• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    Hi Gang...I got my first AR a couple months ago and am hooked. I have an Xmas bonus enough to build a hunting rifle (AR Platform) for next year and was really considering the 458 Socom...but then noticed it doesn't seem to be that common. I plan to reload but my question is what is the likelihood this cartridge will be around (or better yet bullets and supplies for it) in the next few years?

It seems there is a risk to all these new wildcat type cartridges and if they will be supported long term?? :dunno:

Another caliber (IN legal and available in an AR upper) that you would recommend instead?

Thanks!

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Since the 458 bullets are also used in 45-70 etc., one should be able to find some type of bullet to load (if only a 300 hollow point) for a long time.

Primers and powder should not be an issue, thus the only thing to really worry about is cases.

.458 SOCOM History and FAQ

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It's unlikely the .458 will be obsolete in your lifetime. It will never become a mainstream caliber, but as a niche round it has a lot going for it and as mentioned, bullet selection for it is excellent.

As far as brass goes, I typically get 10-15 loadings on the brass, so buy 1k brass and you have a supply for the lifetime of the gun.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    It seems there is a risk to all these new wildcat type cartridges and if they will be supported long term?? :dunno:

Another caliber (IN legal and available in an AR upper) that you would recommend instead?

Most single supplier cartridges (speaking of brass here) are one natural, personal or business "disaster" away from it.

Ideally, you'd want something based on a commonly available cartridge where one could make their own brass if feasible.

Both are possible with the cartridges above, 284 Winchester for the 450 Bushmaster, basic 50 AE brass for the 458 SOCOM (or 50 Alaskan Starline off the same cups - with lathe work required on both). More work than many would want to do. More work than most would want to pay someone else to do.

I seem to think a few years ago we started on a list of recently released "commercial" cartridges that are now obsolete, it was staggering.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Caliber Obsolescence IS part of firearms ownership. Here are a few of the calibers I have owned or shot in my life that are almost impossible to get these days. 32-40, 405 Win .348 Win, .44 rimfire, 5mm rimfire (Daisy) .43 Egypt (from Remington) .310 cadet (BSA) and the 9mm pinfire( it was really obsolete then, but you could still find ammo. Nothing lasts forever, enjoy what you have and do not worry.

One of the nice things about the AR chassis firearms is that you can drop another barrel and bolt in it and shoot the cartridge you can get if the caliber you like goes obsolete

Last edited:

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    I'd suggest you also look at the 450 Bushmaster. Ammo is alot cheaper.

I have been going back and forth on this exact question...LOL

I have read the multiple threads on this debate...just not sure what is the best option for me.

I mean I plan to hunt dear in IN next year with this rifle...but would like the option for other game. Also I plan to reload...but the less expensive option (450) is nice.

Uggg....decisions decisions

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Just remember, the .450 uses pistol bullets and the .458 uses heavier jacketed rifle bullets. Deer is one thing, but hogs and bear are another. I guess it just depends what you plan on hunting. I went with the SOCOM and have about 600 rounds loaded and another 1000 pieces of brass in reserve. Awesome gun and really fun to shoot at the range. Sure isn't a typical .223 AR going off.:D I can load a 100 grain aluminum HP all the way up to a 700 gr. FMJ.... now thats variety.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Per your original question, obsolescence in a given caliber is virtually nonexistent.

As fireball hinted at, obsolescence by chambering comes down to brass availability. If you can't form from staple brass it comes much sooner.

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    Just remember, the .450 uses pistol bullets and the .458 uses heavier jacketed rifle bullets. Deer is one thing, but hogs and bear are another. I guess it just depends what you plan on hunting. I went with the SOCOM and have about 600 rounds loaded and another 1000 pieces of brass in reserve. Awesome gun and really fun to shoot at the range. Sure isn't a typical .223 AR going off.:D I can load a 100 grain aluminum HP all the way up to a 700 gr. FMJ.... now thats variety.

This is the same reason I keep coming back to the 458...you never know where hunting will take me...but I would like to hunt boar someday (sounds like an interesting hunting experience)

Thanks...I think this further solidified my choice.

So any recommendations on an upper? I was thinking about RR (as I have a 5.56 by them now)...but open??

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    Per your original question, obsolescence in a given caliber is virtually nonexistent.

As fireball hinted at, obsolescence by chambering comes down to brass availability. If you can't form from staple brass it comes much sooner.

Thanks...I have decided once I get the rifle built I will be ordering 500-1000 rounds of brass just to be safe long term :D

Top Bottom