• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I'm toying around with the idea of putting together an AR-15 sniper build. I've never worked on, shot, or messed with any AR type rifles and am completely new to it. I've been reading a lot, watching youtube videos, and searching through some of the websites that sell AR's and their parts and accessories. I've ran through some of the posts here on INGO as well, so I know, or rather have read, the basics of the process and appreciate all the posts that have come before mine asking for advice.

For the record I am wanting to get a Krieger barrel made for the build and am looking at something 20-24" in length. I do not want this loaded up with 10 million attachments. No light, no iron sights, etc... I plan on sighting the laser in at 50yds and the scope at a longer range I haven't decided on, but I'm leaning towards 150yds or 300yds.

Rather than ask you all what lower and upper to get I'd rather ask "What lower and upper would you NOT get." This question will help me eliminate options rather than add more to the list. Also one other question would be "Should I buy a stock AR and just upgrade it rather than piece out a lower and upper?" I do want this to be chambered for 5.56 and I'm not wanting to spend an egregious amount on the lower and upper so something like Noveske is probably out, but I want something solid, reliable, and from a company that has good customer service. I'm not looking for the best "value" I'm looking for the best I can get for say 1500 usd total.

Below you will find the accessories I am planning on getting for the AR build, any negative or positive experience with any of these would be welcome, if you give negative please provide an alternative to what I have below.

Scope: NightForce 12 - 42 x 56mm Precision Benchrest Illuminated Reticle Riflescopes - NP-R2 - Reticle
    (Perhaps overkill but overkill never fails.)

Stock: MagPul - PRS® Precision-Adjustable Stock – AR15/M16 (5.56x45) Model - Extended rubber pad

Foregrip: MagPul - AFG2™ - Angled Fore Grip

Bipod: "Harris - HBLMS Harris Bipod 9"" to 13""
    with notches (Swivels)"

Laser: Lasermax - Uni-max Green Laser

Magazines: MagPul PMAG® 20, 5.56x45 Magazine

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Congrats on the new project! Should be fun!

A few thoughts:

I would nix the foregrip and laser. I'm guessing you're thinking this could serve some "double duty", but what you've described sounds like a dedicated bench/bi-pod gun, and not something you'd want to wield offhand.

Have you ever done any reading on the MK12? Would look similar to these:

mk-12-navy-seal-steel-b.jpg

(this belongs to INGOer mvician)

MillettTRS1001.jpg

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    8)

A few thoughts:

I would nix the foregrip and laser. I'm guessing you're thinking this could serve some "double duty", but what you've described sounds like a dedicated bench/bi-pod gun, and not something you'd want to wield offhand.

I wasn't looking for any double duty on it really, I like having a grip on the front of the gun, and I also like to shoot standing so I figured that the angled grip would be better than just grabbing the rails or a standard foregrip. The laser I wanted so I could use the scope for long shots but not have to concern myself with closer range with the scope. I can say the laser was a late add and if money gets tight it will get nixed pretty quick.

I have now, it says that the MK12 is not an AR15, if I decided to forgo the sniper set up and make it a money sink would that hinder my ability to modify and/or put in parts?

Very nice and close to what I envision.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I wasn't looking for any double duty on it really, I like having a grip on the front of the gun, and I also like to shoot standing so I figured that the angled grip would be better than just grabbing the rails or a standard foregrip. The laser I wanted so I could use the scope for long shots but not have to concern myself with closer range with the scope. I can say the laser was a late add and if money gets tight it will get nixed pretty quick.

I just think it sounds like a lot of gun to be shooting while standing. Not that its impossible, just unlikely. The AFG could be handy if you shoot prone with sling support in lieu of a bi-pod.

I'm not sure how you would aim with a laser if you had a scope mounted. It would be awkward.

My advice is to decide now how you will use this gun. If you want to shoot offhand standing with the potential to shoot from 50 out to 250 yards then go with a 16" middy and a 1-4x scope. If you want to shoot 0-100 yards then go SBR with an Aimpoint. But if your goal is to really hit out at 300+ yards, then build something dedicated to that goal (which is what your original specs sound like). ARs are versatile but one gun/optic can't do everything well.

I have now, it says that the MK12 is not an AR15, if I decided to forgo the sniper set up and make it a money sink would that hinder my ability to modify and/or put in parts?

The MK12 is an AR. We civvys call them AR-15s and the military has designated that particular setup as a MK12. Same gun, same platform. If you built one similar to the ones pictured, you could still swap out parts with other ARs.

Some basics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_12_Special_Purpose_Rifle

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I'm toying around with the idea of putting together an AR-15 sniper build. I've never worked on, shot, or messed with any AR type rifles and am completely new to it. I've been reading a lot, watching youtube videos, and searching through some of the websites that sell AR's and their parts and accessories. I've ran through some of the posts here on INGO as well, so I know, or rather have read, the basics of the process and appreciate all the posts that have come before mine asking for advice.

For the record I am wanting to get a Krieger barrel made for the build and am looking at something 20-24" in length. I do not want this loaded up with 10 million attachments. No light, no iron sights, etc... I plan on sighting the laser in at 50yds and the scope at a longer range I haven't decided on, but I'm leaning towards 150yds or 300yds.

