• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dashby115

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Greenwood
    Going to purchace a lever gun to deer hunt with next year..any suggestions on best caliber..have a 45lc and .357 wheel guns.thinking about one of those if it would be effective?

twisyblackmetal

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2010
    I think that a long gun in either of those calibers would be fine for deer. I have a Rossi 24" in .357 that I plan on using on some Bambi busting next season.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've got the Marlin 1894 (out of production) in .44mag.
    Took a 6 pointer with it this year.
    My brother has the same gun and he took a doe AND a 10 point buck in 45 seconds. Boom, lever Boom. It's JUST that easy :rolleyes:

Seriously Rossi and Puma both make fine lever-guns in .357mag, .44mag, 45Colt, even .454 Casull. Any would be perfectly suitable for taking deer at 100 yards or less, without much effort on your part.

Properly glassed, with good ammuntion, (I like Hornady's "LeveRevolution") you can stretch that out to 150 yards or maybe even a little better.

Most all of my shots are less than 50 yards. My 6 pointer was taken at about 25 yards. My first buck was so close when I hit him with a 12ga. slug, I dug the wad out of his shoulder, still attatched to the slug! Straight shot down, out of a 15' tree stand. Damned near broke my arm because I was so far out of position that the stock was laying on my bicep when I pulled the trigger. I was so excited about getting my first buck I didn't notice the soreness. When I got home and tore off my hunting garb I found half my arm was purple from bruising!

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I went with a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag this year... absolutely love it.

I've got an 8 point buck at the taxidermist that I took at 80 yards with iron sights at dusk that says the 1894 works pretty well!

My intention of going back to a shotgun for deer in Indiana is about.... ZERO.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I've taken deer with my 1894c (357) and 1894ss (44). Good rounds in either of these platforms will work nicely. Any way you go, go Marlin (pre-Remington).

Edit: Don't know how comfortable you are with your revolvers, but if they are 4" or better you've already got a deer platform. Handgun hunting is different and not for everyone though:twocents:

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    First choice should be a Marlin in 45LC then a Marlin in 357 that way they will match up with your handguns you already have.

dashby115

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Greenwood
    have never thought about hunting with a pistol...have a ruger .45 lc vaquero and a .357 convertible blackhawk..they may both be in the woods next year!! can't wait

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    have never thought about hunting with a pistol...have a ruger .45 lc vaquero and a .357 convertible blackhawk..they may both be in the woods next year!! can't wait

Both of those are deer legal in Indiana, provided it has a barrel of 4" or longer. Either will take a whitetail nicely.

I've dropped several deer with a Taurus .357mag 4" ported barrel.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have taken deer with a .357 magnum revolver and in a Puma lever rifle too. My son has taken a nice buck with his Puma lever rifle in 45LC also. Any three of the calibers that mentioned : 44mag, 357 mag and 45 LC are good rounds for deer in Indiana. Between myself and my son we have taken with the two lightest of the three, the 44 magnum is clearly the ballistic superior and you can't go wrong with it either.

Merry Christmas,

Terry

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I've got the Marlin 1894 (out of production) in .44mag.
    Took a 6 pointer with it this year.
    My brother has the same gun and he took a doe AND a 10 point buck in 45 seconds. Boom, lever Boom. It's JUST that easy :rolleyes:

Seriously Rossi and Puma both make fine lever-guns in .357mag, .44mag, 45Colt, even .454 Casull. Any would be perfectly suitable for taking deer at 100 yards or less, without much effort on your part.

Properly glassed, with good ammuntion, (I like Hornady's "LeveRevolution") you can stretch that out to 150 yards or maybe even a little better.

Most all of my shots are less than 50 yards. My 6 pointer was taken at about 25 yards. My first buck was so close when I hit him with a 12ga. slug, I dug the wad out of his shoulder, still attatched to the slug! Straight shot down, out of a 15' tree stand. Damned near broke my arm because I was so far out of position that the stock was laying on my bicep when I pulled the trigger. I was so excited about getting my first buck I didn't notice the soreness. When I got home and tore off my hunting garb I found half my arm was purple from bruising!

The Marlin 1894 in 44 mag is out of production?

Did I miss something?

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    The way I understand it, ALL 1894 models are out of production. All calibers.

Wow.. I had no idea. I wonder why. The 1894 is one of my favorite lever actions and seems to enjoy a strong popularity among shooters.

Looks like I will be hitting the market for another use one before too long.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Wow.. I had no idea. I wonder why. The 1894 is one of my favorite lever actions and seems to enjoy a strong popularity among shooters.

Looks like I will be hitting the market for another use one before too long.

I bought mine about three years ago. Shorly thereafter Marlin sold out to the same company that owns Puma.

When I bought my Marlin 1894 I paid about $500 for it. Now if you can find one new in the box they are going for closer to $700.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I bought mine about three years ago. Shorly thereafter Marlin sold out to the same company that owns Puma.

When I bought my Marlin 1894 I paid about $500 for it. Now if you can find one new in the box they are going for closer to $700.

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm good with used as long as they are in good condition.

I was starting to look for a Remington 700 in .308, but I might look for another 1894 first...

Hate to see the 1894 out of production. It's an outstanding rifle.

soupy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Elkhart Co.
    At the last Shipshewana gun show I was at, there were a number of nice used winchester 94's in pistol calibers. For $500 to $600. I would choose one of those over a marlin or rossi. Just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom