• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm In the AR market and have shopped off the shelf stuff like at Elmore's but got a great price quote from L&E with a Rock River Receiver. Would anyone have any reservations about letting them build a gun for you? Thanks in advance.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Ditto...have you looked at all the video on Youtube or have a buddy that can help? They are not that hard and you learn all you need to know about maintaining and upgrading

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    How much cash outlay do you think i would be looking at to build one and would the end product be reliable if i did it right? (Heck i don't even know what that means..LOL..I'm smart, have always been able to self educate myself. Regarding cars, i can't rebuild an engine but i can identify a bad part, pull it off and replace it. AS for L&E, it's Law Enforcement Guns on the south side by Garfield Park. Owned by and IMPD officer named Micah.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    How much cash outlay do you think i would be looking at to build one and would the end product be reliable if i did it right? (Heck i don't even know what that means..LOL..I'm smart, have always been able to self educate myself. Regarding cars, i can't rebuild an engine but i can identify a bad part, pull it off and replace it. AS for L&E, it's Law Enforcement Guns on the south side by Garfield Park. Owned by and IMPD officer named Micah.

You can buy a Palmetto State Armory lower when they're on sale for $49.99+$7 for shipping. You'll have a transfer fee. You can buy a rifle build kit for $489 if you want the absolute cheapest + shipping (no transfer as it goes straight to you). You'll have to pick up a rear backup sight and magazines.

That would give you a better AR than a DPMS for a very reasonable price.

PSA AR15 Lower
    Palmetto State Armory 16" M4 Rifle Kit

The build kit is an M4 kit with a quality barrel, chrome lined 4150 steel. You can spend more on a rifle kit if you want MOE furniture or a hammer forged.

The link posted earlier is for the PSA M4A1 that is pretty much the parts that I've linked. The complete rifle does give the option for the MOE furniture, where the kit in mine doesn't.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    You can buy a Palmetto State Armory lower when they're on sale for $49.99+$7 for shipping. You'll have a transfer fee. You can buy a rifle build kit for $489 if you want the absolute cheapest + shipping (no transfer as it goes straight to you). You'll have to pick up a rear backup sight and magazines.

PSA AR15 Lower

The build kit is an M4 kit with a quality barrel, chrome lined 4150 steel. You can spend more on a rifle kit if you want MOE furniture or a hammer forged.

The link posted earlier is for the PSA M4A1 that is pretty much the parts that I've linked. The complete rifle does give the option for the MOE furniture, where the kit in mine doesn't.

Those are some of, if not the best deals going IMO. Top notch stuff too. I am getting ready to spring for one of their 20 inch kits for a A4 build.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I'm planning on a 16" kit and then I'm doing a bit of research for a 6.5 Grendel build. If PSA offered those, I'd be more than happy to go that route.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indianapolis

PSA AR15 Lower

The link posted earlier is for the PSA M4A1 that is pretty much the parts that I've linked. The complete rifle does give the option for the MOE furniture, where the kit in mine doesn't.[/QUOTE

Thank you for the thoughtful response...Schoolboy question, What is MOE furniture? Also what skills are needed to do your own build? I'm not a smith and really have no machining capability. Assuming that no machining or professional smithing is necessary, how reliable of a gun will i end up with? Will it truly be better than a DPMS? Is that just your personal opinion or will many other knowledgeable feel the same way. I so do appreciate your input as this is a serious consideration for me. Lastly, it sounds like PSA has many different types of build kits. Is that the case? Thanks again. Gratefully, Steve

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Mapgul MOE

picture246tm.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Mapgul MOE

picture246tm.jpg

Very nice. I just didn't know if MOE was a technical term like "minute of...whatever"..So i see it looks like a good quality parts supplier. Would you mind sharing with me why, in your opinion why the MOE parts are considered an upgrade to the stock parts? Last question (for now) i see that "hammer forged" is pricier. What is hammer forged and what is the cheaper alternative? Pros/Cons??? Very curious. Thanks so so much.

Last edited:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    If you decide to have LE do your build they do a good job.

Not sure on the pricing but you probably can do it cheaper yourself

IndyColtsFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Another great feature of building your own vs. buying complete is that you can buy the components over time. This is what I did with my first AR. I bought my lower from a LGS. It set in the safe for over a year before I even bought any other pieces to go with it. I just kept my eye out online and at shows for good deals on the other components I needed and picked them up as funds allowed.

JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    Build your own. It's fun, educating and you can do it your way.

I bought my first AR...I built my last 7.

there you go. if you decide to buy your first rifle and learn the platform then build one you will be more able to tweak as you seem fit. if you decide to build youlld be able to put better parts into it without extra cost.. just depends on what will be better on your wallet. i bought my first rifle and switched out almost all of the internals and barrel. kind of made me wish i just learned and built it myself so i could have had 2 with what i spent on the the one rifle. just my :twocents:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I'll try to ansmwer a couple of the questions you asked that seemed to not get answered yet, if they did I didn't see them.

You asked if the PSA would be better than a DPMS. In a word yes. What sets them apart would be the extra steps taken to bring the PSA into line with the bottom line milspec, which serves 2 primary purposes to the .mil. One is to ensure compatibility of parts and the other is durability. Little (and not so little) things such as properly staked gas keys, 1:7 twist, proper 5.56 NATO chamber, and chrome lined bore and BCG. BCGs made from proper materials and shot peened with proper proofing and inpections. And to make all this even better, you can build one for around $700 including tools. So in other words about the price of a much more inferior DPMS.

You also asked why Magpul MOE furniture is an upgrade. To put it simply, comfort. The grips and handguards are much more comfortable and ergonomic than the old round handguards and grip.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Very nice. I just didn't know if MOE was a technical term like "minute of...whatever"..So i see it looks like a good quality parts supplier. Would you mind sharing with me why, in your opinion why the MOE parts are considered an upgrade to the stock parts? Last question (for now) i see that "hammer forged" is pricier. What is hammer forged and what is the cheaper alternative? Pros/Cons??? Very curious. Thanks so so much.

As Cerberus said, the MOE is just upgraded furniture. Pretty much a comfort factor.

A hammer forged barrel should give a longer life if you're a high volume shooter. A standard 4150 barrel will do you fine either way, hammer forged just lasts longer.

Top Bottom