• Poll closed .

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    What type of stock do you perfer on your AR or AK?

Standard?
    Folding?
    Collapsable/Adjustable?

& Why?
    It is possible to shot an AR/AK when using a folding stock that is NOT extended? Seems that is going to hurt and recoil is going to be a bear!

-Jedi

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Most standard stocks, whether it be shotgun, AR, or AK, are too long for the way I shoot.

A collapsible stock is my preference, as it allows me to find the sweet spot on stock length.

A folding stock either turns your rifle into a pistol (:noway:), or allows you to store it in a smaller container.

BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    I have neither but my mini 14 ATI Stock offers all. I appreciate each application but I'd suppose my telescoping feat is the best trait all around.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've found I prefer a metal folding stock so my rifle fits in a smaller space. I've had the folder/collapsible on the Mini-14 and it didn't work well for me because of the hinge placement and the fact that I'm left-handed.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I generally like collapsible stocks on AR's unless it is a dedicated LR gun.

The one underfolder AR I have rattles my fillings out, It looks awesome but I enjoy shooting my fixed stock one better.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    standard stocks all the way for me. I train to compensate for the length, and i can use the rifle as a tool w/out damaging the collapsing meganism... i have done it before in the field and it sucks. fixed stocks all the way

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I generally like collapsible stocks on AR's unless it is a dedicated LR gun.

The one underfolder AR I have rattles my fillings out, It looks awesome but I enjoy shooting my fixed stock one better.

Where do you get an underfolder AR? You mean AK?

I prefer a collapsible stock on my AR so my 4'11" wife can shoot it. Standard stock on my AK and its a little too short for me.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Are you liking that folding/collapsible stock AR, Jediagh?

To answer your question ... yes, it can be fired with the stock folded. However that is mostly for Hollywood effect. The point of the folding stock is primarily to reduce weapon length for certain applications such as travel in vehicles (VIP or convoy protection) or aircraft (think paratroopers). Accuracy and rate of effective fire are another story when fired in this manner.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Standard, though my AK had a dragunov style stock, because I hate standard AK stocks. Just one less thing to break in my opinion. Unless you have really short arms, or use some new fancy shooting stance.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Are you liking that folding/collapsible stock AR, Jediagh?

To answer your question ... yes, it can be fired with the stock folded. However that is mostly for Hollywood effect. The point of the folding stock is primarily to reduce weapon length for certain applications such as travel in vehicles (VIP or convoy protection) or aircraft (think paratroopers). Accuracy and rate of effective fire are another story when fired in this manner.

Have not look at it since it's in the safe. Personal preferance is NO.
    Looks dangerous as in its a weak point (IMO) in terms of the stock folding back on me. Also as you said it can pinch you when you open it. Me being a N00b I woudl rather keep my operations more simple.

I like the collapsable stock on my SG and a few minutes ago finally made the decision to buy parts to make the AK more "tactical" :rolleyes: and the only decision was folding or collapisble stock. Since I'm use to the collapsible and am comfortable with that I went that route.

-Jedi

ps.
    Sorry but you won't take me over to the DARK SIDE and love an AR.

NEVER!!!! :D

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Collapsable for me. It helps adjust if I'm wearing a bullet proof vest or not so I can get the right fit.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    You really should take a closer look. That hinge is rock solid when locked in place. Go ahead. Take it out and look at it. You could put your body weight on it or butt-stroke a few 250 lb Zombies without worry of it collapsing ... or folding.

About getting pinched .... that could be any gun with any moving part.

BTW, PM me about your plans later.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I have used....

M4
    SP1 style
    Magpul CTR
    Magpul ACS
    Magpul UBR
    Magpul UBR w/ extended buttpad
    RRA adustable
    A1
    A2

I have standardized on fixed A1 style stocks with a few machine shop modifications, sling swivel sockets, and bam. I am trying to sell off all my Magpull crap.

Mall-Ninja BS meant to suck all yer dollahs.

The part of the gun between your hand and your shoulder is just there to fill the space.

The important crap is in front of your nose.

But hey, whatever works.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I have a collapsable so my wife and I can both shoot the ar... If I had a fixed though maybe it'd be a good excuse to buy a collapsable...

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    An AR cannot have a "folding" stock, as the recoil mechanism uses the stock for spring extension. It can have a collapsible stock, with the short spring and buffer. An AK has all the recoil mechanism within the rifle, so it can use any of the three. I have a side folder for mine. I have a couple of shotguns with side folders as well. I would use any of them folded only in a crisis situation; I would unfold it for use if possible.

Top Bottom