• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I would like to think that I am more of a purist when it comes to the SKS. I have several, and they are all original. Well I came across an sks that I thought would enjoy a new life. It came wearing “tactical” gear: Choate folding stock, brass deflector, muzzle break, rear housing/dust cover a rail, and of course was missing the original magazine. None of the numbers matched either.

On the way to its new home, there was a terrible crash…

200.jpg

I can rebuild it. I have the technology. I have the capability to make the world’s first bionic SKS. This Norinco will be that sks. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.

This weapon could be bionic: better, stronger, and faster than any sks. The bionic man had bionic implants to enhance strength, speed, and vision and appeared to be human. Well my SKS could do that too.

Too address the speed issue; the scientist went to the drawing board on how to make the sks run faster. The standard, metal 10 round internal magazine was reliable, but not fast enough. A 20 round magazine would be an improvement, but would it be reliable and could they be loaded quickly?

The next question, how to keep the sks look and not a bubba mess? Wood is not a bionic material, so wood is out of the question. The tactical tapco look will give away the secret bionic powers. There had to be an original appearing stock, but with bionic capabilities. The sks also needed another upgrade beside the stock, to meet 922r compliance.

Sight was the final aspect that needed to be upgraded. A scope would be a dead give away of the bionic upgrade and the SKS would be noticed from several firing lanes away. The standard sight radius was too short. Again, there had to be a possible bionic upgrade.

Sorry for the crappy pics, these pictures are from my iPad.

IMG_0023.jpg

To run, I purchased a G3/1 Sks magazine adapter. It fits on the inside of an sks stock, with very minor internal modifications, which are unnoticeable from the outside. The Tapco magazine also requires slight modifications. The duckbill is essentially removed allowing the magazines to be stored in a normal magazine pouch. So, the SKS is now faster in magazine changes, as well as, an increase in magazine capacity, from 10 rounds to 20 rounds. Home - TheSKSmagAdapter

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

The next question was changing the stock from a tactical stock to an original appearing non-wooden stock. The fiberglass jungle stock is a good cross between the Tapco and original wood. I also chose to upgrade the gas tube handguard from a plastic/wooden handguard, to the tough cheesegrader, which also helped to maintain 922r. So now she looks original with the jungle stock but has a subtle change with a new handguard. The bayonet helps to keep the original look as well.

IMG_0024.jpg

The final upgrade was upgrading the sights. Technology has changed since the sks was born. The Tech-Sights give a much longer sight radius and barely changes the original appearance. I loved shooting with them, and the first shots were right on the money! BIONIC Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories

IMG_0026.jpg

Unfortunately almost everything on this build had to be “gunsmithed.” It was fun, but this was not a drop in build. The magazines have to be trimmed. This was the easiest part, taking less than 10 minutes for both magazines. Cutting out the take down latch was easy with the Dremel. The Jungle stock did not fit quite right so, so it was a lot of sanding reinstalling and sanding again. Also, the crossbolt has to be removed to install the duckbillless magazine adapter. I am going to blame the Jungle stock, but it did not line up. So I had to waller out the hole and then use a filler to make it look nice. Painting wasn’t too bad, there was a strange color stain on the fiberglass that I had to cover up.

It shot amazing. I was shooting at a bobcat steel jack and at about 75 yards and hit it on the first shot. No need to zero! Only had time for 80 rounds, but she ran like a camp.

I tried to keep the original aspects of the SKS intact. I have a SKS-M and an AK, I just wanted something that was different and mine. I had a week off from work and thought it would be fun. What think you INGO? Is it Bionic?

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    very nice, hmmm.... may have to re-do my SKS I love shooting it, but finding a reliable detachable mag is a PITA...didn't know these mag adapters existed...damn, more :spend: this will distract me from my other addictions and my budding relationship with NFA items....

fenderpbass

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Evansville
    Nice SKS you have there. I have seen several videos on Youtube about converting Tapco mags to fit the new SKS adapter. Been wanting to do that for some time now.

Top Bottom