• ...and so much more!
  • Sacrifice_Me

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    1181.jpg

So, after seeing my son pick up every stick in the woods that resembled a gun and create these amazing adventures in his head, I decided to get him his own rifle. I bought the Ruger 10/22 based on a friend's good advice and knowledge of the gun and because of the small caliber.

With my son's fantasies of running though the woods and shooting zombies, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to introduce to him the use of a real rifle. He is 6 years old right now and extremely smart and well mannered. I don't have any issues with him in regards to discipline and would very much like to take him to shooting events with me. I have never had an issues with him wanting to touch my gun or anyone else's. I would like for this to develop into a life long love and understanding of what "guns" stand for in regards to freedom and being American.

I have plenty land to set up targets against a treeline or would it be best to start him off in an actual indoor shooting range.

Any tips or suggestions are much appreciated.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Targets

I think the most important thing is to be sure he has two things. Fun and success. Start him out on targets that will not discourage him. Some kind, any kind, of reactive target at a distance that will be easy for him to hit will be good. Tin cans, clay pigeons, water balloons, and eggs come to mind. When he gets good enough, empty shotgun hulls are fun to chase around. Paint balls are a lot more challenging but fun to splatter. Of course, I'm talking outdoors.

Good on ya'! :D

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to introduce to him the use of a real rifle. He is 6 years old right now and extremely smart and well mannered. I don't have any issues with him in regards to discipline and would very much like to take him to shooting events with me. I have never had an issues with him wanting to touch my gun or anyone else's. I would like for this to develop into a life long love and understanding of what "guns" stand for in regards to freedom and being American.

this comment says appleseed 100 percent a thousand times over.

take him to an appleseed now and he will learn about freedoms, being an american, what guns stand for, as well as how to use the gun safely.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Start him off with basic gun safety. This should be hammered at every possible chance. I even teach my boys (age 6 and 7) safety with their toy guns. He may be too young to know what firearms freedoms actually mean, but you can slowly introduce him to them. At his age, I would suggest you just set up some targets and let him have some fun. My 6 year old doesn't hardly even use the sights. He just lets 'em rip, while sporting the biggest smile you ever saw. Familiarity, and practice are the key at his age. All while enforcing proper gun safety. He is even safer with a firearm than some of the morons I have seen at the gun shop. But that's not saying much.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    My son is about to turn 6 and he has been shoting for about 5-6 months or so now. We started off with Eddy Eagle and learning the 4 rules, before he ever even touched a real rifle. Once I was confident that he could handle it we went to the farm to learn to shoot. He took to it pretty well. I think reactive targets at a resonable distance is key.

Here are a couple of other threads on the topic:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...4-need_some_input_for_teaching_youngster.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...do_you_start_teaching_your_kids_to_shoot.html

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I got my 10/22 for Christmas in 1976,its still one rifle I wouldnt part with simply because my dad got it for me( I know it was from both parents but I know who had to talk mom into it). I still say it was the best thing that my parents ever gave me.Great choice by the way

harmonn@att.net

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    Gun safety is the first on my list, then fun. Six years old is not too young for the youth shooting sports school they must attend anyways these days.

Good luck, and have fun!

Best Regards,

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    awesome, good on you. i know that you will get him trained well (Safety 1st!). 1st the 4 rules of gun safety. Then the 4 rules of gun safety. After that the 4 rules of gun safety. And when he's got those down, be sure to review the 4 rules of gun safety.

The Appleseed Project by Massad Ayoob Issue #123
    (An excerpt from Massad Ayoob article)Four rules of safety
    Appleseed pounds on four rules of safety that they want every participant not only to be able to repeat on demand, but to follow rigorously.

1. Always keep the rifle's muzzle in a safe direction. This might be the designated backstop, usually an earthen berm. It might be skyward. It might be muzzle down, but in that instance it will be pointed at dirt, not concrete which can send shrapnel in all directions if struck by a bullet.

2. Do not load until command. Appleseed is a "cold range," in which the firearms are always unloaded until the command to load and make ready to fire is given. ...

3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target. Violation of this simple maxim probably causes more tragic gun accidents than any other safety transgression. Quite simply, the finger should be outside the trigger guard unless and until you are in the very act of intentionally firing a gunshot.

4. Make sure all of those around you follow the safety rules. Your own perfect adherence to safety rules won't save you if some careless clown or foolish show-off crosses you with the muzzle of his gun. At an Appleseed shoot, everyone shares responsibility for safety.

Now, to this old shooter, "the four rules" have long been those of Jeff Cooper, who quantified them as:

(1) Treat every firearm as if it is loaded;
    (2) never allow the muzzle to point at anything you are not prepared to destroy;
    (3) keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target (same as Appleseed); and
    (4) be certain of your target and what is behind it before you pull the trigger.

When asked to recite "the four rules," I almost had a cognitive dissonance attack trying to utter Appleseed's instead of Cooper's. Well, "when in Rome." The easiest thing, and probably the best thing, is to follow Appleseed's four safety rules and Col. Cooper's four.

I'm by no means an expert, however i believe Mr. Ayoob is. I can verify what he says about Appleseed from my experience there. I also believe that Mr. Cooper's rules are indispensable My keen interest in this post is that the safety of your child is foremost. I have two little girls that are precious to me. I'm sure your son is every bit as precious to you, and i'm certain that you have thought very hard about the safety issues.

sorry for coming off like i think i know something. i don't. Our children are precious to us and wanted to be sure that someone on this forum cited the rules and emphasized their importance in this thread.

Now go have some fun!

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Agreed

10/22 may be too long an LOP and too heavy at 6.

I believe that weight and short LOP are the two most important criteria in selecting guns for kids.

There is a youth model available. You can often find youth stocks for sale cheap on rimfire central or Gunbroker. I believe Hogue makes a youth stock as well. Change back when he outgrows the shorter LOP.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Can I call you dad?

I'm sure you could call her whatever you want, weather she responds to that is on her. LOL

I took my first shots with a ruger single-six. "My" first gun was a ruger 22/45 that my Dad let me keep and maintain. I learned the pistol stuff first, I don't know why, I guess I took to that better.

I will always remember being amazed at how a .22lr can tear up a pop can, and then watching the empty yellow plastic CCI container exploding on the first round. After we ran out of target we started shooting down into a creek and plugging the leaves as they drifted down stream after a few shots I got pretty good...

Good times...

I think I'm going to go call my Dad.

Sacrifice_Me

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Thank you everyone very much for all the great advice. Of coarse gun safety is the foremost important issue here and I will make sure that is instilled into him before he ever puts a finger on the trigger.

I have read a few articles from Mr. Ayoob and found his viewpoint very informative.

I am very much looking forward to Christmas morning with my son and will probably post pictures for everyone else to see.

Thank you again.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Unfortunatly he'd have to be 8 to shoot here at Kodiak. If you have land you or someone you trust to show him the ropes. The safety rules don't change indoors or out.:ingo:

Top Bottom