• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cdscds

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Hi, I just picked up a Winchester 52B target rifle, probably in about 85% condition for $650 out the door. Its missing its rear sights, wood has some dings here and there, but the metal is in good shape, and the bore looked real good. No knowing much about these other than the stories of them being great shooters, I was wondering if I did okay. Personal opinions welcome, was the gun worth the $650, or have I sunk myself in a not so hot deal.

Okay, all that being said, I am also looking for things for this rifle. Like the rear sights, a quality front hand stop, arm hook, and any other old extras they used to use with these rifles. If anyone has them, or knows where I can get some let me know PLEASE!

Finally, my last question is about my choice of optics. I have a same era 1940s-1960s redfield 20x scope. Its long, ugly, but very clear. I want to use that because of similar age and such, but I also like the leupold 24x bench scopes. In your opinion would I be better served with the leupold, or do we think the Redfield can handle the job equally?

Any opinions and advice here are greatly appreciated. Thanks INGO!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    hat old denver redfield will work fine. Upgrade later if needed.

You did good on it for 650. won't be worth less in 10 years no matter how many rounds it sends do range.

Might check numrich for a rear sight, It also might be tapped for a peep rear.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Great old rifle. It is too bad that you really cannot buy man sized .22 rimfires these days. There is no way one would ever need a 24X scope on a .22 rimfire. I used to be pretty steady and an 8 power was darn hard to hold aim. Unless you are going to sand bag it down to a bench, you would never even find the target because your heart beat would move the field of view like a roller coaster.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I learned to shoot on a 52b. Great rifles. The one from my youth still sits in my fathers gun cabinet. One day it will be mine. My sister will probably make off with it but she is money centric. So one day it will be mine.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a 52B, well, just the barrel! I picked up a Winchester model 1885 "Low-Wall" that someone has re-barreled with a 52B barrel in order to convert it from .22 short to .22 Lr.

That is one tack-driving combo, and I gave $200 for mine.
    It's not stock, but it's got a huge match style custom stock and Lyman peep-sights.
    I really love that rifle.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Hi, I just picked up a Winchester 52B target rifle, probably in about 85% condition for $650 out the door. Its missing its rear sights, wood has some dings here and there, but the metal is in good shape, and the bore looked real good. No knowing much about these other than the stories of them being great shooters, I was wondering if I did okay. Personal opinions welcome, was the gun worth the $650, or have I sunk myself in a not so hot deal.

Okay, all that being said, I am also looking for things for this rifle. Like the rear sights, a quality front hand stop, arm hook, and any other old extras they used to use with these rifles. If anyone has them, or knows where I can get some let me know PLEASE!

Finally, my last question is about my choice of optics. I have a same era 1940s-1960s redfield 20x scope. Its long, ugly, but very clear. I want to use that because of similar age and such, but I also like the leupold 24x bench scopes. In your opinion would I be better served with the leupold, or do we think the Redfield can handle the job equally?

Any opinions and advice here are greatly appreciated. Thanks INGO!

Sounds like you did Ok to me....I have, ummm several 52's and I wouldnt sell even the clunker of the bunch for $650....use the Redfield( what model is it? 3200? 6400?), especially if you already have it,it would be silly to drop the $$ on a Leupold 24X...Unless your Actually going to be shooting BR50 matches its MORE than enough scope....too much at times...if your shooting anything other than paper....You will love the way it shoots, I've never had a bad one yet, no matter how beat up and rough, as long as the action/barrel isnt messed with your good to go....feel free to pm if you have any questions...their kinda my speciality :) as my screenanme would indicate..Ha

G-Niner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Nice old rifles, hard to find in good condition. I've had two 52C's over the years - a heavy barrel and a standard barrel. Still have the lighter one, all original, including Redfield Olympics with inserts and the single shot adapter.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    For 650 and it hasnt been used for a hammer or prybar you did good imho. The Redfield scope will work fine for you and keep that nostalgic feel too. Maybe look at a Unertl or Lyman STS if you want to upgrade and stay in the same era. Sights would be the Redfield International or Olympic if youre looking to have a complete sight set up. Ebay usually has a good selection to pick from and should be able to find mounts there too. Ebay is a good place to find hard to find pieces if Numrich doesnt have any. If not shoot me a PM and could probably help you find some. Good find, enjoy .

Top Bottom