• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PastorBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Wabash
    My local Dunhams gets guns in every Thursday. So since I was off yesterday I decided to swing by and see what had come in. Nothing much exciting, but they did have a 1928 hex receivered Izzy ex-dragoon with matching numbers, a good clear Soviet stamp, and it was only $79!

So last night when I had it stripped apart for cleaning I looked on the bottom of the receiver and saw that the date stamped on the barrel didn't match the receiver. The receiver was actually a 1918 with the full bow Izzy stamp!

Sure it's a frankengun, but there's a chance that it saw action in both WW1 and WW2! It's not quite as accurate as my '37 Tula, but it hit a torso target at 220yds every time we pulled the trigger using 40 year old spam can ammo. Not bad for a gun with a 93 year old receiver.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I never saw a double date stamp either....very interesting. I wouldn't call it a franken gun. A new rifle with a riddle to solve, can't ask for more than that!
    Congrats on the new Mosin at a great price.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Cool, at one time I was specifically looking for ex-dragoons built on earlier receivers. Seems that during that time frame, the Soviets were having problems finding skilled labor to make complete rifles at Izhevsk after literally massacring almost the entire workforce during a strike. So they did the next best thing and built using older receivers with new barrels.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Just got to say...Great Price!..I have a C&R and the best price I can get online is $89.95 plus shipping. Which would put it at about $105+
    As I search the internet most places are raising the price of Mosins. I have gotten them from AIM for $69.95 in the past, now they are 79.95 and that is for round receivers.

PastorBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Wabash
    Very damned cool if you ask me. Do they have another one at that price?

Not like this one. Dunhams puts them on sale about once a month. Was told that their supplier was out of them so they've been scouring the old USSR looking for more untouched crates.

On a side note, if you find one you like at Dunhams and it isn't on sale, you can put it on layaway and wait for the next sale and get them to drop the price for you.

Top Bottom