• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Ok guys, what do you think is the best Indiana specific SHTF rifle?

Edit: upped the budget :D
    -Because of forests and hills, 300 yards is probably the max distance you'll be shooting.
    -Ammo must be common.
    -Parts must be somewhat easy to find.
    -Reliability is a huge plus (must be easy to care for as well).
    -Optics are allowed, but not nessecary.
    -You have only $1000
    -Magazines (if used) must be relatively cheap.
    -Primarily used for taking game but can be used for self-defense in a pinch.

Oh yeah, NO AKs or AR-15s!

What would you guys, under these guidelines, consider the best SHTF rifle for us Indiana residents?

P.S. yeah SHTF weapon discussions have been beaten to death on the Internet. I've not however seen one with these stipulations. Let's see what you guys think.

Last edited:

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    He said under $500 and for taking game, the .223 isn't something I would want to shoot a deer with unless I was 100% sure I could get a headshot off.

Guys are dropping big hogs with .223, I think it would do just fine with deer provided it were legal...

All of that for under $500?

You're looking at probably a Mini-14 or SKS. Bolt guns are difficult to use for self-defense, so if self defense is any part of the crieteria I'd definately look at semi-auto.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Ruger 10/22 and Ruger 10/22 Take-down

and yes, a .22 could kill any game with a well placed shot.

"being legal" caliber wouldn't matter when SHTF, there wouldn't be any "hunting seasons" in my book.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    What type of game? Considering the abundance of squirel and rabbit, I would go with a 10/22. Would definitely be able to survive with it, and in a pinch could be used for SD. Ammo cost is cheap, and mags aren't too expensive.

If its a type of SHTF where I don't want to be seen, a small propane grill, or small fire; is more than enough to cook rabbit/squirrel. Much larger, and it'd need to be a larger fire. Also, you can get a 22 can relatively cheap right now.

I guess the real question is what kind of shtf are you talking about?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Ruger 10/22 and Ruger 10/22 Take-down

and yes, a .22 could kill any game with a well placed shot.

"being legal" caliber wouldn't matter when SHTF, there wouldn't be any "hunting seasons" in my book.

:yesway:

Another nice thing is how quiet they are even without a suppressor. SHTF, the less you've got to advertise your movements and actions the better.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Guys are dropping big hogs with .223, I think it would do just fine with deer provided it were legal...

All of that for under $500?

You're looking at probably a Mini-14 or SKS. Bolt guns are difficult to use for self-defense, so if self defense is any part of the crieteria I'd definately look at semi-auto.

I agree with everything he says above. 223 will easily kill a deer, since they are thick enough for the bullet to roll, unless maybe you hit them in the neck. 223 is ideal for self defense too, and it has maximum practical range of about 300yds. Nothing smaller, like 22 would be sufficient for deer. 223 is also the most standard, so intermediate or bobcat rounds are out. And, like he said, the most popular and affordable 223 rifle is the Ruger Mini 14.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I agree with everything he says above. 223 will easily kill a deer, since they are thick enough for the bullet to roll, unless maybe you hit them in the neck. 223 is ideal for self defense too, and it has maximum practical range of about 300yds. Nothing smaller, like 22 would be sufficient for deer. 223 is also the most standard, so intermediate or bobcat rounds are out. And, like he said, the most popular and affordable 223 rifle is the Ruger Mini 14.

Yep, .22 LR would be sufficient for any game animal in Indiana other than deer.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Yep, .22 LR would be sufficient for any game animal in Indiana other than deer.

And deer is what I will be hunting almost exclusively for meat if SHTF, unless cows get loose and roam through the woods (easy head shot). Freeze or smoke the deer meat and eat for weeks, while building shelter, etc. Whereas hunting small game means you have to clean and prepare every single day, and that leaves less time for security, etc.

EDIT: Okay Mosinguy, assuming you could head shot a deer with a 22, the OP said 300yds, AND for self defense, and it doesn't fit those requirements. So 22lr should be excluded, at least the Ruger 10/22. Maybe Ruger 10/17 or a 22 magnum rifle would be a better argument, but I'd personally be using a 223.

PS -:facepalm:

Last edited:

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Haha, I wouldn't elaborate any more if I were you other than to say that shot was not taken in Indiana.

Honestly I know a guy who knows someone out of state. I have no reason to not believe them. But .22s do have more power than people give credit for. When SHTF, I doubt few will be trophy hunting so headshots will be paramount.

Top Bottom