• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Ok so I want an AR-15 in Nato 5.56/.223 Remington but am not sure whether I should build one or buy one. I don't want extravagant actually I want plain and simple. I have looked at the Bushmaster, DPMS, and a few others and found them on sale for around $600. My question is can I build one cheaper, or build a better one for the same money or should I just buy one for that price? The only thing I know I will add is the slide-fire stock but not right away unless it's more feasible to do so when building one. Any thoughts from you AR experts?

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    What do you want to do with it?

Also, I say scrap the slidefire idea unless you just want to waste ammo.

Ok to be honest I don't know what I want to do with it other than shoot it for now ( Maybe for a zombie apocalypse later though :laugh: :ar15:) . My buddy built one and I fell in love with it. :D He built his for about $650 so I just figured I get more opinions other than just his.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Ok to be honest I don't know what I want to do with it other than shoot it for now ( Maybe for a zombie apocalypse later though :laugh: :ar15:) . My buddy built one and I fell in love with it. :D He built his for about $650 so I just figured I get more opinions other than just his.

That's cool. What look are you wanting?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    As a general rule you can get an entry rifle cheaper than you build one for. If this is your first AR I would recomend buying your first one. But any of the entrylevel rifles would be fine for what most of us dow ith them. Look into the Palmetto State Armory, S&W MP15, DPMS would be places to look. Good luck with your purchase

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    That's cool. What look are you wanting?

Something similar to this. Just something plain and simple.

images

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Definitely build. If you look at Palmetto State Armory, you can get a kit that as far as quality and features will beat any entry level on the market. For $520 you can get a kit with the following feature that you probably won't find on any entry level rifle:

Bolt carrier- MPI/HPT M-16 carrier
    Barrel- Hammer forged, chrome lined, 1/7 twist, MPI/HPT (manufactured by FN)
    Extractor- Upgraded extractor spring for added reliability
    Front sight block- F-marked with park finish under the sight block.
    Trigger and lower parts- Great quality and fairly smooth trigger for a single stage. The hammer is rounded not notched, so it can be used with a .22 conversion.

Is all this necessary for a first AR? No, but why wouldn't you want it for the same money as an off the shelf gun. You will also feel satisfaction from building it yourself and knowing how to disassemble/re-assemble it.:twocents:

Palmetto State Armory 16'' Hammer-Forged, Chrome-Lined, Standard Rifle Kit

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Definitely build. If you look at Palmetto State Armory, you can get a kit that as far as quality and features will beat any entry level on the market. For $520 you can get a kit with the following feature that you probably won't find on any entry level rifle:

Bolt carrier- MPI/HPT M-16 carrier
    Barrel- Hammer forged, chrome lined, 1/7 twist, MPI/HPT (manufactured by FN)
    Extractor- Upgraded extractor spring for added reliability
    Front sight block- F-marked with park finish under the sight block.
    Trigger and lower parts- Great quality and fairly smooth trigger for a single stage. The hammer is rounded not notched, so it can be used with a .22 conversion.

Is all this necessary for a first AR? No, but why wouldn't you want it for the same money as an off the shelf gun. You will also feel satisfaction from building it yourself and knowing how to disassemble/re-assemble it.:twocents:

Palmetto State Armory 16'' Hammer-Forged, Chrome-Lined, Standard Rifle Kit

Does this kit include everything needed to build the complete rifle? Thanks for the info.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I say build one... IMO you will have better respect for the rifle, especially with it being your first AR, plus it will help you gain more knowledge to how everything goes together and operates. This will also help you be able to troubleshoot any problems that may arise later on down the road. I built my first AR and don't regret it at all. Went to the 1500 and got all the parts needed and built a plain jane flat top AR right at around $650. Then the BRD set in and now I've got around $1100 into it.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I would get one already assembled. If you don't like certain things about it down the road, just resell it and build your own. This way if/when you decide to build your own you know what your likes and dislikes are. I would think a stock AR would be easier to resell than a "Frankenstein" one anyways. Also, if you buy a new assembled unit there will be a warranty if you have issues with it. Just my :twocents:

Top Bottom