• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MAJB Retired

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    My son has begun expressing an interest in shooting, had has set his mind on a 22 bolt action for his first rifle. He's a poor college student, so what would you recommendations be for a nice, but inexpensive, bolt action. I've been looking at the Savage model Mark II-BV. I've read a couple nice reviews, but I'm wondering what else is out there for about the same price, less than $300. :dunno:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Love a .22 bolt!! :rockwoot: Fun gun and cheap to feed!

I have a Mossy 802 plinkster. They are usually around $120-$130 NIB. I got mine for $110 NIB on sale. It has done very well for me. Not the best out there, but I have had no problems of any kind with it and it is fairly accurate.

The Savage Mark series are nice rifles. Usually well priced and have several combo packages that include a scope as well. Sure the scope isn't the best, but it is enough to get you by and have fun.

I have also always been impressed with the Marlin rifles too, and they usually have a nice affordable price with them as well.

Good luck with your decision.

Truckie174

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Pendleton
    Both of my sons have savage mark II's. They are great, and very accurate right out of the box. Neither have had an issue with them.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    savage or cz 452/455. they are both top of the line guns for middle of the line prices. will they outshoot a anny? probably not but will they out shoot most shooters? yes

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Love a .22 bolt!! :rockwoot: Fun gun and cheap to feed!

I have a Mossy 802 plinkster. They are usually around $120-$130 NIB. I got mine for $110 NIB on sale. It has done very well for me. Not the best out there, but I have had no problems of any kind with it and it is fairly accurate.

The Savage Mark series are nice rifles. Usually well priced and have several combo packages that include a scope as well. Sure the scope isn't the best, but it is enough to get you by and have fun.

I have also always been impressed with the Marlin rifles too, and they usually have a nice affordable price with them as well.

Good luck with your decision.

I have one of them I gave 75 bucks for. I have probably had just as much fun shooting around with it as most my other guns. Pretty darn accurate also.

MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I picked up the Savage MKII GVXP = wood stock, heavy barrel and simmons scope package for $215 cash total (NIB) at the INDY 1500 gun show last spring. The dealer was from the Lafayette area. It has the accutrigger and 10 shot clip mag. Shoots CCI standard velocity very well = 5 shot groups can have less than 0.5" CTC spread at 50 yards (off a rest). You won't get the same results with bulk ammo. The CCI standard velocity is $25 for 500 rounds at Dicks.

The CZ 455 is a step up and will be closer to $400, certainly $450 by the time you add scope and rings.

The Marlin XT-22 is under $200 and looks like a nice rifle. Can get regular clip or tube mag plus comes with ProFire Trigger. My guess is it outshoots the Savage.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Do him and yourself a favor and locate an old Remington 510,511 ect. made 50 0r 60 or more years ago!If the bore is good,the accuracy will be excellent.It will have good sights and will continue to gain value.

Modhydro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Don't be afraid to look for old stuff

We have three old Marlin 80's between myself and two sons. They are 1950's to early 60's rifles and are very accurate. The price of them ranged from $50 to $120. They are not skinny little things like the newer 925, but solid, real sized guns. The bolts are smooth as silk, the triggers excellent (after some simple work) and as I stated before very accurate. You can get peep sights for them or mount a scope. Look around for any of the older bolts and I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

Modhydro

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    Okay so I've become an expert on new bolt action .22LR rifles under $200 in the last few months. A group of my buddies decided to have a competition on who could build the most accurate bolt action .22LR rifle for under $200 and under $100 in accessories/upgrades (including optics). We set up a 50 yard range with all kinds of odd ball targets and usually shoot "quiet ammo" like Remington CBees.

There are 5 of us that bought rifles in the last couple of months. Here's what everyone purchased:

1. Marlin XT-22 with wood stock mag fed (from cheaperthandirt) for $168
    2. Savage MKII wood stock no accutrigger (from Dick's) for $159.99
    3. Savage MKII FV-SR with accutrigger black plastic stock (from Bud's) for $225
    4. Savage MKII F with accutrigger with camo stock (from cheaperthandirt) for $189
    5. CZ-452 American with wood stock (from cheaperthandirt) for $350

So here are the results after multiple trips to the range with all of these rifles...

The CZ-452 is the best shooter and nicest gun. However, my buddy broke the $200 rule, so it shouldn't count.

At 50 yards all of them are very accurate and a blast to shoot. We all agree that the pro-fire trigger (marlin xt-22) and accutriggers are worth the extra money. The Dick's Savage MKII for $159 is a good deal, but the trigger needs some work.

We all agree that the Marlin XT-22 is the best shooter of the group (excluding the CZ) and the best deal for $168. The pro-fire adjustable trigger is fantastic (same as the Savage Accutrigger) and the fit and finish of the Marlin is noticeably better.

In all honesty, you can't go wrong with any of them. But if I had to buy one for under $200 it would be the Marlin. Unfortunately, the Marlin's are hard to find in stores and are usually marked up more than $200. CTD and other on-line shops have a variety of different models. They also sell the Marlin XT-22RZ with threaded barrel for the same price. The Marlin synthetic black stocks are way nicer than the Savage black stocks (really cheap looking). I would buy the tube fed version if I were you because they'll feed all kinds of 22 ammo.

Good luck and enjoy...

Oh, btw... the "quiet ammo" like Aguila Super Colibris, CB Longs and CBees are a lot of fun to shoot. We tested about 5 different types of "quiet ammo" and the Remington CBees consistently fed and shot the best. targetsportsusa had the best price on cases of the CBees FYI...

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Do him and yourself a favor and locate an old Remington 510,511 ect. made 50 0r 60 or more years ago!If the bore is good,the accuracy will be excellent.It will have good sights and will continue to gain value.

I went older with my choice when I picked up my .22lr bolt gun. I got a Remington 582. Apparently I got a fairly decent deal @ $125.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Find an old Marlin/Glenfield 25, and clean it up.
    Have to agree w/figley-mine will shoot dime sized groups at 50yds w/the right ammo,and a better marksman could do better! Paid $50 for it in the early 90's,added a simmons scope-taken a lot of squirrels, a few coons,and trained 4 kids,and several grandkids-still good as ever. Keeper!

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    I also agree as to the bolt action being accurate and fun to shoot. I have 2 model 46B Mossbergs that are same models but have quite a bit of differences. One is pre-war and other is about 1948. Both are very accurate and man-sized .22's. Also have an old Remington model 34. these have a unique action with a cartridge lifter. It is also quite accurate. Lastly is an Anchutz model 1422DCL. It is the most accurate sporter I have ever shot. There is a decent Leupold on it that makes accurate shooting a breeze.
    BTW--I have a Marlin model 881 Rifle for sale on Armslist. It is mint and has real walnut, factory sling studs and a rubber butt plate, not plastic. Has had less than 25 rounds through it and from the early 80's. Will take $150.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    If you aren't set on new, just check the used rack. I love old tube fed bolt .22s. I have a JC Higgins I picked up used years ago for $60 that I'll never let go.

Top Bottom