• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • polczym

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Central Michigan
    Given my age, position in life, and diminishing health, I have started on my 'bucket list' which evolves around my life-long passion towards Guns and shooting.
    What I don't have in my collection - yet - is an M1 Carbine. When I go to the gun shows, they want an 'arm and a leg' for them. I know what I want from a history perspective, but what I am wondering is if there is a modern-day version of this classic. I did a little research, and haven't found any manufacturers that make a spin-off of this rifle. Does anyone know of any? Thanks and Merry CHRISTmas !

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Given my age, position in life, and diminishing health, I have started on my 'bucket list' which evolves around my life-long passion towards Guns and shooting.
    What I don't have in my collection - yet - is an M1 Carbine. When I go to the gun shows, they want an 'arm and a leg' for them. I know what I want from a history perspective, but what I am wondering is if there is a modern-day version of this classic. I did a little research, and haven't found any manufacturers that make a spin-off of this rifle. Does anyone know of any? Thanks and Merry CHRISTmas !

Kahr Arms has one.

Like you, an M1 carbine is on my collection wish list too. I've thought about buying one of these Kahr's for some time now. They also offer the paratrooper model too. If you buy one, make sure to give us a range report!

Merry Christmas!

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    After a lot of casual searching,I finally got a nice USGI Inland built M1 carbine. Before that, I could only afford a used Universal brand M1 carbine. It functioned well, despite the bad rap they get sometimes, and gave me nearly the exact experience I feel when I shoot the Inland.
    Those post war used carbines are around, and while asking prices on the used market seem high, there is sometimes room for negotiation to a more acceptable price. Good luck with your search!

And welcome to INGO :ingo:

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I like the new Kahr M1 Carbines and would like to own one. That paratrooper reproduction is cool, and definitely more affordable than a true USGI paratrooper.
    I know the USGI carbines are getting high $$, but remember why. They just arent making them anymore and the guns are nice history. If you take your time and do some research you will find a good one. My gun show find Postal Meter was around $600 after some bargaining and it isnt worn out, shoots great.
    Good luck and let us know what you get!

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Polczym,

Try a little drive to the CMP store in Ohio:

CMP Stores

While I have never been myself I have heard excellent things about the store. They have a large selection at extremely reasonable price from what I have heard.

Understand that most of their selection is Garands, M1903s and M1 Carbines. They do not have a wide variety of other firearms, basically focused on American military weapons.

Good luck.

Regards,

Doug

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Polczym,

CMP Stores

While I have never been myself I have heard excellent things about the store. They have a large selection at extremely reasonable price from what I have heard.

Understand that most of their selection is Garands, M1903s and M1 Carbines. They do not have a wide variety of other firearms, basically focused on American military weapons.

Good luck.

Regards,

Doug

This is a great place but remember, the CMP does not sell to the general public at large. There are eligibility requirements that must be met to purchase from them. Example, member of a CMP affiliated club, participant in NRA sanctioned macthes, etc...

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Polczym,

CMP Stores

Good luck.

Regards,

Doug

When I was there this summer they had no Carbines. According to their website they have no more Carbines. It is my understanding Hillarious and Barry won't allow the reimportation of some 80 thousand back into the Country. This is part of the higher cost IMHO.

Good luck in your search. The Carbine is also on my list to aquire.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Prices on the M1 carbine are what they are because of supply and demand. As dak109 stated, there are no more being reimported back to the U.S., so what is out there in the hands of private citizens is all there is. CMP has no more and has not had them available for about a year.

Prices are crazy! Look on GunBroker if you don't believe me. Some show up at other sources but are quickly snapped up by collectors and investors or are so overpriced that they remain unpurchased.

I have a small collection ranging from a "correct" Inland, a "correct" IBM and a "correct" RockOla down to a couple of (what they call) "mixmasters". If I were to sell them, they would range from (maybe) $1500 down to (maybe) $750.

I got my first a number of years ago for less than $450. Supply and demand... That's economics!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    When I was there this summer they had no Carbines. According to their website they have no more Carbines. It is my understanding Hillarious and Barry won't allow the reimportation of some 80 thousand back into the Country. This is part of the higher cost IMHO.

+ 1, same thoughts here.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    This is a great place but remember, the CMP does not sell to the general public at large. There are eligibility requirements that must be met to purchase from them. Example, member of a CMP affiliated club, participant in NRA sanctioned macthes, etc...

