• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dkrex001

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    Ok I got my rock river arms 458 socom upper last week I shot 3 rounds then the bolt locked up/ round stuck in the chamber. I have only tryed Corbon 300gr. Can't find any other ammo in fort Wayne. Is there anyone with a 458 socom AR that has had this problem. Or is there something I can try. If there is someone in fort Wayne that has some ammo other than Corbon that I can buy to try it would be very appreciated. Any help
    Rock river said to clean the upper with a grinded down 12 gauge berrel brush. I tryed it but a no go.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Mine did that at first too. The chambers are tight and a bit rough. It didn't take long to shoot out and become reliable.

Dkrex001

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    So I just need to shoot it and change ammo? It just scares me because when the round get stuck it the chamber I have to take the upper off and pry the bolt back. The charge handle will not pull the bolt back.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    That's what I did. It took ~20 rounds to start smoothing out and ejecting. I could only find CorBon at first too but the SBR ammo did the same thing.

Don't take the upper off. Point the riffle up, firmly hold the charge handle and smack the buttstock on a hard surface.

Dkrex001

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    Ok thanks I will just get some more ammo and go shooting. What brands of ammo you have tryed do you like the most.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've tried:
    CorBon JHP hunter
    SBR in several loads
    Blue box reloads from the guy @ the Indy 1500 in 300 JHP & 410 gr TFMJ (I think).

All shoot great through the gun now except the longest 405 grain SBR. That one tends to hang up a little on the feed ramp. They all seem to group within ~1.5" @ 50 yards.

I use a slightly modified P-mag (the ones with the V guide at the front of the follower) for all of the JHP. The longer bullets work better in metal mags but I haven't tried running any rounds through the newer Pmags without the V.

The 400+ grain will put a serious GONG onto some Bobcat steel!

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Im running a RRA upper and never had this problem, but have heard of the rough chamber issue with their uppers. I was told to use a 20 ga. bore mop with Flitz on it in a drill to polish out the chamber. I'd use the Flitz sparingly and make sure the chamber is clean before trying to fire a round.

Top Bottom