• Which one would you buy?

• Total voters

watkins1988

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Indy
    Ok I have a last chance to buy a gun for what may be a long while(I have a baby on the way.) This will mostly be a fun gun. I have a 12 guage and bolt action rifles, 22 rifle, and hanguns. I dont have a semi auto rifle and since I dont currently have a place to shoot rifles I decided to go with a pistol caliber carbine. Which one would you choose and why?

I'm leaning toward the sub2000 but i want to hear your opinion.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't have experience with either carbine but I would pick the Kel-Tec over the Hi-Point any day.

I've heard good and bad about both carbines.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have the Kel-Tec in 40 cal. It works just like it is supposed to without any problems (~200 rounds). I like mine a lot and it uses the same magazine as my Glock pistol. Plus it folds into a very portable/packable size. I think the 9mm would be easily as good a choice if you match it with the right pistol.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I've heard the hi-points are actually really nice. I have owned a KelTec and loved it. It's up to you. The one thing I would remember is that the KelTec can be stored or transported folded up, which is nice for a backpack or something.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Man you took the question right out of my head! I haven't made up my mind yet, I am waiting and researching. I thought I wanted the kel tec but the hi point by all accounts runs perfect and is accurate. I don't think either is a bad choice, but I am going to take my time. :) Good luck!

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I have both in 9mm. If you (or anyone else on the fence) are on the westside or going to atterbury let me know I will bring them and let you try them out!

The HiPoint is built like a tank and is super super accurate. The Sub2k is so cool because it folds. It is not quite as accurate as the HiPoint.

I love both but will have to lean towards the Sub2k simply becuase it takes the same mags as my beretta. If you have a handgun that the Sub2k can run with, no brainer, get the Sub2k. If not, flip a coin...either way you win.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    A close friend has a high point, I have the Kel Tec. He wants to get a Sub2000, I don't want to get a High Point.

Also, the Kel Tec can use your pistol mags.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Own both. Prefer the high point for everything but stuffing in my BOB. The kel-tec takes honors for that because it can fold. Plus the kel-tec has the ability to use different mags.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I love my hi point. I have put 600 rds through it with out a single issue. I highly recommend it. The only issue I have is it can be tough to find extra mags.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    If I had a choice Id go with the Sub 2k but only because they look better and they fold up. I have a 995s HiPoint and it functions perfectly. Just not much on the looks.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    Let me sum it up for you...33 round mags that are interchangeable with my g19. Or 15 rounders for the HP. Foldable and light to fit in a BOB. Nuff said. Good luck finding one that you don't have to take a loan out for though.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I have the su2k in glock 9mm. What fun, I have added the the suggested butt extension, rail and folding grip and a few other creature comfort items all for under $100. total. Its a novalty to go along with my pmr-30. What else can you buy that people are waiting in line to purchase? KEL-TEC ALL THE WAY. ENJOY

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Have owned both.. they are similar but different enough (IMO) to not compare the two. The S2k is more utilitarian, HiPoint more fungun I think..

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Owned both the KelTec and Hi-Point

KelTec, hated it because it was like shooting a stick, although the folding feature was nice, mounting optics takes away the folding option.

Hi-Point, had the original 995, not the TS, hated the POTA (Planet of the Apes) stock so I switched it out for an ATI, and loved it.....

But hated the fact that the only reliable mag was the factory 10 rounders and the aftermarket ones was an adventure because of having to readjust the feed lips to get it to feed accurately.

So I'm going with other.

Just Right Carbine, uses Glock mags, 10,17 and 33 rounders all work, can get the barrel with either threaded or non threaded, uses some AR parts on it so you can modify it the way you want.

Comes with a free floated barrel with attached ff quad rail, also has rail on the top of the receiver for scope mounting.

It can be reconfigured for either right or left hand ejection, and can set up the charging bolt for either side also.

Only thing I don't like is there is no last round lock back on the bolt.

It's more controllable to fire than the KelTec and Hi-Point to me and really feels comfortable to handle.

There is also one other big plus.

You can buy .40 and .45 cal conversion kits to swap out and run those rounds. This right here tickles me pink on this because I really want to get the .40 conversion.

I also want to get another 9mm barrel but have it threaded and go with a suppressor, and maybe even thinking of chopping down the original barrel and threading it and using it as a SBR option.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I just checked out those just right carbines, they are $699 on their website. That is really not comparable to the Keltec or Hi Point strickly on price. You could just buy an AR-15 for close to that price. Why buy a gun that just uses a few of the parts when you can get the real deal.

Maybe its cheaper at other online stores, but 699 is way too much imo.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    You can buy a select few AR15s for less than $700, but that won't do you any good if you are trying to find something that fires a pistol round - something the OP required because he doesn't have a place to shoot rifle rounds..

I dunno about the rules at these ranges, as I shoot outside.. OP said he had a 22 rifle, if it ISN'T a 10/22 I would highly suggest one of those. Between the HiPoint and Sub2k, dang, that's tough for me.. I think more and more about these two and I like both for entirely different reasons. I'd really put the HiPoint and 10/22 in one category (sorta kinda, even though you have way more options for customization with the Ruger) and the Sub2k is different enough to put it in a whole other category. They're both really cool for what they are, but I do'nt know how I could recommend one over the other..

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I just checked out those just right carbines, they are $699 on their website. That is really not comparable to the Keltec or Hi Point strickly on price. You could just buy an AR-15 for close to that price. Why buy a gun that just uses a few of the parts when you can get the real deal.

Maybe its cheaper at other online stores, but 699 is way too much imo.

But while the KelTec or H-Point do not fit into JR's price range, neither of them in my opinion fall into JR's quality and versatility range.

Bought mine for 589.00 at Bradis, and has the functionality of adding conversions to it.

Something neither KelTec or Hi-Point can do.

Top Bottom