• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I am looking at building me a 22LR. I had thought of using the tried and true 10/22, but I have decided to go with a Bolt Rifle set up. No real reason, other than I am partial to bolt action 22's...

I have a couple of questions for the builders amongst us...

1) What upgrades are out there for the 77/22?!

2) What parts are interchangeable with the 10/22?!

3) Where is a good source for parts for the 77/22 to increase its performance?!

4) Suggestions on what does not work...

I am wanting to stick with a wood stock. I am thinking a Bull Barrel (threaded for future expansion of course). And a nice piece of glass on top of it as well. This will be a paper shooter, but I also expect to be able to smite smaller varmints around the homestead with it as well...

I am thinking by the time the build is done it will have a can on it. I am also looking for above average accuracy out of this system as well. I am not looking for a dime shooter at a 200 yards, but I would like to think it should be able to achieve that at a hundred fairly easily (granting I do my part anyway).

Thanks
    Jeremy

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    1. What upgrades does a rifle that you have not yet shot or purchased yet, need?

2. None. maybe the mags.

3. Increase performance in what way? The 22LR is the 22 LR....

4. No response.

Look, I am not trying to be rude or funny here, I just don't understand buying a factory rifle that is plenty accurate out of the box and immediately "upgrading" it to some different standard.

I would be proud to own a 77/22 just the way it is. The rifle fits me real well and is plenty accurate. If it wasn't, I would not buy it in the first place.

What is wrong with this right out of the box?

http://www.ruger.com/products/rotaryMagazine7722/models.html

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Magazines, and magazine releases are interchangeable. The barrels can be with a little work. The 77/22 has an extractor on both sides unlike a 10/22, so it would need modified or replaced with something like a Green Mountain. It installs like the 10/22, so swapping it shouldn't be any trouble. I pulled mine and sent it out to LRP to be threaded. I have an older model with the black and green "boat paddle" stock. As far as aftermarket stocks go, I haven't seen much out there and would be interested in one myself. Only issue with mine is the trigger guard is molded into the stock, so additional hardware would be needed. The factory rings are the only way to go, since Ruger uses a proprietary mount that is integrated on the receiver. +1 on getting a can, I guarantee you won't regret it.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    1. What upgrades does a rifle that you have not yet shot or purchased yet, need?
    Hence the reason I'm asking...
    2. None. maybe the mags.
    What I thought as well...
    3. Increase performance in what way? The 22LR is the 22 LR....
    Is it that solid of a platform that there is no tweaking needed?!
    Never know till you ask now do ya.
    A 22LR is a very capable little round for a multitude of tasks...

4. No response.

Look, I am not trying to be rude or funny here, I just don't understand buying a factory rifle that is plenty accurate out of the box and immediately "upgrading" it to some different standard.

I would be proud to own a 77/22 just the way it is. The rifle fits me real well and is plenty accurate. If it wasn't, I would not buy it in the first place.

What is wrong with this right out of the box?

Ruger® Rotary Magazine 77/22® Bolt-Action Rifle Models
    I am always curious as to what others do to get that extra little bit out of what the Rifles can do. I am looking at either a 77/22-R or the K77/22-VBZ if there are a lot of mods to make one a sweet shooter then I would be looking at putting one together from a parts, similar to the last 10/22 I "purchased". If there is not really that many mods to do to one then I will be purchasing a New one.

You have never Modded anything?! Ever?! :dunno:

Nothing at all wrong with out of the box for most people, I just like to tinker.

* The Red, Bold, and Underlined comments are mine...
    ** The above Caveat was added by me for the slower amongst us...

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Trigger work is a given, either stoning the factory setup or putting in a kit. A bit off the sear takes down the creep, flattening out the top of the trigger helps pull, replacing the spring does too. There are tutorials on the web.

CPC will do a variety of things to a 77/22. Do any of them help? I have no idea. I've tightened the bolt on a couple of hornets and can't say it mattered, but they were properly headspaced to begin with.

If you go with the stainless/laminate version there isn't much reason to find an aftermarket stock. The usual wood stuff will be inferior to factory. A McMillan rimfire varmint is an upgrade but they are chunky. If you get lucky you can find someone selling the now discontinued McMillan rimfire sporter for one. Worth every penny.

Other than that, you could always pull the barrel and replace it with something that doesn't have a lousy chamber, as is often the case with Ruger rifles.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Nothing wrong with modding your guns. I love tinkering with mine, working on my third 10/22 now and still playing with my 700. With that being said, one of the guns that I own that I have never felt a need to tinker with is my 77/22, and I have had it for 25 years. The thing has always been a tack driver. Of all my 22s this is the one I grab when squirrel season opens. As far as increasing performance, I have head shot squirrels at over 100 yards and killed a muskrat at 125 yards with mine so I don't know what else needs to be done. The 77/22 is a great rifle right out of the box, not much more needs to be done. My suggestion to you is buy the rifle put a good quality scope on it then decide if you think it needs modified. If you do decide you still need to tinker with it. you will find out there isn't much out there for it. Very few replacement stocks, Richard Microfit makes some nice ones. I know Green Mountain, and Clark Custom have barrels for a 77/22.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    i have 2 77's. one is a 17 hmr and other is 22. both have jard triggers and volquartsen sears, 22 has lilja barrel, 17 hmr has volquartsen barrel. furniture on 22 from richards micro modified by me to my taste, 17 has factory gray laminate.

have bought a spare 22 mag barrel for 17, and have a spare thumhole stock that i'm going to get rid of.

both are great shooters. but i'm more into 10/22's. currently have 4 of them. one of them doesnt have a ruger part in it, the others are only the receiver from ruger...daryll

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I always crown the barrel, slick the bolt and stone the trigger. I don't know if the spring needs replacing but I'd listen to Yeah before me.

I'd install a third sling post for the CW sling. I'd cut the LOP down to 12" too.

I'd knock those awful, awful factory sights off with a framing hammer and install XS sights. They work real well with the Rugers.

ScoutRifle.org - Ruger 77UL and Ruger 77/22 Scout Rifles by XS Sights

397561786.jpg

Top Bottom