• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D ReedSniper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Dear INGO, these are my current guns I am longing for. I would like both but can afford only one.

On either rifle, I would like to mount a scope along with still having the use of iron sights. On the M&P, I would like to remove the rear sight and mount an A2 carry handle with sight, if that is possible, along with a rail on top for a scope. On an AK, I have heard that most scope mounts say they will allow iron sights but cover them up, is that true? Also, would like to put a bipod on either selection, and maybe, just maybe, a vertical foregrip.

Which rifle would be easiest to add these mods and still maintain a clear sight picture with iron along with easy access to the charging handle?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Which rifle would be easiest to add these mods and still maintain a clear sight picture with iron along with easy access to the charging handle?

AR-- by FAR.

The fact that you're looking at .22 versions of these platforms further solidifies my opinion on the matter.

I would also recommend getting a flip-up rear sight to go along with your scope, rather than mounting a scope to a carry handle.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I too would have to say AR.

I like both and actually prefer the AK over the AR platform. But for .22lr I like the options for the AR better. I haven't been very impressed with any of the AK .22s I have seen. I think you would be pleased with the m&p15 - 22 that you mentioned.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    AR-- by FAR.

The fact that you're looking at .22 versions of these platforms further solidifies my opinion on the matter.

I would also recommend getting a flip-up rear sight to go along with your scope, rather than mounting a scope to a carry handle.

exactly this,

D ReedSniper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    I too would have to say AR.

I like both and actually prefer the AK over the AR platform. But for .22lr I like the options for the AR better. I haven't been very impressed with any of the AK .22s I have seen. I think you would be pleased with the m&p15 - 22 that you mentioned.

For performance, the AR would be better. But I am comparing it to a .22 AK I had earlier this year which I sold. The AK can handle much more dirt and crap compared to the AR right? The AK I had, I didn't clean it for the first few weeks of owning and it fired flawlessly.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I would also go AR.

The .22 AKs out there are really lacking IMO.

NOW, ask me this question again in 6 months, and I might have a different answer if some of the vendors out there get their approval to bring in a Saiga/Izhmash .22 AK ;)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm also considering an M&P15-22, but that's mostly so I can put a slide fire stock on it. It's not going to happen any time soon for me, but when it does, it'll be awesome.

jason conley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    WEST SIDE OF INDY
    I had a .22 ak, notice I said had, it was a real piece of s@#$. M&P is too light for me would rather have a normal AR in .22 but they are good guns, come with barrel threaded for suppressor and are very good reliable guns.

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    Does the .22 generate enough recoil to "bumpfire" the stock?

I wouldnt think so, but I would love to know the answer to this, with a video showing it....where could I find something like that?? :dunno:

OH!!! off to the land of youtube.

EDIT: Youtube land says YES YOU CAN

jeepville

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    New Castle
    I couldn't get my ar with a 22 conversion in it to bump fire using the slide fire. Would love to know how would be cheaper. I heard someone mention a dedicated upper could do it but don't have any proof or see how hat would help.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    AR-- by FAR.

I'd agree with this. Actually, just pick up the 15-22 MOE version and the flip up front and rears come with it, and you get the added benefit of the MOE grip and the MOE stock, along with a rear QD mount integrated into the receiver.

I can't see mounting a carry handle on the 15-22, but that's me.

I picked up the MOE and added a Primary Arms M3 red dot with a cantilever mount for lower 1/3 co-witness with the MagPul BUS.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    AR-- by FAR.

exactly. i have a 1-4 pst on my mp 15-22. it has a 1-4 vortex pst. if i wanted i could use the irons on 1x but i dont see the need

D ReedSniper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Both have their unique set of "cool" factors, in my opinion. I like the AR because of the modern look along with a vast array of customizations available. And the AK is seen as a symbol of badassery and, terrorism... But it is still a nice rifle. I've held both, but prices are my main concern. I also want to help out my local gun shop, but if I order a rifle online and pay transfer fees, it is still much cheaper than buying from the store and paying sales taxes. :dunno:

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've heard and read that you need to but a modified trigger set in the dedicated 22-AR's to make the slide fire work.

I don't have first hand experience but I'd be interested to know.

Edited: watched the video and he admitted he changed the trigger group as well. Probably a good "investment" considering the cost of going full auto is very prohibitive for me, but this would be pretty darn cool and fun.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom