• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buzzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    I know it's muzzleloader time but not sure what the best kind is and what do guys recommend?

Also, I'll be needing a Deer gun too, for next year. Any advice? Thanks.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I love my T/C Encores with 209x50 barrels, but they are a bit pricey. Thought I would buy other barrels, and even had a 308 barrel with one, but I sold it and pretty much gave up on that.

For deer, options keep expanding. Depends a lot on how you hunt, where you hunt, terrain, budget. You can get a couple hundred dollar pump 12 gauge slug gun - they did the job for a LOT of years in Indiana. Or you could get a rifle with an Indiana legal round. Personally, I'd like to try a 458 SOCOM AR. Or you could get real good with the muzzleloader and use it all season.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Your really gonna have to decide how much you are willing to spend and start there.

Say you have a 500.00 budget... You can buy a pump shotgun or a H&R handi-rifle in .44 mag as well as a cheaper muzzleloader and have a gun for each season.

You could also buy a nice muzzleloader as suggested above and use it in both seasons.

Maybe you would enjoy bow hunting (my favorite). Then you can get a starter bow and a muzzleloader and hunt all three seasons.

Take that approach.

Other factors...do you have a nice pump shoty already? If not...would you like turkey hunting possibly or trap shooting one day? Maybe that sways you to a 12 gauge with a rifled barrel for firearms deer season and you have an all in one gun to start out. Then add bows/muzzleloaders if you see you like it.

I started 4 years ago and bought a 12 gauge remy 870. Did Turkey and deer my first year. Fell in love with deer so I bought a bow. Then decided I enjoyed it so much I bought a muzzloader. Since then I have used that initial 12 gauge for trap, turkey, pheasant hunting and purchased a .44 mag for deer.

Its an adventure..start with a budget and then figure out your options within it and what your potential interests are.

buzzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    I'd like to start with a budget of less than $500. I figured that after the season I would be able to pick up a good deal on a used 12 or 20 gauge with a rifled barrel.

Wolfe28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Don't forget to check the used rack at the LGS. I picked up on of my muzzleloaders for $25 about 5 years ago. It will still put two rounds touching at 50 yards.

D

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Oh just go buy something!!

I am not sure how the rest of the guys on here are.......but for Indiana deer you can get by with just a M/L and hunt Indiana deer like a CHAMP!!!!

But for me and I think a lot of the people on here, you will want something new in two years when the next COOL TOY comes out that YOU HAVE GOT TO HAVE for deer season!!!

So under that notion.....just buy what you like at the time because it will change in three years anyway.....also I still feel that the Indiana DNR is in cahoots the gun stores in the area.....it is their little way of stimulating the economy by having us out buying new guns every two years when they change the rules!!! Hell in 6 years we will be looking for 30-06 and 270's once we have all bought 458 SOCOM's, 35 Rem., 460's, and 45-70's...

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I agree with bj223 you can get by with any M/L and shoot in both firearms, M/L seasons.
    But you only get one shot with the M/L, if you have a shot gun you can take that follow up shot. I use a Mossberg 500 that I bought cheap at a pawn shop & put a scoped rifled slug barrel on it. With this ammo (Shotgun Ammunition - Shotshell Slug - Premier Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded - Sabot Slugs) I can consistently hit out to 200yds, that is farther than I'll need to shoot around here but it is nice to know that it is there when I need it.

buzzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Ok, I bought a used CVA muzzleloader with scope for $50. It is a little rough but I figured for $50 how could I go wrong. The breech plug was a bear to get out and I finally managed it but it is corroded pretty bad and after about 15 runs through the barrel, I'm still bringing out black stuff. After I get it cleaned good, I'm going to try to sight it in.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just saw a Rossi matched pair on GunBroker that had 2 barrels, 1 .243 the other .50cal ml.

I know you can get the matched pair in a shotgun caliber, just not sure if it comes shotgun/muzzleloader combo. You can always add anohter barrel to the mix though, and the Rossi matched pair was less than $300!

buzzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    Yes, there is a Dicks about 20 miles away and I also just got a rewards card from them. I'll check them out too. For some reason, I always hate signing those papers though but will do it for a good deal.

Top Bottom