• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    I know this is to limit capacity but is that only for migratory birds? I have a Mossberg 500 that I deer hunt with and is also my go to HD gun, and I want to go full cap on it, so I guess what Im getting to is, can I remove the dowel and still be legal for deer and tree rats? I know this is kind of outdoors, but since it is more about the legality of modifying the current system I thought it should go here.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know this is to limit capacity but is that only for migratory birds? I have a Mossberg 500 that I deer hunt with and is also my go to HD gun, and I want to go full cap on it, so I guess what Im getting to is, can I remove the dowel and still be legal for deer and tree rats? I know this is kind of outdoors, but since it is more about the legality of modifying the current system I thought it should go here.
    I'm thinking (and I could be wrong) that you're limited to 3 shells for deer, but that may be out the window since they allow lever guns with higher capacities. No capacity limit for tree rats... :):

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    check the DNR website or call a local office to be sure. I always heard the 3 shell limit was for waterfowl :dunno:

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I dont believe there are any capacity limitations on deer or any small game. The only one I am sure about is dove and you can only have three rounds for those.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    There is no slug or shot shell limit for deer, turkeys, or small game animals in Indiana. You can pull the plug out and hunt with it. Simply put it back in if you ever decide to hunt waterfowl or doves.

Shep79

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Bainbridge
    Straight from the DNR website, "When hunting for migratory game birds and waterfowl (i.e., doves, ducks, geese, woodcock, etc.), it is illegal to use a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler that is incapable of being removed without disassembling the gun. There are no restrictions on magazine capacity for hunting of any other species."

Keep in mind if you go next door to Ohio to deer hunt you are limited to three slugs and the gun better be plugged.

Top Bottom