• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dfb33b

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Hello gents,

I am reaching out to you for some insight. I am looking at buying a Marlin 45-70 guide gun from a listing on Ammo List. I have a question for you more experience folks on here.

1. I am planning to use this rifle as a hog hunting and deer hunting rifle in Indiana? Any thoughts/recommendations on that?
    2. I am buying it from an individual who is selling it as a LNIB never been fired gun. Is there anything I should be wary of buying from an individual?

Thanks for your responses ahead of time.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    45-70 is not a legal round in a rifle for deer in IN. Now you could trim the brass to 1.8" and continue on and I may well give that a shot with my Highwall. Make sure it has a JM stamp - The Remington made rifles have been pretty bad over all.

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    I have had my stainless guide gun for about 4 or so years. It's short length, light weight and sheer power are what I like best about it. Being a Marlin, it is built tough. Sights are fine and accuracy is plenty sufficient for the normal ranges a gun like this is meant for. Recoil is surprisingly manageable. I load all my own ammo, so cost is very reasonable.
    As for buying from an individual, just use your instincts. I personally hate to fill out a 4473 form, as I don't care for nor trust my govt. Much prefer to buy from an individual. Have only been stung once or twice in my life and that is not bad at all. have owned many hundreds of guns in past 50 or so years. Almost all from individuals. Just inspect it. I recently saw a blued GG on the net. May be the one you are buying. Price was quite good! Would have bought it myself if I didn't already own one.....I say buy it!.......John:yesway:

dfb33b

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Okay correct me if I am wrong but this is from the DNR website

"
    Hunting Equipment

• Allows a crossbow to be used by any hunter during the archery season with a special crossbow license (unless the person has a resident youth consolidated hunting license, a comprehensive lifetime hunting license, or is exempt from needing a license)
    • Allows any hunter to use a crossbow in an urban deer zone during the urban deer season
    • Allows a rifle cartridge to have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches instead of 1.625 inches"

Link is Here

It looks like to me the 45-70 is now legal to hunt deer with.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    Okay correct me if I am wrong but this is from the DNR website

"
    Hunting Equipment

• Allows a crossbow to be used by any hunter during the archery season with a special crossbow license (unless the person has a resident youth consolidated hunting license, a comprehensive lifetime hunting license, or is exempt from needing a license)
    • Allows any hunter to use a crossbow in an urban deer zone during the urban deer season
    • Allows a rifle cartridge to have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches instead of 1.625 inches"

Link is Here

It looks like to me the 45-70 is now legal to hunt deer with.

The .45-70 is over 2" in case length. Thus too large.

Edit: Beat by seconds by dbd870.

dfb33b

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Thank you for squaring me away. Okay so back to the drawing board.

While I have your attention maybe you guys can give me some suggestions. I am looking for a rifle that I can use to hunt both hogs and deer.

I know there is the Marlin 357 and 44, but they are hard to find. So I am open to any other recommendations. I am also looking to stay under $500.

Thanks again for all of your input.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Obviously the Handi Rifle is in your budget. You may be able to pick up a Deerfield for that price with a little patience. The 77/44's are more than that new - an older used one could be a possibility I suppose; $500 may not get it though even then.

dfb33b

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Okay a quick question.

Marlin makes a .44 lever action in two styles correct?

The .44 Mag which shouts the Remington Magnum (1.285 inch cartridge)
    and the Marlin 444ss which shoots a .44 in a much larger cartridge.

Is that correct? Again thanks again. I am trying to get lurnt.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    The 1894 is indeed a 44Mag. as you stated. The 444 Guns (there were several configurations and have been dropped for 2012) is a 444 which is not so much like a longer 44 but more like a 45-70. They do both use the same diameter bullets. The 444 vs 45-70 arguments are about as nocuous as the 9vs40vs45 ones, and about as pointless.

The 44 pushes a 300gr bullet around 1400-1450
    The 444 is around 2000
    The 45-70 (in a Marlin) around 2100

dfb33b

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    The 1894 is indeed a 44Mag. as you stated. The 444 Guns (there were several configurations and have been dropped for 2012) is a 444 which is not so much like a longer 44 but more like a 45-70. They do both use the same diameter bullets. The 444 vs 45-70 arguments are about as nocuous as the 9vs40vs45 ones, and about as pointless.

The 44 pushes a 300gr bullet around 1400-1450
    The 444 is around 2000
    The 45-70 (in a Marlin) around 2100
    :bowdown: Thanks again DBD....You are a walking library of knowledge on firearms.

I think I have settled in on a Marlin 1894 .44Mag I have found several in my price range. Thanks again for all of your feed back. I did look for the Ruger 77/44, but as you mentioned pretty much every one I came across was $600-650 plus.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Nah; I just seem to be on this foolish quest to own something in every caliber known to man, already have all of the ones we've discussed covered! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom