• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    This is probably opening a can of worms, but why is everyone so in love with AR's? Is it because they are easily customized or what?

:popcorn:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    no can of worms. its a very user friendly, reliable platform, which can serve most of the purposed the average sportsman has.

sure there are other options, but people tend to purchase what they know, and are familiar w/, and understand. thats what makes the ar platform so popular.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    A combination of ergonomics and familiarity.

The platform is set up for ease of use and most of the people training the trainers are veterans of the AR platform.

Look at how "urban rifle" began: a Marine Corps veteran comes home to Indiana to a Sheriff's Department and as FTU begins to develop how to use the AR platform at pistol ranges.

Love? I don't know, it's just a gun, but it combines those very utilitarian concepts.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    They're easy to obtain, given the money; they're easy to understand with some time and study; they're very customizable; sighting systems, different calibers, accessories, whatnot. It's easy to do things with them that are difficult to impossible with other platforms. There's much to like.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Then there are those of us who really do understand the love, but can't afford it.

I totally understand if someone can't afford one. There certainly was a time when I couldn't. That gap is narrowing, however, as some good entry-level rifles can now be had in the $6-700 range.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    For some, it is like riding a banana seat bike, yeah it was cool back then but as soon as you can get away from them you do.

But then years later, while trying not to admit your older and that you miss your old bike you break down and buy one.

Then another, then another, then one for each day of the week, then one for each type mission you plan to never need to execute but are prepared for anyway... etc..

My guess is it is just something you find in your blood...

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    They are the new "modern" hunting rifle beside being a target rifle and a defensive/offensive weapon..easy to clean and very reliable and amazingly accurate with low recoil..Not much to dislike except they are not "traditional" looking which I think turns off some folks.

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    I carried one for 11 years but never truly appreciated it until I started to build my own. Its almost the do anything platform. I can mount a .22 on it. Along with the .223 or if I feel like something heavier 6.5, 6.8 .50 cal... You can mount any tacticool thing you can thing of on it or you can have a plain Jane. It comes in all colors from black to hello kitty pink. You can have a plinker or a sniper the choice is yours. But most of import of all its fun to shoot.

blackbird1988

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Richmond, KY
    They are the original " Black Gun"....They represent a piece of history as our military still uses them. They shoot great, feel good in your hands and they can provide awesome firepower if need be and can also go hunting in the woods. There are probably more after market custom parts available for them than anything else out there...so you can build it any way you like...and did I mention they are a blast to shoot? I bought my first one in 1983, when the only thing out there was a Colt SP1 with triangular handguards....no Aftermarket stuff...and had the bug ever since.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    AR LOVE

For me, it is LOVE... I have 26 year "relationship" with the AR, from 1977, with an A-1 type, to the Colt Match, I have owned, since 2004, I have more experience with this rifle, than ANY other weapon, except for my Ruger .22 Mark 1, and my Mossy .410..... for me LOVE .....:D

Top Bottom