patrol carbine is $1000 and includes a $400 aimpoint pro. you can't beat that with a stick.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    While I am not a seasoned veteran with the AR platform, I was in the same boat as you not very long ago. I didn't want to do a build for my first AR. I wanted one ready to go out of the box and learn the platform first.

I did alot of research and I ended up going with the s&w m&p15 sport model. It does not have the forward assist or the dust cover. Both of which do not matter to me at all. I am very happy with this rifle. It has been 100% reliable since day one and is a pleasure to shoot. I got it for $599 and I feel it is a good rifle for the money.

PSA also has some very nice complete rifle options that are priced good and are excellent rifles IMO.

My advice is take your time and keep doing what you are doing as far as research. There are so many options out there it can make your head spin! Especially if you are new to the AR game. The good news is with all the options there IS a rifle out there for you that will fill your needs.
    Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    Read as much as you can before you buy anything. Then buy quality the first time and you will be much happier. Can you do it cheap...of course you can but do it right the first time and you will save money in the long run.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Read as much as you can before you buy anything. Then buy quality the first time and you will be much happier. Can you do it cheap...of course you can but do it right the first time and you will save money in the long run.

This ^

When you ask a question on a forum you are going to get everyone answering you with what they bought as being "the best". In other words, 1 question, 100 different answers. This leaves you no better informed than when you started.

Right now everyone is shouting PSA. A few months ago nobody even heard of PSA. Are they the latest, greatest thing since sliced bread? Only time will tell. Their specs look good, they buy in massive volume, they're passing the savings on to the consumer.

Visit as many AR15 specific forums as you can, read everything, get a feel for who is telling the truth and who is talking out of their arse.

Take your time, educate yourself, be informed when you make your decision on which AR you want to buy.

:twocents:

HaleysLodge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Lafayette
    We just got a couple pf M&P 15's in and they are real nice for the price, of course they just have "iron sights" they come with a magpul PMAG and MBUS sights which are very nice to see coming from the factory

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Rock River, S&W, and Spikes make good mid level AR's. I would stear clear of Bushmaster. I own one, but had issues do to lack of detail from the factory.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    There are several good ones to buy these days. I got into it back in the 80s when I lucked into a good one used. I read books, looked at the parts, took it apart, put it back together. I learned how it works, what all the parts do and how, the differences between M16A1 and AR15. I am absolutely confident in building one from parts now. Find something good and learn about it, or something kinda crummy and learn a lot fixing it :) It's an adventure. Bon Voyage! These guys will know more about which one to buy now; I just wanted to give you my perspective.

Top Bottom