Rather than ask you all what lower and upper to get I'd rather ask "What lower and upper would you NOT get." This question will help me eliminate options rather than add more to the list. Also one other question would be "Should I buy a stock AR and just upgrade it rather than piece out a lower and upper?" I do want this to be chambered for 5.56 and I'm not wanting to spend an egregious amount on the lower and upper so something like Noveske is probably out, but I want something solid, reliable, and from a company that has good customer service. I'm not looking for the best "value" I'm looking for the best I can get for say 1500 usd total.

Below you will find the accessories I am planning on getting for the AR build, any negative or positive experience with any of these would be welcome, if you give negative please provide an alternative to what I have below.

Scope: NightForce 12 - 42 x 56mm Precision Benchrest Illuminated Reticle Riflescopes - NP-R2 - Reticle
    (Perhaps overkill but overkill never fails.)

Stock: MagPul - PRS® Precision-Adjustable Stock – AR15/M16 (5.56x45) Model - Extended rubber pad

Foregrip: MagPul - AFG2™ - Angled Fore Grip

Bipod: "Harris - HBLMS Harris Bipod 9"" to 13""
    with notches (Swivels)"

Laser: Lasermax - Uni-max Green Laser

Magazines: MagPul PMAG® 20, 5.56x45 Magazine
    Too much scope, your field of view will suck:n00b:

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Is the receiver the only real difference? From what I'm reading it's more geared toward providing long range accuracy than the AR-15 receiver. And it seems to be significantly more expensive.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Is the receiver the only real difference? From what I'm reading it's more geared toward providing long range accuracy than the AR-15 receiver. And it seems to be significantly more expensive.

No, the upper and lower receivers are the exact same as every other AR-15. The difference is in the configuration-- the barrel, the flash hider, the scope, etc.

The MK12 is just a configuration-- its not something you can walk into your local gun shop and purchase. Remember, ARs are like LEGOs. You just buy the parts that support your shooting goal.

So you could buy a regular AR lower receiver:

2AR-15_Lower%20-%20pix02.jpg

A lower parts kit:

aa92fde10b73eb1e8da30cc93eab94ab.image.750x393.jpg

An upgraded trigger that will help with long-range accuracy:

IMG_4488-SSA-E-Trigger.jpg

A stock:

26_420_popup.jpg

A regular AR upper receiver:

images

A barrel of your choice:

l_231000323_4.jpg

A handguard or rail system:

PN%2098065%20M5%20Rail%20Adapter.jpg

A few other miscellaneous parts and you've got yourself a MK12 clone. The level of "authenticity" is up to you and how much you like chasing down "proper" MK12 parts.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Man, that Mk12 Mod 1 clone pictured above :rockwoot:

:D

There are a few places the sell Mk12 clones if you want to go that route.
    Bravo Company, High Caliber, off the top of my head.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In

A few thoughts:

(this belongs to INGOer mvician)
    Man I love the look of this rifle!
    MillettTRS1001.jpg

If your looking for just a long range plinking set-up. Do as Esrice listed out for you with the parts and put together. When i did my long range AR, I did the same just started to buy components as I got the money and before ya know it I was putting it together and taking it to the range. Nothing like the first round out of a newly assembled AR:D

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I see now. Thanks guys. Now all I have to do is find myself a lower to get started.

Don't get too wrapped around the axle when it comes to picking a lower. Find a newly manufactured lower with a logo that doesn't disgust you and you'll be fine.

There are some lowers out there that have "special" features like beefed up stress points, flared magwells, built-in tensioners, etc. They are cool, but don't feel like you must have a $200 stripped lower.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    any links to share on lowers so I can pick my logo :whistle:

Some of the recently popular ones:

Spike's Tactical

ST-15%20Stripped%20lower.jpg

STLS015.jpg

STLS016-CE-1.jpg

Palmetto State Armory

psa1560.jpg

Noveske Rifleworks

images

Surplus Arms & Ammo

f1sasl.jpg

CMMG

509.jpg

DPMS

dpmslrs450.jpg

Doublestar

roll-marks-1-pshopped.jpg

LMT

DSC07330cop11y.jpg

Daniel Defense

844113.jpg

Rock River Arms

rrastrlwrlar15.jpg

Stag Arms

STAG%205.56.jpg

Bushmaster

strippedii0.jpg

And the list goes on . . . . . .

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I was looking at the Spikes Tactical ones, But, zombies, punisher, and pirates aren't my thing really. The standard spider isn't bad I guess. The prices on them aren't terrible either, of course I'll have to do a transfer on it too.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I just got my spikes tactical st-15 (the standard one) for $89.95 from http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/. I also ordered a hoodie and got free shipping and a free tshirt. $20 transfer fee at Indy trading post and I was good to go. Now I have to sit and wait and read and decide what else I want. Go to their page and find the lower you want and sign up for the email notification for when it gets back in stock if it's out and wait.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The wife is looking to get something similar, not really for plinking though, she is going to be the DM for the family.:D In all honesty we are probably not going to build it though. She also won't be getting a Nightforce. Maybe something like this but with a magnified optic instead of the RDS.

predatar556profile.jpg

Top Bottom