• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    So I'm wanting to Thread my barrel on My WASR 2. AK74. I have a few questions before I do this. Does anyone have the tools that they could rent to me before I go buying everything I need. And which spring detent and plunger do I use. There is a lot of choices on K-var.com on springs/plungers.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    I have a couple sets. I would sell you one cheap. It would include the die, TAT, and die handle for $45 + shipping. I believe most detents and detent springs should fit assuming you're threading 14x1 LH thread.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    defintally get it profesionally threaded. if you dont get your threads perfectally straight you will get baffle strikes wich is a very very bad thing.

i do my own threading but i also use a lathe thats thousands of dollars

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I must have missed the part where the OP wanted to mount a suppressor.
    If your not going to mount a can the kit will work just fine.

i guess i just like to do thing in a manner that i know i have the most options for future use. even flash hiders and brakes you can get strikes that cause a dangerious situation. indygunworks did a class in pennsylvania that he got hit with bullet frags from the guy beside him do to this exact issue

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Threading is probably worth the extra $ to have it done by a smith. Even if its off just a little bit could end in a bad result. better safe than sorry.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I threaded an AR barrel once, but just for a flash suppressor, and on a proper lathe. I can do whatever pitch and diameter, but I'm not doin it for anyone. No liability for me.

Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    I don't blame anyone actually on not doing it for someone. It's understandable since I'm hearing stories of bullet fragments hitting people. Def not a good thing.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I wouldn't thread my own barrel, or anyone else's, for suppressor use. But I (obviously) don't have a problem with people threading their own barrels for flash hiders or brakes. Actually, if someone wanted to thread their own barrel for a suppressor, that's fine with me too. Would I want to be the person who test fires it? Not really, but the same precautions should be taken no matter who/how the barrel was threaded. I'll accept the risk for my own actions. IMO, having a 3rd party do it doesn't do anything other than give you someone else to blame. And that's why it costs more. Certainly a person who does it for a living with the proper tools has a MUCH better chance to get it right the first time, but no one is infallible. I sometimes change my own oil, too. :D

Top Bottom