Shotgun barrel length modification.. Where to measure from?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    I've got a Hawk 12ga. shotgun (Rem. 870 Xpress clone) that I'm going to specifically modify for home defense use only, where I want to cut the barrel down from the 28" it has now, down to 18"-19" to make it easier to carry in the close indoor confines of our home if need be. The current barrel has a vent rib and is a black matte finish.

I want to make sure it's of legal length of at least 18", but I'm not certain on where the measurement point is- at least where would law enforecement take measurements.

I assume they take the measurement from the closed breech face out to the end of the barrel or do they measure from the shoulder of the chamber where the shell lips rests against to the end of the barrel?

I've already purchased several boxes of Winchester Super-X 00-buck 3' high-brass Magnum ammo, so once I get this thing modified, tested, cleaned and loaded- I'll have it stored/prepared, ready for anything.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Closed breach face..... 18" minimum, I would go 18.5" or 19" to be safe.
    1/2 inch too short and you could be in a world of :poop:

Measure 3 times, cut once.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Closed breach face..... 18" minimum, I would go 18.5" or 19" to be safe.
    1/2 inch too short and you could be in a world of :poop:

Measure 3 times, cut once.
    Thanks, I figured as much. :)

I think I've found where I'm going to make the cut and then re-drill/re-tap the front vent rib post to re-mount the front sight bead. I won't have the screw-in choke adjustability any longer, but then I don't really mind, as this will be our close-quarter protection gun anyway.

A 19" open-barrel'ed 12ga. pump w/ a 5 round magazine, slinging 15 count 00-buckshot via 3" Magnum shells should be "just right". :D

shotgunbarrel.jpg

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Have you cut a barrel before? If not, I would take it to a gunsmith or buy another barrel. I personaly would buy another barrel. Why ruin a perfectly good barrel that could be used to shot trap, or hunt with, etc.?

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Anderson
    I agree with U.S. Patriot. I would recommend just purchasing the barrel. I was just looking at an 18 1/2 one for my 500A and it was less than $100 and I know it's legal. I was of the understanding that the barrel length started at the end of the chamber. Meaning that if your shotgun shoots 3" shells, then the total barrel length will be 21". Not completely sure of that though so don't take it as gosple.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Have you cut a barrel before? If not, I would take it to a gunsmith or buy another barrel. I personaly would buy another barrel. Why ruin a perfectly good barrel that could be used to shot trap, or hunt with, etc.?
    A number of years ago- yes. It's quite easy on a horizontal band saw, as all one has to do is set the barrel level w/ the world, adjust the feed rate and tension spring of the saw to light and let the machine do the rest. Radius/chamfer the edges with a jewlers file, touch up the end with cold blue and you're set.

FYI- I'm a mechanical engineer by profession w/ a minor in manual machining, so doing this sort of thing is a cake walk.. I just finished up some basic smithing on a Taurus TCP 738 .380 this past week with success and I had never taken that gun apart before either. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...urus_tcp_738_380_random_jamming_fix_pics.html
    I always love the challenge of something new. :)

I don't care to save the barrel of this gun, because for one- it's a Chinese "nothing" gun to me, so it doesn't matter; two- you can't get parts for these Hawk guns much anymore and if you do, nothing interchanges with anything else or even fits very well, as that's the typical Chinese way and three- I use my much nicer Remington 870 Wingmaster for hunting, trap shooting, etc.

Last edited:

blackbird1988

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Richmond, KY
    Back in the day I have cut down 2 12s and 2 20s, with the rib you want to cut it back to the last support and you can even remount your front bead sight post there . Then I have started cuts with a really sharp tubing cutter ( tape on the area under the rollers) which gives a good staight start on the cut and finish up with a fine hacksaw and file...and like you said cold blue.

matt4shadow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Hobart
    Blackbird has got it right. To ease your mind after the cut, close the bolt. Put a wood dowel down the barrel and mark were it ends. Measure the dowel and you are good to go. *Make sure to leave room after the cut to clean it up. You don't want to make the cut and file it down to clean it up only to make it to short.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Be very careful with measuring and cutting. Remember, it was the interpretation of the barrel length laws that gave the murderous butchers at the ATF an excuse to storm Randy Weavers house in Ruby Ridge. You remember, the incident where some some Feds stormed the mans house and a psycho federal swat officer shot Randy's wife while she was holding their baby in the doorway of the house. I would follow the advice of another post and just buy a factory shorter barrel.

Top Bottom