As others have said, CMP is out an will never get anymore.

Anyone here on INGO can probably pick up a Garand no problem, requirements are so easy. 1. Birth Certificate 2. LTCH (comes in handy as one of the req.) 3. 24.00 membership with GCA that you can purchase at the store. These 3 things an my DL an I was walking out with a couple WWII M1 Garands.

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana

Yep he's right:
    The Obama administration approved the sale of the American-made rifles last year(2009)( the Bush administration had already approved it earlier). But the Obama admin. reversed course and banned the sale in March(2010). A State Department spokesman said the administration’s decision was based on concerns that the guns could fall into the wrong hands. “The transfer of such a large number of weapons — 87,310 M1 Garands and 770,160 M1 Carbines — could potentially be exploited by individuals seeking firearms for illicit purposes!!!:wallbash::wallbash: WHAT A CROCK!!!!!:xmad:

See!!! It's all your fault America...all your hands are WRONG and illicit!!!:)
    I'm lucky I have two carbines...wish I had enough foresight to have bought a few more. Great little firearms.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I got a Universal M1 carbine from my wife's father-in-law, and except for an extractor which broke (I replaced it with a USGI extractor), it functions flawlessly. It's a fun little gun to shoot. You can get them from Gunbroker for somewhere in the neighborhood of $400. I wouldn't buy one at that price if CMP still had carbines, but compared to the gunshow pricing for USGI's of $900-ish, it's a good deal.

coolatula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    I don't know if anyone has said this one yet, but Iver Johnson also makes a 'replica' M1.

I had a Iver Johnson many moons ago and it never ran well when I first got it. Here's the deal it started slam firing periodically. It might run 90% of time like it was supposed to which is semi-auto. Then other times it might shoot doubles,tripples or just dump the whole mag !

Well when I got time to mess with it and tore it down I found that the counter weight on the bolt was rivitted on with two looked like brass rivets and the whole weight was wobbled around. instead of trying to rivet back on tight again I just had a buddy weld it to the bolt handle.

After reassembly the rifle worked just like it should and was actually a pretty fun plinker. It would have made for a nice little truck gun or home protection as it was more fire power than some pistol.

At close range the .30 cal carbine round is no joke. I could never find that cartridge with hollow point bullets. I could see that as a formidable CQB rifle/cartridge package with hollow points.

So if you opt for a Iver open it up and make sure it has a one peice hanle-bolt or if it's two piece like mine was make sure to have it welded just for peace of mind. Would be kinda scary to hear POP...POP...POPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOP! :ar15:

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I had a Iver Johnson many moons ago and it never ran well when I first got it. Here's the deal it started slam firing periodically. It might run 90% of time like it was supposed to which is semi-auto. Then other times it might shoot doubles,tripples or just dump the whole mag !

Well when I got time to mess with it and tore it down I found that the counter weight on the bolt was rivitted on with two looked like brass rivets and the whole weight was wobbled around. instead of trying to rivet back on tight again I just had a buddy weld it to the bolt handle.

After reassembly the rifle worked just like it should and was actually a pretty fun plinker. It would have made for a nice little truck gun or home protection as it was more fire power than some pistol.

At close range the .30 cal carbine round is no joke. I could never find that cartridge with hollow point bullets. I could see that as a formidable CQB rifle/cartridge package with hollow points.

So if you opt for a Iver open it up and make sure it has a one peice hanle-bolt or if it's two piece like mine was make sure to have it welded just for peace of mind. Would be kinda scary to hear POP...POP...POPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOP! :ar15:

They make .30 carbine in HP, here's a link:
    30 CARBINE : Ammunition To Go

I haven't ran any of this ammo through any of my Carbines (I've got a Quality Hardware, a Rock-Ola, and an Inland) though, so I can't offer any personal experience.

While I've never shot anything living with it, I have settled on 110gr. soft point rounds as a "defensive" round and my Carbines shoot it just fine.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    cmp has been out of their "normal" m1 carbine for around a year now. the only ones they do sell go through their online auction and they are the rare high dollar ones that they have been holding onto because they are worth more. These are the super nice ones, or original paratroopers that go for $1500 and up usually. Hell, its been a while since I looked so they may be sold out of those.

Top Bottom