• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    Sorry couldn't make the title purple. Just read this in the classifieds on Hoosier Topics. Thought you guys might get a kick out of it.

I want to know why everybody thinks they can get $1000 or more out of their ARs. You can buy brand new dpms ars for 650 to 700 and add accessories and still have less than that in it and it is all brand new!!! All AR lowers are built with the same program on a cnc machine!! Name brand don't really matter, they are all the same with a different lable!! As far as the uppers go, sure price varyies a little, but not that much!! People need to get real!! Used ARs should sell for 600 or less!!

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Sadly there are people on this board who believe that. Fanboyism is like religion, any evidence to the contrary just causes the person to doubledown and harden their resolve.

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    I am one of those people.

Either the rifle is accurate & reliable or it isn't, IMHO it really doesn't matter what brand-name is roll-marked on it.

The thing you need to keep in mind is those name brands are accurate and reliable everytime. Yes you may pick up a drop dead AR for under $600, but I know when I pay the $$$ that I can expect it from the companies like spikes, BCM, Noveske, etc.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Brand A being more or less accurate and reliable than Brand B is a debatable matter. "They are all the same with a different label" is plainly incorrect.

Although I would agree that for most of the people buying them all ARs will function equally. Goods sitting idle seldom reveal their flaws.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    The thing you need to keep in mind is those name brands are accurate and reliable everytime. Yes you may pick up a drop dead AR for under $600, but I know when I pay the $$$ that I can expect it from the companies like spikes, BCM, Noveske, etc.

Meh, AR's are "by design" generally both accurate & reliable.

Sort of like with 1911's.

Rock Island Armory 1911's can & do shoot just as good as Colt, Wilson or XYorZ.

At least that has been my experience with both AR & 1911 platform clones.

There are exceptions of course, but I am talking about mid-tier & up, not manufacturers who use really shoddy machining & have drunken monkeys assembling their products.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You definitely get what you pay for...

I know that when I pick up a Top Shelf AR that if my life depends on its function that it will. I do not have the same faith in several of the bottom shelf Manufacturers.

If your life depends on something for its mechanical abilities, do not be a Midas and scrimp on the Lowest Priced Items...

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    My only beef with the whole AR thing is, I'd guess about 98% or higher of AR owners are NOT military, NOT LEO, or NOT providing protection to anyone. Therefore the "my life depending on my "top Tier" AR is a pointless discussion. It's fine if you want a reliable high priced AR but don't make the argument your life depends on it. Because most AR owners lives don't.

Seems now the "new" thing is shooting an AR for millions of rounds and bragging it has never been cleaned. So what? All this Mil Spec stuff... I really don't believe anyone in the military treats their weapon that way. So why has it become the new "hip" bragging rights thing now? The people that taught me how to use a firearm when I was young would beat me silly if I treated a weapon that way.

I just think some of the top tier fanboys need to get a grip on reality sometimes.

:twocents: Carry on....:yesway:

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    Buy what you like but don't rant about what i am selling. Move on.

I will pay more for a few things, reliability, accuracy and ergonomics. All things that make for a better rifle for me. If you don't appreciate these things again, move on.

My life doesn't depend on my ar or training, but some day it may.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Buy what you like but don't rant about what i am selling. Move on.

I will pay more for a few things, reliability, accuracy and ergonomics. All things that make for a better rifle for me. If you don't appreciate these things again, move on.

My life doesn't depend on my ar or training, but some day it may.

Agree ^^^ .... save the rant. This way both sides can walk away snickering under their breath at the other guy.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Average gun owner : "My gun is reliable. It aint never missed a lick."
    Famous internet guy on the place with The Chart : "Round count!!!!!??"

Alot of people buy what they can afford.
    At the same time many people pay too much for a lesser gun and could've got more bang for their buck if they'd have done some research then shopped around and/or saved up just a little more.

I honestly believe that a Colt, LMT ect is a better gun that will be reliable longer, and under more adverse conditions and under heavy use than a Oly, DPMS ect.
    With that said, buy what you want. It's your gun and if you're happy then it's all good. Just keep track of your round count ha ha.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Round per round my Colt and the Smith&Wesson build up I have will run longer with less hic-ups than the DPMS I let my son in law use. I spend more time getting it back up and running than any other AR based variant we shoot. We track the rounds fired. I agree with the statement, buy what you can afford. Take a few apart and check the fit and finish. There are differences.
    Love the drunken Monkey comment.

Gunner52

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Is DPMS an unreliable, lesser firearm? I was just wondering. My wife has one and it is a sub minute rifle that has never failed to fire, ever @ under $650. I would not buy an overpriced Colt, my buddy sold his because it was not accurate. But I can and would have a M&P15 for $795. I think Bushmaster @ $835 is an over priced firearm from what I have seen they have a substandard finish and (from experience), inaccurate. I have a CMMG that is reliable as the day is long and Melanite treated for longevity but it is only accurate enough for home defense in my opinion but I would bet my life on it for $775. I never buy a firearm because the crowd says so or to be cool. It boils down to function, reliability, and value. Just because it don't cost an arm and a leg don't mean it is junk and I do not say that because I can not afford it. My long range rifle cost over $3000 but you can own one that is just as accurate for half that.
    Merry Christmas all,
    Gunner

Top Bottom