• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mkidwe01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Greenwood
    I was at a local gun store yesterday and was interested in purchasing an SKS. I have owned many and have always loved them. The question comes into play when dealing with a detachable mag. I was told at the gun store that it is illegal to replace the attached with a detached. I have never heard that and I am not saying it isn't true. Does any one have any experience on this issue

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    It's not about whether the magazine is legal (there's no law against it, per se), it's about whether you have "assembled" an illegal rifle by having too many imported parts.

“…(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

922(r) Parts Count Info from ATF - 14 Parts!

Hope this link helps. It's VERY confusing the first time you go through it. The link is specifically dealing with the Chinese SKS, so YMMV.

Googling "922(r)" should keep you busy for days.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    As long as it is not an m/d model you will have to obey the 922r

The detachable mags are usually junk and tapco is the only one that is regarded as reliable. The duckbill is a PITA to insert correctly. If you really want an sks with detachable mags, and cannot get an m/d model I would highly suggest this. I have this on one of my sks, all the others I left in their original form.

>>>Home - TheSKSmagAdapter <<< If you install this you still have to follow 922r

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Keep in mind, the gubment doesn't go door to door making sure your rifles are 922r compliant ;)

Take that statement however you'd like...

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    kludge hit the nail on the head with an explanation, But I have to say if you want a high cap mag, do yourself a favor an get an AK. Those detachable mags for the SKS suck or atleast most of them are. They end to never work right from what Ive seen.

Chipslinger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0

The detachable mags are usually junk and tapco is the only one that is regarded as reliable. The duckbill is a PITA to insert correctly. If you really want an sks with detachable mags, and cannot get an m/d model I would highly suggest this. I have this on one of my sks, all the others I left in their original form.

>>>Home - TheSKSmagAdapter <<< If you install this you still have to follow 922r

I'm going with zog on this. I have had the same experience with the cheapo steel mags. My Tapco set up feeds great.

I do not have a M/D model so no experience on them. I have heard that some had issues with mag wobble causing feeding issues?

BTW - I spotted a Russian SKS's with a detachable duck bill mag inserted in a gun shop 2 weeks ago. The 922r issue is looked at differently by many.....

Last edited:

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    ah the SKS, my favorite milsurp rifle.... the 922r laws can be confusing to a person new to the "1- or less game" you may not have more than 10 of the listed parts made of non US manufacture if you replace any part. Here is a link to a spreadsheet that will help a lot. once you have this spreadsheet on your computer you open it with microsoft office or a similar office program.

http://www.sksboards.com/special_files/922-r_Compliance_Worksheet.zip

Here is what it looks like...

922r.jpg

notice that at the bottom there are tabs for different types of sks, this is because there is a different part count for some SKS than others. select the type of rifle you have and then start filling in the lines with the appropriate parts and the sheet will tell you weather or not your rifle is 922r compliant.
    922r compliance is important as a violation can range from confiscation and destruction of the non-compliant weapon up to 10 years in prison and $250,000 fine.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, they won't come around looking for them, so far, anyway, but get in the wrong place at the wrong time, and you'll have plenty of time to think back fondly on the time when all you had was a ten round mag. I'd considered it, but thought about it a little. The bolt has a slot for a stripper. It stays back when you're empty. Grab a stripper, drop it in, RRRIP, you're reloaded. Probably faster to reload it that way three times than fumble with that duckbill thing, and you don't stand to lose anything valuable. Plus, you can get, er, "more prone" with the short mag.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN

Are those mag adapters still available???

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka

thay are but the guy who made them, Marcus, is working on a new adapter that will allow the sks to use modified 7.62x39 AR-15 mags. its gonna be quite sweet. in order to make your rifle 922r compliant will usually require the replacement of the magazine, stock & hand guard, as well as the gas piston

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co

Yes they are. I have the g3. The new g5 is out and a slight upgrade but doesn't keep the 100% original look. I will take pictures of it on the sks that I built. And I believe the prices go up after the 1st.

I suggest looking at this thread for more info. http://http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?board=65.0. You have to slightly have to modify the tapco mags. It is easy and takes less than 10 minutes. I would be happy to answer other questions. Marcus, the maker also stands behind his product.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    Anybody looking at SKS mods anyway? Ill put on mine what I want,dont care about that 10 parts this and that crap its silly who made what part.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Anybody looking at SKS mods anyway? Ill put on mine what I want,dont care about that 10 parts this and that crap its silly who made what part.

it's all well and good to say that but if you do modifications to the sks and dont follow the ATF's guidelines you have to think about this...

suppose you have a house fire or a burglary, or a medical emergency or natural disaster. Police and paramedics come to your house, to help, and in the process of helping they find your illegally modified rifle.... you get hit with a federal firearms charge and land in prison forever loosing your rights to own firearms and giving the anti-gun people one more piece of ammo to use against us.

you're driving to your favorite range for a day of shooting, your sks is in the trunk of your car. you don't notice you are doing 45 in a 40 untill the red and blues appear behind you. they run your plates check your ID and just for fun ask you to pop the trunk.....federal firearm charge

Top Bottom